Sponsored by:

Cylinder Scope 2004 C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I sure am glad you chimed in here as I learn something new every time you post something!!
^^^True This...
Old 01-08-2019, 04:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Now I want to know about this "liquid silver bullet"...
Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
ignorance doesn’t change reality.
I like that one, but I probably shouldn't use it on the ignorant.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Think of how many people are walking around with cancer and we don’t even know it. We are all dying, but when...

The good news is that you have more info now, because ignorance doesn’t change reality.

During one of my treatments last summer, my doctor told me about another patient who had ignored all the signs of cancer, but was afraid to go to the doctor because he might hear bad news.
He said we caught my cancer early, but the other patient who could have been easily treated was WAY beyond help.

Someone needs to make an electric conversion kit for these cars..
I'd kinda like that option, but kinda not too.
Even if it were a LOT faster, more reliable and cheaper to run, I would still miss the sound of an internal combustion engine.
My 996 sounds awesome!
No other car have I turned off the radio, and left it off for days, and listened to the engine during my commute to work.
A quiet 996 would be kinda sad!
I may buy a self driving electric car someday when I'm no longer capable of driving my 996.

My son said something about taking my keys away from me someday when I can no longer safely drive.
I told him he would have to catch me first, and that my 177mph Porsche 996 can outrun his Ford 149mph Mustang all day long!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone needs to make an electric conversion kit for these cars..
If someone did, they would forever on my **** list.

Electric cars have no soul and so far have proven they are only viable with massive government subsidies. Yeah, I helped pay for your Leaf tax break...

Old 01-09-2019, 12:31 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Yes, I knew the electric comments would draw these responses. And I cannot disagree, I love the sound of the IC engine. But I’d still like to have the option. I mean a P100D is delivering 900+ ft-lbs of torque, which is nothing to sneeze at
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Just a thought (and totally OT), can you feed power into the front side of the AWD transmission? I mean, if I took out the front differential, and replaced it with an electric motor, feeding that power into the transmission from the front, what would happen? A 996 hybrid? A broken transmission? Would TechSavvySam hunt me down?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,320 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Just a thought (and totally OT), can you feed power into the front side of the AWD transmission? I mean, if I took out the front differential, and replaced it with an electric motor, feeding that power into the transmission from the front, what would happen? A 996 hybrid? A broken transmission? Would TechSavvySam hunt me down?
It would totally work ! The G96/31 AWD front drive is directly connected to the output shaft. You would have a 996 hybrid ! Nice thought but those heavy battery's would probably be a turn off? And TechSavvySam would not hunt you down since it would still have soul and not totally electric.

Edit: sorry don't mean to help hijack, just couldn't resist.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is making all the noises of a car with scoring. I have the sooty left tail pipe and I burn about a quart of oil every 1300 miles. However, my most recent oil report doesn't really show an engine that is about to give up. I have had a few samples with elevated aluminum so I am sure my problems are real.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
02 911 C4S-181226.pdf (20.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA1970
My car is making all the noises of a car with scoring. I have the sooty left tail pipe and I burn about a quart of oil every 1300 miles. However, my most recent oil report doesn't really show an engine that is about to give up. I have had a few samples with elevated aluminum so I am sure my problems are real.
What they overlooked was the anti wear package getting killed by something in that last sample.. Why? Because its Blackstone.

Yes, you have a problem, something (wear) has killed the anti- wear package, as it is trying to provide wear protection.
I see a few things trending in this data, even with it being Blackstone..

Take this one seriously, it could possibly be saved at the current stage of failure.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM
USNA1970
Instructor

Thanks for the comments. This is the same oil I used back on 9/22/17 sample. For what it is worth, twice now I have low wear metals with Quaker St. For the most part I use Motul 5W40. I should really pick an oil and stick with it. I doubt any of these oils are really hurting or helping much over the other. Currently my car has Motul again. We'll see how it does after another 4-5k miles.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Stage 3 scoring on one, and looks like stage 4 scoring on the other the best I can tell. I'd expect this one is making a lifter ticking sound, and has started eating some oil by this point?
You have longitudinal scoring over at least 2/3 of the piston travel, it appears.

If you pull the sump plate, and sneak in to the bottom of the bores (#5 is really tough to do) you'll probably see more scoring. The issues start at BDC and the piston covers the area up, which fools a lot of people.

Like I always say, if you are going to have a failure, this is the best one to have.. Little to no collateral damage to the components that wouldn't be getting thrown away, no matter what. I am doing several videos for the Rennvision channel this week on bore scoring. We sold 4 engines last week (unheard of in January!) and of those 4, 3 of them had scored bores. Bore scoring is leading to more engines coming our way than all the other failures combined. I plan to do several videos about diagnosis, and actually performing this bore scope analysis with a cheap smart phone bore scope that anyone can buy, and use.

I did release one page on the www.flat6innovations.com site a few weeks ago that has helped a lot of people understand this mode of failure.
http://flat6innovations.com/cylinder-bore-scoring/

Interestingly enough, that little puddle that you see... Guess what that is? When you figure it out you are close to understanding the most misunderstood contributing factor to this affliction...
Really interesting appreciation.

Last week, I was talking with a reputated Porsche technician that have been worked for a long time in several dealers in Europe (UK and Spain) and in USA and he told something like in his whole carreer, he can remember around 2-3 engines that he had to rebuild due to IMS failure, been the most rebuilds due to "regular" mechanical failures (in high performance engines) like you are mentioning.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Thanks for the comments. This is the same oil I used back on 9/22/17 sample. For what it is worth, twice now I have low wear metals with Quaker St. For the most part I use Motul 5W40. I should really pick an oil and stick with it. I doubt any of these oils are really hurting or helping much over the other. Currently my car has Motul again. We'll see how it does after another 4-5k miles.
You have a problem that you can’t ignore. Please change the fuel injectors on the bank of the engine thats opposite of the sooty tailpipe to give this engine half a chance at survival. Your scenario is being caught early enough that you CAN do something to try and save it, and you should do that. Just driving it, hoping it will get better won’t happen. These problems will ONLY get WORSE.

Now, that said, all the back and forth with the oil destroys the trend data that you have collected. With every different oil formula comes cross pollination of the base stock, and additive packages between the oils. This throws the data validity out the window. Cross pollination is the biggest challenge that we face when developing engine oils, nothing skews results worse. Some of the oils you have used back to back have seriously conflicting additive packages.

Also, people put way too much stock in the wear metals of a used oil analysis. These are the LAST thing l look at, and the thing that tells me the least about the engine. The other things are where l find clues that there’s an issue.i think wear metals are used because you can look at them and see a problem with little to no experience with a certain engine, or oil. The fact is, they don’t show what you need to see. In your scenario likely the wear metals started to drop because as the one cylinder started to wear, the contaminants were drained in the oil, and since damage was done, the wear debris that was identified was reduced. We see this all the time.

That said, no matter what the UOA results say, you have a ticking sound, and you have a sooty tailpipe, and therefore you have a problem. A stated earlier, that problem will only get worse over time.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:04 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Thanks Jake. Getting P0430 CELs and sometimes a gas smell does seem to point towards possible injector issue also.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Thanks Jake. Getting P0430 CELs and sometimes a gas smell does seem to point towards possible injector issue also.
If you ignore all this, the tax will be high!

Quick Reply: Cylinder Scope 2004 C2