996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Going to Put in Rebuilt Injectors in my Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

I'm putting new in mine. They aren't that expensive if you don't buy from Porsche! It's not worth it to me to put used/cleaned/qualified/rebuilt/(you choose which word you like best) at the chance that they might leak fuel into the cylinders washing the oil film off and possibly creating a long term engine fatal problem. That's just my choice...to each their own.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I'm putting new in mine. They aren't that expensive if you don't buy from Porsche! .
You may have missed the post that MK-I injectors cost 6 times as much as MK-II injectors and are somewhat difficult to find new.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
You may have missed the post that MK-I injectors cost 6 times as much as MK-II injectors and are somewhat difficult to find new.
And then there’s a post that explains that mkii injectors can work in an mki engine with a slight mod. Best of birth worlds.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I don’t know why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to argue with JR about Porsche engines. It’d be like me arguing over the color of the moon with Neil Armstrong.
Agree. Well, questioning might be OK if one is seeking to understand.

But Mr. 996AE, maybe apologize for coming across as an accusatory tone?

I mean Jake has nothing to gain from his post, and I think his credibility has more than proven himself. You can have your opinion - and quite frankly, your experience does count and is of value. I think we just need to change how we come across.

The truth is, I, too, have countless examples of rebuilt auto parts being worse off than the used part I picked up at the junkyard.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

And then there’s a post that explains that mkii injectors can work in an mki engine with a slight mod. Best of birth worlds.
I did see that and I'm waiting for the video. In the meantime, the cost for MK-I injectors is prohibitive.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:16 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Mine is an MK-II 2005 C4S. I told the mechanic new, no rebuilt, He will confirm prior to ordering. Swear I saw a post above that Pelican Bosch are new?? Maybe it was WH33. Maybe both.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Mine is an MK-II 2005 C4S. I told the mechanic new, no rebuilt, He will confirm prior to ordering. Swear I saw a post above that Pelican Bosch are new?? Maybe it was WH33. Maybe both.
I agree that new is the way to go. Until Jake shares his trick, a new set of injectors for an MK-I car is $1200 just for the parts.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:30 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Warehouse33 are new.
They're also cheaper than Pelican Parts.
Make sure you use the Rennlist discount!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

Warehouse33 are new.
They're also cheaper than Pelican Parts.
Make sure you use the Rennlist discount!
Definitely! Have bought from Jason in the past. Great guy and service!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I have tried every brand of rebuilt injector. We have also had local shops specializing with injectors work with them. The results have never been the same as a new injector. We've tested them back to back, and I've even ran tests where 1 bank of the engine has new injectors, and the other has rebuilt. The differences in fuel trim were notable, as well as the rough running index on each bank.

The bigger issue with rebuilt injectors lies in the fluid that was used to clean them, and how long they have been on the shelf. As part of what we do, we work with wholesalers of parts that are having issues with products. A couple of years ago one company lost a lot of money selling rebuilt injectors due to warranty issues. I was asked to figure out the issue and it was determined that the fluid that was being used had a shelf life in the injector of 30 days, after that period it would actually begin to corrode the injector internally.

That said, cleaning and "rebuilding" injectors is done in a lab environment. The injector is being tested in a perfect scenario. Put that perfect injector on a hot engine that has just been shut down, and see if it will hold 60 PSI of dead headed fuel pressure without bleeding down overnight without puddling fuel in the intake ports and cylinders that have open intake valves. Give it a shot. Injectors have been fighting us for 5 years, and when I recommend to you to replace them with new units, this all comes from direct experience, pain, and suffering.

My issue is your blanket statement. Rebuilt, balance, tested can be worse.

Jakes quote.

The "rebuilt" ones you are buying may be worse than what you already have.

Not trying to pick a fight with Jake, just not a fan of blanket statements.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:17 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Agree. Well, questioning might be OK if one is seeking to understand.

But Mr. 996AE, maybe apologize for coming across as an accusatory tone?

I mean Jake has nothing to gain from his post, and I think his credibility has more than proven himself. You can have your opinion - and quite frankly, your experience does count and is of value. I think we just need to change how we come across.

The truth is, I, too, have countless examples of rebuilt auto parts being worse off than the used part I picked up at the junkyard.
You are correct sir.

Came off harsh.

Less than honest inappropriate.

Assuming every 996 owner is rich and can afford to pay for new parts and making blanket statements that your rebuilt, balanced and spray pattern tested injectors by a reputable company maybe worse than before (you paid to have them rebuild) is a pretty bold statement condemning every rebuilder of injectors.

Again, not every Porsche owner can afford to replace injectors. Many will need to rebuild and take their chance.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 2,157 Posts

I agree that new is the way to go. Until Jake shares his trick, a new set of injectors for an MK-I car is $1200 just for the parts.
I would have thought the 996.2 injectors would be a "drop-in" replacement. They are the same length, connector, use the same o-rings on each end, same safety clip. I wonder if he was thinking of the larger "aftermarket" injectors he is using on the big bore engines? I can't think of any trick or mod that would need to be done. I guess we will wait and see...

I have some of each 996.1 and 996.2 injectors , but only the 996.1 are out on the shelf and have the fuel rail with them...They each have a index notch and a groove for the safety clip, but I remember them being the same...
Old 01-16-2019, 12:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
My issue is your blanket statement. Rebuilt, balance, tested can be worse.

Jakes quote.

Not trying to pick a fight with Jake, just not a fan of blanket statements.
He did say "may be" and not they "all are"...

Old 01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

YES!

The point I poorly attempted to make is a professional, good reputation shop rebuilds, balance, spray pattern tested injector "maybe" worse is a bold statement even from the God of Porsche hard to swallow.

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I just looked up injectors on design911.co.uk put in my car details and it's coming up with a Bosch injector £75 GBP
99660612001 is part number , not sure if this is the mk2 injector as mk1 is superseded or could be a good deal!!
Anyone know if this is the original mk1 part number??

Quick Reply: Going to Put in Rebuilt Injectors in my Motor