Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is there a consensus on the best intake modification out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:18 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
Best intake mod is the ORANGE CAP mod, free, and a guaranteed butt dyno of at least a gajillion hp! At least it sounds better...
Yeap... love it! Best free mod I've ever done.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:44 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: orange caps

I'm glad you guys are getting nice "sound" ( ) results from the orange cap, but this mod makes me a bit nervous. The main reason is because the cap is not fixed in place. The position of the cap is past the stock metal grate and plastic protection screen which are located just before the MAF sensor. Ergo, if the cap comes loose... "Hello, throttle body!"

It should make a difference in the induction sound, though, since the majority of the silencer is blocked off.

The Fabspeed kit loses the silencer increasing airbox volume just before the air filter, and the plastic "plug" screws in using two of the three stock screws which are in place to secure the silencer. Also, the supplied hose is devoid of the diverter arm which should cause less turbulence and improve inflow. Combined with the BMC filter and sport exhaust, this airbox mod has made a pretty significant difference in engine music. As a bonus, the throttle feels a little more responsive.

No ricin' here. Cheers.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
Best intake mod is the ORANGE CAP mod, free, and a guaranteed butt dyno of at least a gajillion hp! At least it sounds better...
I have PSE and after hearing about the orange caps, decided to get one (actually, 2--the price was right). After I installed the cap, it seemed like there was a slight difference in sound when accelerating (I think the PSE music must have drowned out most any increase from the orange cap), the downside was that the orange cap eliminated the nice gurgle (sp?) when decelerating fast that PSE has, so I took the orange cap out. I love that gurgle!!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:52 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

What the hell is the orange cap?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:34 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

and it is actually made for this purpose??

if they're a plug, how did they improve anything?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:48 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Has anyone done the full boat HP upgrade, air box, headers, high flow cats and sport exhaust? Being told of true 25 to 30 hp at the wheels. Hype or truth, anyone know?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I was wondering since were talking mods here and by the way I like my hiflow evo intake-looks great and nice whirling sound at idle and high pitched whine going thru the gears which seems to work really well with the fabspeeds I have. I like to also add that is it possible to replace the cats with a resonator(without one be way too loud) and locate the o2 sensors(by the cat) on the muffler portion. Would you think it trigger the check engine lite? Regards. Mike
Old 02-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear dear me! Listen to yourselves guys, your driving Pcars here not Fords. You don't go modding it with freebie bits o' orange plastic. That's for ricers and wannabees. That plastic thing was "never" designed to fit on a Porsche engine. What happens if it melts, cracks, breaks up over time, becomes dislodged....I would hate to think what that thing would do if it got sucked into your engine as you slam the gas at 7000revs! Also, I hope you guys like your "check engine light" coming on, as there have been some posts with this problem popping up as a result of this mod.

Be serious. If you want a sound and secure modification, put your hand in your pocket. Were not talking big money here........and as I said, it ain't no Ford.

The Fabspeed cold airbox install will give you a simulated "mild" difference in exhaust sound. [I stress "mild"] For best results though you need to upgrade the Exhaust itself. Preferably both.

Fabspeed have provided a good video that shows the differences in sound with their cold air intake kit and BMC F1 filter: http://www.fabspeed.com/996 Cold Air kit.wmv
I know some of you use a K&N or Evo filter but I use the BMC F1 as it is the one Fabspeed suggest for their kit. Maybe they are matched. I Dunno.

This video shows off the Maxflow mufflers: http://www.fabspeed.com/996 maxflow muffler.wmv

This maxflow kit plus the above air kit and BMC F1 filter are what I have fitted. Incredible throttle response, deep growling exhaust which smacks of
Ferrari when you throttle it at high revs but grumbles quietly when cruising. IMHO, this is the best sound and performance increase you can get for around $1500. Fabspeed boast 10 hp increase with this setup.
If you go read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=105964 you'll see what it's capable of. Courtesy of rennlister Doug H who has dyno tested this setup.

Orange cap indeed!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

best intake mod for your car is the EVO supercharger which will produce 430 hp AT the wheels. the horsecrap intake kits like fabspeed "maybe" produce rounding error amonts of power increases.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:09 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by ben in lj
best intake mod for your car is the EVO supercharger which will produce 430 hp AT the wheels. the horsecrap intake kits like fabspeed "maybe" produce rounding error amonts of power increases.
All this could be yours for only $10k!
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally posted by ben in lj
I agree you get what you pay for. You can use orange caps or you can drop your car at Ruf and get a real performance freak. I think we are all somewhere in between. For $ 225, I hope no-one expects the car to feel like a turbo. I think most people's expectations are pretty reasonable when it comes to the Fabspeed air kit. Just looking for more sound and perhaps a touch brisker accelleration. IMO, this is accomplished for $ 225 which is cheap in the world of Porsche engine modifications. Kind of fun to play around also.

FWIW, I would not go supercharger because my car is leased and I think my dealer would laugh if I tried to warranty a supercharger failure. Hence my factory turbo. Dealer said no problem on air kit and exhaust. They are also chip friendly, so they say.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Originally posted by fahren affair
i 2nd ghost's opinion, and the price is right too. the downside is i now have niagara's salespeople leaving me voice mails every other week.

You filled out the form with your REAL phone #??? You are braver than I !
Old 02-06-2004, 07:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile While the EVO SC is nice...

The $10K price of admission is a bit prohibitive and then there's the warranty issue for new rides. Having said that, Ben, you have one sweeeet cab!

I wouldn't call the Fabspeed kit horsey poo, though. Sure, it's a hose and a couple of pieces of plastic... but it does eliminate the silencer improving the sound. I don't think the air kit alone would make that much difference in sound, but with sport mufflers, it has made a significant difference in the growl factor.

I was not concerned about quoted power gains... heck, I really don't believe the hype much anyway. The Fabspeed kit allowed me to lose the silencer with a part that screws in for security, increase airbox volume, and improve flow with a less restrictive filter all for a couple of hundred bucks. All this without having to mess with the stock airbox = Happy Dealer.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Originally posted by Scouser
Dear dear me! Listen to yourselves guys, your driving Pcars here not Fords. You don't go modding it with freebie bits o' orange plastic. That's for ricers and wannabees. That plastic thing was "never" designed to fit on a Porsche engine. What happens if it melts, cracks, breaks up over time, becomes dislodged....I would hate to think what that thing would do if it got sucked into your engine as you slam the gas at 7000revs! Also, I hope you guys like your "check engine light" coming on, as there have been some posts with this problem popping up as a result of this mod.

Be serious. If you want a sound and secure modification, put your hand in your pocket. Were not talking big money here........and as I said, it ain't no Ford.

The Fabspeed cold airbox install will give you a simulated "mild" difference in exhaust sound. [I stress "mild"] For best results though you need to upgrade the Exhaust itself. Preferably both.

Fabspeed have provided a good video that shows the differences in sound with their cold air intake kit and BMC F1 filter: http://www.fabspeed.com/996 Cold Air kit.wmv
I know some of you use a K&N or Evo filter but I use the BMC F1 as it is the one Fabspeed suggest for their kit. Maybe they are matched. I Dunno.

This video shows off the Maxflow mufflers: http://www.fabspeed.com/996 maxflow muffler.wmv

This maxflow kit plus the above air kit and BMC F1 filter are what I have fitted. Incredible throttle response, deep growling exhaust which smacks of
Ferrari when you throttle it at high revs but grumbles quietly when cruising. IMHO, this is the best sound and performance increase you can get for around $1500. Fabspeed boast 10 hp increase with this setup.
If you go read this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=105964 you'll see what it's capable of. Courtesy of rennlister Doug H who has dyno tested this setup.

Orange cap indeed!
Scouser,

What happens if I inadvertently run into a deer crossing the road? The truth is the odds of hitting a deer where I live are probably greater than the orange cap disintegrating during the lifetime of my car and if it does, it is only plastic, if a metal piston can't smash a small piece of plastic and melt it during combustion and push it out the exhaust where it will get lodge in the catalytic convertor and vaporize due to high temps then Niagara must make one tough orange cap!

I'm happy to install the Fabspeed airbox instead. Please buy one from Fabspeed and ship it to me to install and I'll even take some pretty pictures and post them here. For now, the Orange Cap is all I can afford due to my former employer being acquired and the acquiring company deeming that many of us were duplicates and not needed. In the alternative you could hire me and with my first paycheck I'll go buy a Fabspeed intake, that is right after I pay the uncovered hospital bills for my wife's pregnancy.

I don't mean to be crass, but I don't make fun of whatever you do to your car, please don't make fun of what I do to mine or what I can or cannot afford. If push comes to shove the car is the first thing being let go, but they keep telling me the economy is getting better and companies are hiring. I'll believe it when I see it...

BTW, if my Orange Cap does cause a problem for my car (and I've never heard of the Orange Cap causing a CE light) I'll gladly let you tell me "I told you so"...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:41 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm the one who first discovered the Niagara plug - had this old plug in a drawer and it fit perfectly . Posted this " mod" probably 2 1/2 years ago. Anyway, do it for the slightly " rortier" intake sound enhancement above 4500 rpm . Eventually switched to the Fabspeed kit which eliminates the resonator box completely and improved throttle response quite a bit. Still sitting in a box in my garage , incl the BMC filter if anyone wants it.
Another thing - look at the bottom of the 996 air box after lifting off the air filter . On the lower right you will see about 40 little holes , which allows intake air directly from the hot exhaust below it. Look at your air filter- it is filthy in that same location, which means a significant amount of the intake air is hot air , despite the snorkel that connects through the lid to suck in outside air. They must be for allowing hot air for warm up emissions purpose , as far as I can figure, although the Turbo air box has no such thing. I blocked those holes with a thin sheet of ABS plastic screwed into four of those holes. Now you have true cold air intake. ( Don't worry, there is a separate drain hole for water that might go into the snorkel when washing or raining. )

Quick Reply: Is there a consensus on the best intake modification out there?