Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How many miles on your engine with the original IMS bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

IMSB is so yesterday, we're on to bore scoring today...Try to keep up JBOO
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 AM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

996 market value didn’t drop because of the IMS. It dropped because of the era of the car, and the recession that hit at a critical time in the life of these cars. Compare the loss of value to other European sports cars of the era and you’ll see that the 996 fared pretty well.
I don't share your opinion as the other Porsche-price didn't drop the same way. If my car was one year older it will worse 60,000.00 more dollars and I personally think that this is mainly due to the bad publicity made around the IMS issue. Just take a look to what is said on youtube
Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at about 64k miles with, as far as I know, the original clutch and IMS bearing. So for now, I guess I'm rolling the dice. I was thinking about just replacing the darn thing along with the clutch and RMS when I bought the car a few months ago. Now, I'm not so sure. The mechanic that did the PPI has proactively replaced three perfectly good IMS bearings. Still, I'll probably just bite the bullet and do it this spring. I'm really undecided about doing it myself or paying to have it done. If I do it, the car will be on jack stands so I'm thinking about dropping the engine and transmission rather than just the tranny.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Default That's what you wanna see!

Originally Posted by montauk
Now, I'm not so sure. The mechanic that did the PPI has proactively replaced three perfectly good IMS bearings.
Folks look deeply in that second sentence. That's exactly what I thought too for a long time. That is, if the mechanic discovers a "perfect bearing", then it's just proof that Porsche made good IMS bearings after all... and, further proof that they (i.e. Flat6, LN, EPS, Pedro, PCA, etc.) are all wrong and the IMS fiasco is just big hoax, right? Wrong! The truth is, you don't want to see a failing bearing... period! At that point, it's not qualified for a retrofit until the motor is repaired and cleansed of all metal contaminants. When you drop the transmission and examine the bearing to find it hasn't failed, then be thankful, because now you've caught it before it's too late. It's not a matter of "if", but when. I'm sure there are many shops that install new retrofit IMS bearings in cars that have failing bearings. That's the worst thing you want to do. Eventually, the metal from the old failing bearing will not only eventually damage the motor, but it will take out the new bearing with it. Make sense.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tommy Tuite
99 C2 with 54k on the original IMSB... but Im on the second engine! First one lasted to 98k when the bearing blew
Hi, Tommy. When I read your statement if makes me wonder how many people "rolled the dice" and now the cars are but rollers. It's good to hear that you have a good running car. When was the motor replaced? Maybe it has the durable M97 large bearing? That would be good news for you!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JB001
I don't share your opinion as the other Porsche-price didn't drop the same way. If my car was one year older it will worse 60,000.00 more dollars and I personally think that this is mainly due to the bad publicity made around the IMS issue. Just take a look to what is said on youtube
I think someone needs to do some further research on 911's. The last of the air cooled cars at the time were not selling very good. A lot of people think the 996 saved porsche. Even the value of the air cooled cars 20 years is not what they are today. The demand went up because the era died. Most people would agree that the 996 has hit its low when it comes to value. Now more than ever with all the magazines and articles talking about "Buy them now before the price go up". I think most of us would agree that the 996 will never do what the air cooled era value is at now. But the trend is very similar. I also agree with Jake about the value has done well compared to others. Compare a same model year 911 to any BMW or Mercedes and see how it held up in value.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing the mileage that some folks have had out of the original bearings!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Default Question to you...

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Someone's looking for trouble.....
Gotta question since you worked with Porsche for a long time. When a customer towed a in-warranty 996 to your dealership for repair and you determined it was catastrophic engine failure because of the IMS bearing, how were you instructed to repair the customers car? Did Porsche have you rebuild the motor with a new intermediate shaft? Or did you just replace the motor with a Porsche remanufactured "AT" engine?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

1999 with 58K on the odometer with the original IMS bearing.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

996 market value didn’t drop because of the IMS. It dropped because of the era of the car, and the recession that hit at a critical time in the life of these cars. Compare the loss of value to other European sports cars of the era and you’ll see that the 996 fared pretty well.
^^ This, plus it's a hugely mass produced car (for a sports car).
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jkfuel
It's amazing the mileage that some folks have had out of the original bearings!
not really IMO. The IMSB gets all the bad publicity, but it’s not the only problem with these engines nor is it the most likely failure mode. For example, my car had an engine failure at 59k miles due to a spun con rod bearing. Also had evidence of intermix, bore scoring, and insufficient lubrication. I didn’t own the car at the time of the failure. When I took the engine apart for analysis, the IMSB was in prefect condition!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coopduc

not really IMO. The IMSB gets all the bad publicity, but it’s not the only problem with these engines nor is it the most likely failure mode. For example, my car had an engine failure at 59k miles due to a spun con rod bearing. Also had evidence of intermix, bore scoring, and insufficient lubrication. I didn’t own the car at the time of the failure. When I took the engine apart for analysis, the IMSB was in prefect condition!
Didn't I read somewhere that Raby states there are like 31 modes of failures with the M96/M97 motors? Hope he does more videos on all those topics. Glad he hasn't totally left the 986/996/997.1. community. I'm humbled and grateful to his contribution. I've made many positive steps because of his advice. I read over on the 997 forum, that he has chosen to not reveal information on the 9A1 platform. Maybe because of their sour attitude and they pissed on his advice? Oh well. I'm not planning on selling my 996 anytime soon and so I'm good for now. Jake please keep the information flowing! Thank you!

Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

The 9A1 is a very recent design. No one will really know it’s weaknesses for a while. Direct injection definitely has it’s own set of issues and the significant design changes of the 9A1 will reveal it’s own set of issues with time. If I owned a business rebuilding Porsche engines I wouldn’t give away everything until I was certain I understood the problem and had a solution. That’s just good business.

I’d be real interested to know the outcome if the IMS case had reached the same judge that ruled against Ford on the TFI module. We’d all likely have free engines or seriously extended coverage.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

If I owned a business rebuilding Porsche engines I wouldn’t give away everything until I was certain I understood the problem and had a solution. That’s just good business.
We finished our first 9A1 DFI engine in February of 2010. Some 9 years into this game, we have proved a lot, and we've found more things that don't work, than things that do work when it comes to modifications.

We are always learning. That never stops. Thats why we will never be experts. Experts stop learning.

I’d be real interested to know the outcome if the IMS case had reached the same judge that ruled against Ford on the TFI module
Remember, the Eisen Vs. Porsche case was a "settlement".
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I asked a very simple question to Rennlisters about 996 mileage with the original IMS and see that some folks feel insulted and keep pushing to change the subject of this thread. Are some questions are forbidden by the owners of the true IMS religion?

Quick Reply: How many miles on your engine with the original IMS bearing?