Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why does my car not blow warm air? No Heat. AC works.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow Red, I take it you're very serious about hot air in your 996! I don't bother with it, that's what my wife is for. hahaha Seriously, keep up the good work and for goodness sakes, don't break anything! lol
Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Red5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Wow Red, I take it you're very serious about hot air in your 996! I don't bother with it, that's what my wife is for. hahaha Seriously, keep up the good work and for goodness sakes, don't break anything! lol

It gets cold here in Kentucky. And even on Spring and Fall nights it's a good thing to have. I enjoy driving around with my top down all year long. Heat is needed. Figured that if I fuch things up too bad it won't be worse then what I already have. Worse case scenario I'll divert all water flow from the heat exchange box and only have AC. The GF puts out a lot of heat, and I love it, but she is not always in the car with me. My goal is to finish this project after work tonight. I'll let you guys know if it works.

Also. What if I reached down and put tape on the part of the flap that I can see from the outside? Does the smaller half run the heat and the larger the AC?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, red. Exact same symptoms.

Coolant was good, burped the system. Replaced thermostat, replaced radiator.

I am ripping my dash out next month to put in a new dash with a glovebox. I'll be taking care of the foam then. I hope that will be the end of the rabbit hole, as there is nothing left to do after that.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:22 PM
R324U
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Also. What if I reached down and put tape on the part of the flap that I can see from the outside? Does the smaller half run the heat and the larger the AC?
I would give that a shot, I'll probably try the same when I get around to it.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:58 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dealer Repair

For those who aren't great wrench turners (like me) and a little lazy (definitely me), how much will the dealer charge to repair/replace the flap or an independent for that matter. I have the exact same symptoms; polar cold with the AC on but no heat at all.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 757 Posts

The blend doors in the underdash HVAC box are what causes the problem. Really have to take the whole dash apart to fix the foam on the blend doors. That being said, my 99 C2 puked all of the foam out the vents years ago and I still have plenty of heat and AC. Of course now with that being said, for a temporary fix (maybe for those cold winter months), wrap the pollen filter in plastic so NO outside air gets in the cabin. That way there is no outside air blended in the HVAC box and all you will get is heat and AC. Put heat on high and push the recirc button so only inside heated air gets recirculated through the system.

I've never seen an estimate from a dealer for repair to the blend doors....but since it entails pulling the entire dash apart, I would imagine very big bucks. Even the alternate route of pulling out the heater core to access the one door...well, I don't think a dealer would go that route. They probably would say "we have to replace the whole unit with new". Very big $$$$.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

I was given a quote, and it was very high.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Red5
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
The blend doors in the underdash HVAC box are what causes the problem. Really have to take the whole dash apart to fix the foam on the blend doors. That being said, my 99 C2 puked all of the foam out the vents years ago and I still have plenty of heat and AC. Of course now with that being said, for a temporary fix (maybe for those cold winter months), wrap the pollen filter in plastic so NO outside air gets in the cabin. That way there is no outside air blended in the HVAC box and all you will get is heat and AC. Put heat on high and push the recirc button so only inside heated air gets recirculated through the system.

I SO wish I had thought of this before tearing into my 911.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:18 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never seen an estimate from a dealer for repair to the blend doors....but since it entails pulling the entire dash apart, I would imagine very big bucks. Even the alternate route of pulling out the heater core to access the one door...well, I don't think a dealer would go that route. They probably would say "we have to replace the whole unit with new". Very big $$$$.
To be clear - LOL. Are you saying the filter that's in the frunk near the battery -
1. wrap it plastic
2. heat control on high
3. turn on recirc button
And presto - Heat in the cabin

It can't be this simple LOL - super curious how you discovered this.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:12 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by 911STYL
To be clear - LOL. Are you saying the filter that's in the frunk near the battery -
1. wrap it plastic
2. heat control on high
3. turn on recirc button
And presto - Heat in the cabin

It can't be this simple LOL - super curious how you discovered this.
Ummmm....yes. The problem with the deteriorating foam on the internal flap doors is that the blend doors no longer provide adequate flow control from outside air getting into the cabin. The entire mix within the HVAC box is uncontrolled. By blocking the pollen filter, the only source of outside air to the HVAC box, putting the heat on high and recirc will only allow inside cabin air to be recirculated and heated, and not mixed with uncontrolled outside air entering the system.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

And it may continue to blow bits of foam into the cabin. Red, you're almost there with this fix. I'm sure you can finish it - you've done most of the hard work already.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Ummmm....yes. The problem with the deteriorating foam on the internal flap doors is that the blend doors no longer provide adequate flow control from outside air getting into the cabin. The entire mix within the HVAC box is uncontrolled. By blocking the pollen filter, the only source of outside air to the HVAC box, putting the heat on high and recirc will only allow inside cabin air to be recirculated and heated, and not mixed with uncontrolled outside air entering the system.
will keep this in mind if I every totally loose heat!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Red5
Instructor

Spent a good amount of time trying to reach the bottom of the flapper. Then I did something..... Wish I had done this to start with. I removed the stereo, HVAC computer thing and the upper vent (7 minute job). Then I took a freaking razor blade and I cut a hole big enough for my hand to fit through in the air chamber. I then reached in and taped it up. Then I taped up where I cut the hole. Problem solved. I now have heat. If I had it to do over again I would do as the previous posted said and plugged the fresh air vent.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

From looking at that picture, can we see the hole that you taped up? I don't know the location of the flaps and I'm trying to visualize what you did..I may do the same!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Oh my, new thing for everyone to inspect on a PPI - pull the radio and see if the owner hacked a hole in the hvac. Such a sad day...
The following users liked this post:
Biotic17 (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Why does my car not blow warm air? No Heat. AC works.