Sponsored by:

Possible AOS issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:00 PM
dariopks
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible AOS issue?

This is my first post here!!! My 2003 996 C2 is smeeling a bit of coolant and has a fairly strong vacuum on the oil cap. If I remove the oil cap (almost impossible to do it with the engine running) cars idles rough and white smoke starts to come out of the exhaust. I did some research here and it looks like and AOS issue.

I would love to hear your opinion on this before replacing the AOS. Do you believe this is an AOS issue? There is no CEL and no codes on the ECUs...

Anything else that should be replaced with the AOS? Car has 120k km or 75k miles.

Thanks! Appreciate any inputs!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, replace the AOS lines; they're likely to be brittle. Anything else that looks like it needs attention and otherwise difficult to access.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:17 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dariopks
https://youtu.be/w52m-l3jWRE

This is my first post here!!! My 2003 996 C2 is smeeling a bit of coolant and has a fairly strong vacuum on the oil cap. If I remove the oil cap (almost impossible to do it with the engine running) cars idles rough and white smoke starts to come out of the exhaust. I did some research here and it looks like and AOS issue.

I would love to hear your opinion on this before replacing the AOS. Do you believe this is an AOS issue? There is no CEL and no codes on the ECUs...

Anything else that should be replaced with the AOS? Car has 120k km or 75k miles.

Thanks! Appreciate any inputs!
You have the yellow crud in the oil filler cap - an indication that you haven't been driving the car much. Or have you? My advice would be to go put some fresh high test gasoline - Shell 93 or Chevron 93 and drive it! Have you changed the oil in the last 6 months? If not, I'd recommend changing the oil/filter. Then, if you're still getting lots of smoke out of the tailpipe, get yourself a manometer reader. You should read about 5 inches of water. CR Tool makes one of the best units out there, but I'm sure there are cheap manometers on Amazon that you can make work. If the manometer reading is way off the 5 inch of H2O, then it's time to have the AOS changed out. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 PM
dariopks
6th Gear

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
You have the yellow crud in the oil filler cap - an indication that you haven't been driving the car much. Or have you? My advice would be to go put some fresh high test gasoline - Shell 93 or Chevron 93 and drive it! Have you changed the oil in the last 6 months? If not, I'd recommend changing the oil/filter. Then, if you're still getting lots of smoke out of the tailpipe, get yourself a manometer reader. You should read about 5 inches of water. CR Tool makes one of the best units out there, but I'm sure there are cheap manometers on Amazon that you can make work. If the manometer reading is way off the 5 inch of H2O, then it's time to have the AOS changed out. Good luck!
Thanks for the response! I bought the car recently and it is a low mileage example. So I don’t believe it was driven very often. But now this is my daily drive. 🙂

I changed the oil about a month ago and only use premium gas on my cars. The manometer idea is good. But I would also have to buy an oil cap to adapt the hose, correct? Thanks again!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dariopks

Thanks for the response! I bought the car recently and it is a low mileage example. So I don’t believe it was driven very often. But now this is my daily drive. 🙂

I changed the oil about a month ago and only use premium gas on my cars. The manometer idea is good. But I would also have to buy an oil cap to adapt the hose, correct? Thanks again!
CR Tools offers a complete kit for the 996, but it's expensive.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...1-MFG1245.aspx

Many people configure their own manometers with used 996 oil caps on eBay. Works the same, but many pros insist on CT Tools for accurate manometer readings.

Again, since the car hasn't been driven much. Go out and drive it! After a full tank of gas is burned up, do another tailpipe check.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

You don't have to buy an extra oil cap to use the manometer (unless you just want to). Just drill and tap your existing one , install fitting and when done place a vacuum cap on the nipple, simple.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Do you do a lot of short drives? Not getting engine up to temp and keeping it there to cook off condensation from the oil will sometimes cause the yellow gunk you're seeing at the cap. Here's a thread on building a manometer.
Manometer
Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

I agree with those above. It looks like the gunk under the oil filler cap is a result of not driving the car long enough and getting it up to full running temperature. With the oil/filter change, it sounds like you are doing everything right except for driving more frequently and longer runs. Before jumping to an AOS conclusion, a simple check with a digital manometer will tell you where you are. Replacing the AOS with the engine in the car is a major PITA DIY project, one you will never want to repeat....unless you are going to pay someone else to do it.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Gunk under the oil filler cap is also highly dependent on colder ambient temperatures in combination with more humid air. Even when driving the car for a longer time.

I live nearby the coast and as soon as night temperatures start to drop in the fall the gunk starts to appear little by little. Even when driving regularly long distances. When I visit my parent for a longer weekend (they live 3hrs driving more inland) the funk is gone after 2-3 days. The air there is significantly drier as there is no direct humid air supply from the sea.

Nothing to worry about. Just ignore.
Unless it starts to look like a big mayonnaise pot.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
CR Tools offers a complete kit for the 996, but it's expensive.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...1-MFG1245.aspx

Many people configure their own manometers with used 996 oil caps on eBay. Works the same, but many pros insist on CT Tools for accurate manometer readings..
The CR Tools manometer is actually a Dwyer Series 476A with a CR Tools sticker covering the Dwyer logo. You can buy the Dwyer unit for $80.00 and use the $180.00 savings to buy a cap and some tubing.

$80 Dwyer 476A-0

Old 12-16-2018, 12:52 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Great find! I just ordered one. Free shipping, no tax. Do you know what fitting would be required?
Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM
dariopks
6th Gear

That’s a great deal! Ordering one. I went for a longer drive today and the engine feels really solid. Tomorrow I will check with my UV light if there are any coolant leaks (added dye yesterday to the coolant).

I read the AOS replace is a pain. But some people say it was not a big deal... 🤷🏼*♂️

I live in Ontario, Canada so cold weather is a factor, specially this time of the year.

There are a few other things I have to do to sort the car out. Great to know I can count on great responses here! Thanks every one!

Old 12-16-2018, 01:48 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Do you know what fitting would be required?
The data sheet says it takes 3/16˝ or 1/4˝ ID tubing so maybe a 1/4" barb x 1/4" NPT...
Old 12-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
The data sheet says it takes 3/16˝ or 1/4˝ ID tubing so maybe a 1/4" barb x 1/4" NPT...
I would use a 1/8 npt x 3/16, the 1/4 npt is a bit too large and requires a lot of space to look correct in the cap.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:24 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I finally got to use my new manometer. I had trouble finding a correct fitting. The manometer takes a 3/16 or 1/4 inch tube but all of the fittings I found were much bigger on the other end. I bought a new black cap for the car and used the old yellow one for the manometer ( I never liked the yellow cap anyway). I couldn't center the fitting because it was two wide for the channel. Having it off center prevented me from screwing it all the way in but it's in far enough to be tight. I hit the outside of it with hot glue. It's not pretty but it works. Is it normal to read a bit higher when cold? It was about 6.5, then I took it for a short ride and tested again and came up consistently right around 5.0.

Last edited by wyovino; 02-21-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible AOS issue?