Sponsored by:

Fab Speed cold air kit 0-60 screen shots

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Fab Speed cold air kit 0-60 screen shots

Installed the Fab Speed cold air kit tonight. Cool sound, but not quiet as loud as I expected. Then again, my Ruf is very loud.

Install was easy and I did it in the dark with only the engine compartment light. Instructions would have been nice, but it is easy to look at everything and figure out how to take out the grate and etc.

I did some 0 - 60 runs and according to G-Tech, my accelleration is better in passing gears. The first two runs are with Fab Speed Cool air kit and the last two are stock.

I had a lot of wheel spin on run 2. Run 1 showed a 4.2X which seems crazy. I, however, did have the absolute best launch I have ever had in the 996 NA. I had just t iny bit of wheel spin for the first maybe 20 mph but it was hooking up the whole time and the back end was not hoping due to wheel spin.

Regardless, the passing gear times should take launch somewhat out of the equation and these times are better. Interesting, run 2 where I did have wheel hop was a slower run than run 3 (stock set-up), but the passing times were quicker.

Take it for what its worth, but I dais I would post some results. Here they are.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive!

I've had my fabspeed setup so long now I can't recall what it's like not to have it. I can tell you that I once (a few years back) had a starting race with another C2 I pulled up to at the lights on a long open stretch of country road. We looked at each other and we knew exactly what we wanted to do. The lights went green and we took off like lightening. His car was stock. Mine has the fabspeed kit. I can tell you we took off exactly together but I took him easily. I was a full car length ahead of him in 2nd gear at redline. By the time I reached 90 he was almost five lengths behind me. We pulled in to a service station to talk a few miles up the road. Never met the guy before. He was well impressed. Was convinced I had a turbo or something. Was it the fabspeed? I will never know. But judging my your results it is likely.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:05 PM
sentipede
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mine during lunch. It would have been nice to have illustrated directions, but I guess it wasn't too bad. The only problem is, I didn't take out the screen inside the airbox and replace it with the carbon ring. I barely noticed any difference, I may go in and take out that screen. You think this would make a bigger difference?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Did you run your tests right after you installed the Fabspeed? Doesn't it take time for the DME to adjust to the new air intake?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:22 PM
sentipede
Instructor

I never took any test runs, just felt it out. I too expected it to be a little louder...maybe its the screen or perhaps overtime I will see improvments!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The metal screen or the plastic grate. Don't take the metal screen out, just the plastic grate. I think the grate is actually what impedes air flow the most though.

Honestly, I can not tell a difference between .2 or .3 with 0 - 60 and etc. just by the seat of my pants especially driving my different cars with different types/points of accelleration. That's why I use the G-tech.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:31 PM
sentipede
Instructor

I didn't remove either of them. Instructions call for removing the plastic grate. I couldn't get a grip on it to pull it out, so I left it in. What did you ise to get it out? Maybe I should go back in and try again....

Here we go again!
Old 12-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Keyvan
Did you run your tests right after you installed the Fabspeed? Doesn't it take time for the DME to adjust to the new air intake?
I put about 20 miles or so on it before timing it. Not sure about how long the adjust time is though.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by sentipede
I didn't remove either of them. Instructions call for removing the plastic grate. I couldn't get a grip on it to pull it out, so I left it in. What did you ise to get it out? Maybe I should go back in and try again....

Here we go again!
One screw and and the plastic clips on the side opposite of the screw. I used a sharp right angle pnuch type of tool that I use to remove speaker grills. I pryed the plastic back around the ***** and put the angled part through the grate and pulled.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:21 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Keyvan
With my Fabspeed Maxflo install, the DME supposedly adjusted over 1-2 days. For a quick "reset" adjustment, Fabspeed recommended disconnecting the battery.

Doug H, could you elaborate more on the difference in engine sound created by your air kit? What exhaust and air filter are you running with the air kit (on your 3.6L)?

Thanks...
Old 12-31-2003, 03:11 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by RJFabCab
With my Fabspeed Maxflo install, the DME supposedly adjusted over 1-2 days. For a quick "reset" adjustment, Fabspeed recommended disconnecting the battery.

Doug H, could you elaborate more on the difference in engine sound created by your air kit? What exhaust and air filter are you running with the air kit (on your 3.6L)?

Thanks...
I guess I should have mentioned, I disconnect the battery and reset the DME with all mods on my cars. I did install the BME filter. I have stock exhaust and everything is stock and will stay that way on this car as it is leased.

I am not sure about sound. The car defintiely sounded more subtle without the Fab speed kit. The car sounds more raw and not as silky quiet/smooth as it sounded before. Sounds more like the older cars or a 993 now without any mods.

I am just such a bad judge on sound because for instance, I drove the Ruf to work today and have been putting alot of miles on it after some recent headwork and new valves and etc. were installed. I am trying to get past the 1,000 mile break in this car right now so I can re adjust the valves and put the Ruf chip back in. This car has cat bypass, GHL primary and a secondary bypass so it is loud. After driving it today the 996 just seems quiet no matter what is done to it.

Bottom line, after multiple G-Tech runs including today, the accelleration curve is steeper throughout the gears and passing gears. Not by a whole lot, but enough to be noticeable on times and in print outs. I would say the improvement, even though in the .02 to .03 +/- range is definitely worth $ 225.00 + the price of the BME air filter. Not huge gains, but none were really expected. Plus you have the benefit of a rawer sound without resorting to JIf can cut outs blocking off pipes.

Seems like Porsche did really restrict the air box flow with that muffler and grate for sound reasons. Based on my experience with other cars, the G-Tech improvements are about as good as I have seen when adding different exhaust and chips, but at a much lower price.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Hey now we need some G-tech runs for the Orange Cap crowd!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
acciardi
Intermediate

Default Need new programming?

Is there a consensus on whether a reprogrammed ECU is needed with the Fabspeed intake and a low-restriction muffler?

I have GHL mufflers on order and have been considering the Fabspeed intake, but am concerned about excessively lean running. Fabspeed seem to suggest on their site that you should get a remapped ECU.

Are those running both intake and exhaust mods seeing any problem with stock programming?

Ed
Old 12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
sentipede
Instructor

OK, I installed my kit and took out the plastic grate as mentioned yesterday. Bad news today, the check engine light popped on, and the engine started running a really low idle. I took the Fabspeed kit off and reverted back to stock and the car is running normal again. I still have to reset the engine light, but I am most certain there was a strong correlation between the two.

Any suggestions? I did not disconnect the battery, and I do have the Gemballa Sport Exhaust....

Last edited by sentipede; 01-28-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Bummer about the light. Might be exhaust combination. Drop into dealer and ask them to hook it up and see what code fault is. Should only take 5 minutes. Maybe they can adjust the MAF if necessary.

I actually went by the dealer today and they looked over the air kit and said it was okay and would not cause any problems. This is my daily driver and it is leased so I don't want any headaches.

Quick Reply: Fab Speed cold air kit 0-60 screen shots