996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Doing clutch, not touching IMS

Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Holdfast996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing clutch, not touching IMS

So my clutch just went in my 01 C4 and I've decided to get a scan done to check the timing, have a good look at the IMS and see if its leaking, and if
all looks good, I'm not touching it. I'll get the clutch fixed and leave well enough alone.

I keep reading about all these owners that have replaced their IMS only to discover afterwards that the part they just pulled out was perfectly fine.
This car is my daily. Is driven hard, daily. And runs and sounds great. Oil is clear, etc etc. So I'm actually not worried about it.
Current mileage is 125,000km - and I have no service records on her. So no idea if its ever been changed.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Hmmm.....i must question your judgement. I could understand not replacing the ims when no other repairs are being done. But if you are already that far in, the additional labor will be minimal and you will only pay for what ever part you choose (unless you go with the solution). To me the risk simply isnt worth the reward. You could look at as why pay the additional. But on the other side - if it were to fail you could easily be looking at 15k or more to have a shop put an engine in it.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Holdfast996
Intermediate

I totally hear you. But, unless like you said, I go with the Solution, a $2500 Cad part, then a new ims isn't a guarantee either. The LN option is $1000 and when I read the long IMS forum I keep seeing the same thing, "original IMS looked good".

However, it doesn't come down to $$, but more perceived risk. My mechanic and I have seen many 996's and none have had a blown IMS, except one that had 25k on it and was literally driven by an
old lady. So where I go with that is, if the scan is good, and it looks and sounds good, then I'm not worried. Everyone's experience of course will be different, so many will probably disagree with my judgement, and I get that, but from where I sit, there may be no issue.

Tranny comes out tomorrow, so will see how everything looks.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Owning a 996 proves you are gambler by nature.

I like the odds.

Annual oil changes, get oil sample, watch cam deviation and drive the car.

If she blows build a monster 4.0L

This is my plan.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

01's the most problematic year...I'd think twice about this if I where you. Also, knowing it's a wear item, now would be a good time to change it.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

In most cases i agree with you. I too did my ims with an LN part. The original bearing i sent into to confirm my warranty was in perfect shape at 61,000 miles. But i disagree with the method of checking. Checking timing is not an indication of the health of the bearing. Timing can be perfect and the bearing fail tomorrow. Timing could be off and it be due to chain issues, tensioners, guides and numerous other issues. Telling the health of the bearing is only possible by removing it and disassembly which would be pointless. Obviously you could remive the cover plate and check for end play. But again, why go that far and not change a known failure part.

please no i am not arguing. Just trying to help with all perspectives.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

If I was in there on an 01, I would consider changing it. The reason? Because ball bearings age on every rotation. It's closer to end of life now. But I like your thinking. The only other thing would be to take the flange off and remove the grease shield on it.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:43 PM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you. The IMS issue has been over-exploited by companies selling outrageously expensive solutions which are temporary fix.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:33 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Owning a 996 proves you are gambler by nature.

I like the odds.

Annual oil changes, get oil sample, watch cam deviation and drive the car.

If she blows build a monster 4.0L

This is my plan.
annual oil changes? Good luck with that...
Old 11-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is no way to properly inspect the ims without pulling it out completely . A visual from the flange cover off won’t tell you much
thing is once it’s out it can’t be put back in . So it’s a change anyway .
Its a wear item , that should be changed on a reasonable interval when it gets enough hours . Not a run to failure part .
There are lots of components in aircraft that are treated like this , if we maintained aircraft with a run to failure standard , we’d have crashes daily

even the cheap $200 pelican ims is better than hope and pray once you get enough hours on the bearing It’s intended to be swapped out with every clutch .
Old 11-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Fredycrudas
Advanced

Mi two cents.
If you want peace of mind go with the pelican you will be sure that you will be fine for another 30,000 miles or more and it’s under $200.00
Take this from someone that just got his engine blown at 133,000k not IMS related but already spent over $10,000,00 and keeps claiming.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:45 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Don’t be stupid, you have the same single row bearing, it’s not a matter of if, but when. The single row bearing in your car is the worst of the bunch.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
There is no way to properly inspect the ims without pulling it out completely . A visual from the flange cover off won’t tell you much
thing is once it’s out it can’t be put back in . So it’s a change anyway .
Its a wear item , that should be changed on a reasonable interval when it gets enough hours . Not a run to failure part .
There are lots of components in aircraft that are treated like this , if we maintained aircraft with a run to failure standard , we’d have crashes daily

even the cheap $200 pelican ims is better than hope and pray once you get enough hours on the bearing It’s intended to be swapped out with every clutch .

Well, in reality, the bearing is run to failure. It's a 100% failure rate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the great thing about owning a Porsche. Risk - accepted. Not what I would do, but understand the thinking.

Get a full flow filter. Change oil often, and cut the filter each time. Do the oil analysis, and hope for the best.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 395 Posts

You are a skip away from the IMS and do not want to change it? I have seen it happen to my friend and it cost him plenty money. Hey, it's your car, your chances, your money,
Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I've owned 2 996's.

The first one, I drove on pins and needles. Constantly worried about the IMS, wondered which version of the bearing I had, questioned if the vague carfax notes were in relation to it, etc. It really stressed me out and ultimately I got rid of the car because of fear of what might happen. It was not an enjoyable first Porsche experience.

The second one I purchased full knowing what I was in for. I swapped out the bearing with an LN version, new OEM clutch, AOS, RMS, Flywheel, Fluids etc. before even taking possession of the car and I can tell you with 100% certainty it has been a far more enjoyable ownership experience having piece of mind that I've taken every precaution to keep the car in the best shape possible.

It's a might as well, while you're in there item. Just do it and move on. If you sell the car in the next few years it will pay for itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing clutch, not touching IMS