Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why does my car not blow warm air? No Heat. AC works.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019 | 12:38 PM
parris
Pro

It is very common on the "volkswagens" from the nineties.

The foams on the diverter just fly away and on heat air can be directed to the cabin anymore.
Old 02-18-2019 | 12:41 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red5
Have you done this repair? The pictures on that guys tutorial are terrible. Can't see what he is talking about. I'd like to get large pictures so I can see where to go in etc. I don't want to just take a sawzall to my Porsche and go after a flap in the HVAC unit.
You need to get to it - you can remove the dash (been there, done that, pain in the ****), or you can take the easy way and go in under the battery. Either way, it isn't a quick fix. Completely doable by a competent DIY, but not a no brainer. And there is no sawzall required (IIRC), just a dremel with a cutoff wheel.
Old 02-18-2019 | 12:49 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by michaelo
And why did you change the digital cluster???
I wondered the same thing!

OP, this fix is not easy. Read about this one years ago because of the symptoms of foam in the air vents. Common symptom of the problem. I'm like you, I don't want to cut into my blower unit and so what I do during the winters, is turn off the air vents on the upper dash, redirect the air at the feet, turn the control unit on HI and enjoy lots of heat at the feet. Works for me.
Old 02-18-2019 | 01:17 PM
Red5
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaelo
And why did you change the digital cluster???
The digital part was not working. Bought one on ebay, simple replacement.

Originally Posted by cds72911
You need to get to it - you can remove the dash (been there, done that, pain in the ****), or you can take the easy way and go in under the battery. Either way, it isn't a quick fix. Completely doable by a competent DIY, but not a no brainer. And there is no sawzall required (IIRC), just a dremel with a cutoff wheel.
OK. Sounds like I am going in, under the battery. From his pictures I couldn't tell it was under teh battery.

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I wondered the same thing!

OP, this fix is not easy. Read about this one years ago because of the symptoms of foam in the air vents. Common symptom of the problem. I'm like you, I don't want to cut into my blower unit and so what I do during the winters, is turn off the air vents on the upper dash, redirect the air at the feet, turn the control unit on HI and enjoy lots of heat at the feet. Works for me.
I don't get lots of heat anywhere. Are we talking about the same problem?

I'm assuming that this foam part of the vent directs HEAT. Let me re state- I don't have much heat at all. (lol- Sounds funny when I say it that way. )
Old 02-18-2019 | 01:41 PM
cds72911
Drifting

There is a metal flap that pivots to divert climate control air in various directions. It has lots of holes in the surface (like swiss cheese), presumably for lightening the part. When new, the foam blocks off the holes. As the foam breaks down in old age, it comes apart opening up the holes. With the holes unobstructed, lots of air gets past the flap.
Old 02-18-2019 | 02:33 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

I don't have much heat at all. (lol- Sounds funny when I say it that way. )
Have you thought about wearing thermal underwear? Electric blanket? Maybe, a 12 volt hair dryer?

Old 02-18-2019 | 02:59 PM
Red5
Instructor

Originally Posted by cds72911
There is a metal flap that pivots to divert climate control air in various directions. It has lots of holes in the surface (like swiss cheese), presumably for lightening the part. When new, the foam blocks off the holes. As the foam breaks down in old age, it comes apart opening up the holes. With the holes unobstructed, lots of air gets past the flap.

So just go in under the battery and it should be fairly close?
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:23 PM
R324U
Instructor

So just go in under the battery and it should be fairly close?
I believe the heater core access is behind the battery,
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:30 PM
R324U
Instructor

Here is another good thread on getting to that mix flap with better pics: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nt-debris.html

My heat is pretty weak so something I will try and fix once I get more motivated. Luckily haven't really needed to drive much this winter but it's on my list of things to address. Also my AC works great.
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:31 PM
Red5
Instructor

This is what I see under the battery box. And it doesn't look like any of his pictures.
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:39 PM
R324U
Instructor

This is what I see under the battery box. And it doesn't look like any of his pictures.
Follow the two hoses in the upper left, this go to the heater core, it's behind the battery towards the base of the windshield.
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:39 PM
Red5
Instructor

Looks like I'm in the wrong area. Going to remove the wipers and hardware first and go on TOP of where the battery was located.
Old 02-18-2019 | 05:40 PM
R324U
Instructor

Old 02-18-2019 | 09:28 PM
Red5
Instructor

Getting closer. FYI: You have to remove the Windshield wipers, the supports brackets and the wiper motor. I'm now trying to figure out how to remove this cap and then I will practice yoga and see about getting under the passenger side to remove the bottom latch for this part. Still can't figure out why Porsche would put these holes in this piece to begin with. Some people really enjoy the feeling you get from fixing something yourself. The ability to clear your mind and work on your own car in your own garage. I'm not one of those people.
Old 02-18-2019 | 11:10 PM
Red5
Instructor

"The servo is almost in the center with a pink arm on it. Take you pliers and simply squeeze together the connector from the motor to the flap housing and pull off. Then you can take a 7mm wrench and take the nut off that attaches the mix arm to the bottom of the air mix flap. Once the arm is off you can pull out what I'll call a "plug" that attaches to the flap. This is the arm and bottom plug that connects to the flap/door at the bottom." This quote is from a boxter. On the 911 this is certainly not in the center. Anyone have an idea as to how I can get this arm removed and then be able to put it back? Not much room at all to work with.

Quick Reply: Why does my car not blow warm air? No Heat. AC works.