Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is there a consensus on the best intake modification out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 11:28 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I was after better sound and the Fabspeed kit allowed an easy way to achieve sound improvement with little alteration to the stock airbox configuration."

i understand completely. on mine, i even cut out bigger holes into my airbox on the bottom specifically for that reason - even if it reduced power! it was fairly obvious to me none of my airbox mods (or even the ECU change) was doing anything on the butt dyno but the sound that last box produced was fantastic. there is a picture of the molested box here:

http://www.986host.com/gallery/benkea?&page=12
Old 02-07-2004, 11:52 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by RJFabCab
I was just about to ask you about drainage! I didn't see any other areas for drainage except the perorated area in the right rear portion of the base of the stock airbox.

On my car, which was a '99 , the bottom of the air box was not flat , it tilted down from each side to a central low point where a large drain hole was located. Water entering the air snorkel and going into the box would have pass the drain hole , then to go " uphill " to the " hot air " perforations on the bottom right side
Old 02-08-2004, 12:55 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by MKW
On my car, which was a '99 , the bottom of the air box was not flat , it tilted down from each side to a central low point where a large drain hole was located. Water entering the air snorkel and going into the box would have pass the drain hole , then to go " uphill " to the " hot air " perforations on the bottom right side
Hmmm. I must not have noticed the "funnel" area. However, in looking at Ben's Swiss Cheese Airbox Modificado Magnificado I do see a lower area in the floor of the airbox leading up to the filter.

BTW, nice pics of the CGT!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I saw some dyno with various drilled air boxes and there was a loss. I will be happy to dyno the Fabspeed box. My guess is whopping 2 hp at the wheels. Drilled, my quess is that it would lose 2 hp.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

MKW did you get that PM I sent you about the Fabspeed airbox?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:44 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a link to a 4 minute video by Fabspeed showing the kit vs factory resonator box and before/after in car videos .
Fabspeed site video on airbox mod kit.

Like I posted earlier , I have a take off Fabspeed kit including a barely used BMC filter , filter cleaning/ reoiling kit , and my custom hot air perforation mod that I will install free ( saves you an additional $100 if you are not mechanically inclined ) on your car for $200 , only for Bay Area residents. Retail value $350 from Fabspeed plus shipping and install . If you don't like it, we'll switch it back. Pretty good deal if you ask me , as the BMC alone without cleaning kit is $120 everywhere.

Ghostrider - check your PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Response sent, let me know since i'm not in the bay area...
Old 02-09-2004, 04:28 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i sent you a PM MKW
Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Andy (Atlanta)
Racer

Anyone have pics of the Fabspeed system installed?
Old 02-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I've offered MKW that if he sells the Fabspeed he has to me (I'm not in Northern California) that I will do a photo-essay pictorial of the install procedure and host it on my website for anyone who might be interested. As of yet I haven't heard back from him with a definitive answer, but the offer is on the table. Since we have similar cars Andy the install pics will be directly relevant to you.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:11 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
I've offered MKW that if he sells the Fabspeed he has to me (I'm not in Northern California) that I will do a photo-essay pictorial of the install procedure and host it on my website for anyone who might be interested. As of yet I haven't heard back from him with a definitive answer, but the offer is on the table. Since we have similar cars Andy the install pics will be directly relevant to you.
sorry GR , i picked it up from him yesterday and installed it last night (he's only 15 minutes away from me)

the install is SUPER easy. the carbon ring (really faux carbon) is useless. i didn't end up using it. i did, however, cover the holes using MKW's plastic cover (not the drain holes but the array of holes to the right and front of the box.

it does fill out the sound and enhances the GHL (still thinking it could be a tad louder). i noticed throttle response has improved, snappy. i made sure to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

carlos
Old 02-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Well that's pretty gay IMHO. I mean geez I was the first to ask him about it before there was even a post about him intending to sell it. The least he could have done was responded to my PM (which he read) and told me that he already had a buyer. I don't know what the deal was about wanting it to go to someone in his area, sounds like place of residence discrimination to me, where's reverend Jackson when I need him?

I would have paid shipping... sheesh...

Oh well, I'll have to be happy knowing that my orange cap mod will have to suffice... so much for the photoshoot too I guess...

It's time to trade my car in on a Pagani Zonda anyway...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Go to SplitSec.com They specialize in BMW's with aftermarket intake systems.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:38 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
Well that's pretty gay IMHO.
dude, i take offense to that "gay" remark. what the F is that supposed to mean! i know you weren't refering to me but still that is pretty lame.

it was just easier for me to pick it up rather than him shipping it. did he commit to you? that i can't say. but he did post this,

Originally posted by MKW
... for $200 , only for Bay Area residents
Old 02-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

gay as in "uncool" not as in homosexual or happy. I could say *** and be talking about a cigarette.

It means BEFORE Milt offered the intake for sale I contacted him about buying it. After I contacted him he responded with a PM that he'd prefer to sell it to someone locally but if he couldn't he'd let me know. That was when he posted his message about $200 and for Bay Area residents.

I immediately PM'd him again telling him I would PayPal him the $200 immediately if he would sell it to me and of course I'd pick up shipping. He read the PM but didn't respond. Then today I see that you've bought it and about the same time I got a PM from him stating that it was sold.

Hey it was his intake and he can sell it to whomever he wants, I just thought it was uncool that when I offered immediate payment that he didn't message back with anything and it wasn't until after I sent him another PM today that he got back to me and said that it was sold. People are busy, maybe he meant to respond and didn't, whatever, doesn't matter it is yours now.

I just found it odd that he's had this for some time and when I privately approached him about selling it he lists it for sale shortly thereafter but with the restriction that it is for someone locally only. If someone approached me about selling them something that I just had sitting around I'd probably say "sure here you go" instead of "hmmm now that you mention it that's a good idea, but I'm only going to sell it locally". As they say different strokes for different folks.

I was just venting frustration that I missed out on an opportunity, and one that I felt like I played a part in spurring along, that's all. No need to take offense about anyting especially the gay remark, even if you do live in the Bay area...

Quick Reply: Is there a consensus on the best intake modification out there?