996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Doing clutch, not touching IMS

Old 11-20-2018, 04:54 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Interesting. How did Porsche get away with not selling a replacement part? Seems indefensible in general and even more so for a critical part with a relatively high failure rate.
They basically said "The bearing cannot be serviced, if you want to replace it you have to buy an entire intermediate shaft" - for which replacement requires the engine case to be split apart.

For cars covered under the lawsuit I guess this is exactly what they did, install entirely new shafts / replacement engines. For some reason they just never supplied the bearing itself.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

If you're ever planning on selling the car, just replace it. The cost now will pay for itself in lack of headaches from tire kickers down the road.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Porsche has started selling bearings as part of the Porsche classic program , my understanding is you can get it done at one of these classic centers but they won't just sell the parts there was a whole thread on this a while back
Raby said something about Porsche adopting the L&n method and tools they developed
Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
If you're ever planning on selling the car, just replace it. The cost now will pay for itself in lack of headaches from tire kickers down the road.
good point.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

From everything I’ve read, the new shaft makes perfect sense and is consistent with whyI would never replace the original bearing in a higher mileage car with anything other than a oil fed plain bearing. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!! Yes, it’s not broke. It’s not on its way to being broke.

We’ve heard stories of cars having the bearing replaced only to have the new bearing fail...but wait..the car wasn’t properly certified for a replacement! I think that certification came after the fact on the early replacements. So now it seems, you only replace the bearing on cars where the probability is exceptionally low to fail in the first place. Makes no sense to me.

If the shaft is properly specced, I don’t think you need to replace the bearing. If your shaft isn’t in spec, then either a new roller bearing isn’t going to help or your car has probably already died if you have miles on it.

i.e. the shaft is real problem. The original bearing would have been fine with a properly aligned shaft. Small deviations in the shaft put too much stress on original bearing design.

That’s my take away on a nauseating amount of internet yammering. To each his own.

By the way, IIRC, when Porsche settled the suit, they only agreed to a ten year window for compensation. It was already ten years when they settled so Porsche pretty much knew their liability already. Another cockeyed result where the company gets away with very little to pay, owners get the shaft( no shaft actually but a good pun) and the lawyers take their fees.

Edit: I do agree if you are going to sell the car at some point it is easier to replace the bearing than listening to a bunch of tire kickers whine and waste your time.

Last edited by Semitone; 11-20-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:11 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 643 Likes on 392 Posts

Great information in this thread. Somehow the more I learn on this topic, the less I feel I know
Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

The second one I purchased full knowing what I was in for. I swapped out the bearing with an LN version, new OEM clutch, AOS, RMS, Flywheel, Fluids etc. before even taking possession of the car and I can tell you with 100% certainty it has been a far more enjoyable ownership experience having piece of mind that I've taken every precaution to keep the car in the best shape possible.

But how can you sleep at night knowing about the dreaded...chain pad tensioners!?!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Great information in this thread. Somehow the more I learn on this topic, the less I feel I know
Don’t fret, soon you will be an internet expert, as qualified as most commenting on the IMSB - jumping on on these threads arguing fervently one point of view or the other.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
But how can you sleep at night knowing about the dreaded...chain pad tensioners!?!
Honestly those are what bother me more than anything because you see the little tiny bits of them with every oil change. It's like the tick-tock sound of the gator from Peter Pan.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

LOL
I might swap a Mezger in for the OP so nobody's feelings get hurt
OP and I will be assessing and making the best move for him, it's not a cost driven experiment.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 643 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Don’t fret, soon you will be an internet expert, as qualified as most commenting on the IMSB - jumping on on these threads arguing fervently one point of view or the other.
Sadly, I've already argued somewhat fervently in this thread . I've owned 2 996's, the first a 2001 back when they were new, so I did not even know what IMS was (good times, good times). My second 2000 996 had it's dual-row IMS replaced at 62k miles, I plan to replace it again at the 112k (50k intervals). Nothing I've read changes that plan, but it's always good to be informed, so I find these threads very beneficial.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I had mine pulled by an excellent SoCal indy shop at 60K miles after reading all the tales of horror and grief concerning my 2000 C2. The existing single row bearing - inspected closely once pulled - appeared to be in absolutely perfect condition. For what it's worth.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

If you think about it, wouldn’t any IMSB that’s pulled out should look like it’s perfect or like new? Isn’t that how it’s supposed to look?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Holdfast996
Tranny comes out tomorrow, so will see how everything looks.
OP, it’s been several days since this post. We’re all anxious to know what you decided. Updates?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you think about it, wouldn’t any IMSB that’s pulled out should look like it’s perfect or like new? Isn’t that how it’s supposed to look?
Bingo! That’s my understanding. Certified installers would reject a bearing retrofit when the old bearing is beyond Stage 1. Unfortunately, from what Ive heard and read, many shops don’t care and install a new bearing in a contaminated engine even when they can see the old bearing is shedding metal. No skin off their backs. Blame it on LN, blame it on EPS, blame it on Pelican parts, blame it on Porsche, but it’s not our fault!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing clutch, not touching IMS