Sponsored by:

Engine Failure AFTER IMS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Hmm, it seems like I heard someone else recommend this as well.
If I remember right he lives in GA and co-invented The IMS Solution.
Just can't argue with someone who has probably seen more used IMS bearings than anyone else.
Yep, I totally agree. The pre-qualification requirement makes total sense. Why would you want to invest thousands of dollars installing a product in a car that has serious problems that will later cause even more serious problems? Like many of you, I've read one too many stories where shops, that don't care either way, install a bearing in a metal contaminated car. It's all about money to them and don't care about the owner.

Also, I did the clutch and AOS. I didn't realize it, but my clutch had worn down to the rivets. The AOS was still performing okay, but the manometer reading was a little low and so it was replaced to save future labor costs.

My expansion tank now has a crack in it and I blame all the people here at Rennlist, cause I think the problem has become contagious. hahaha This is the year of expansion!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Who burns through a clutch after only 21k miles?
I've seen people burn up new clutches in a matter of minutes. Some people can destroy anything.

The Carrera GT has a special take-off procedure that MUST be followed or the triple disk carbon fiber clutch will be toasted.
Basically, the throttle cannot be depressed while take-off, the computer will sense clutch release and will adjust REV and THROTTLE as nessesary, then after clutch is fully released you can depress throttle. The engine will rev so fast and so high that trying to do it your self will result in a burnt clutch to the tune of 10,000 bucks !! I have seen these clutches burnt out while leaving the dealership, on a slight hill going onto the main road.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I've seen people burn up new clutches in a matter of minutes. Some people can destroy anything.

The Carrera GT has a special take-off procedure that MUST be followed or the triple disk carbon fiber clutch will be toasted.
Basically, the throttle cannot be depressed while take-off, the computer will sense clutch release and will adjust REV and THROTTLE as nessesary, then after clutch is fully released you can depress throttle. The engine will rev so fast and so high that trying to do it your self will result in a burnt clutch to the tune of 10,000 bucks !! I have seen these clutches burnt out while leaving the dealership, on a slight hill going onto the main road.
I didn’t know that with the CGT. But that’s how I try to drive my car as well. I only use throttle after the engine and input shaft of tranny are the same speed between shifts, aside from starting off in 1st from a dead stop. But I baby 1st to get moving. Once synchronized and locked, then hammer down. A clutch can last 100,000+ this way. But to your point, can be destroyed in 15 mins if I were to try.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the clutch replaced with the IMS at 36k miles because I figured you may as well why the trans is dropped. I am sure the owner of that car had the exact same logic.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Pre- Qualification procedures were developed, and are a required procedure for all Certified Installers for good reasons.

We are a few days into our November IMS Solution Clinic here at Flat 6. We set aside November and May for these semi- annual installation Clinics and do all the IMS Solution work at these times only.
So far, 6 days in and we've qualified one 996 out of four that have arrived for the service. The other 3 had debris laden oil, high cam deviations, or failing cylinders. Keep in mind that all of these vehicles came from out of state and all of them went through a preliminary check sheet inspection before we accepted the jobs. The local shops that carried these things out simply failed to do their jobs, and we found all of these issues immediately upon arrival here at Flat 6. One of them was diagnosed audibly and we knew it had a failing cylinder right off the truck. We held the truck to confirm this, and we packed it up and sent the car right back home again.

People just don't pay attention. If the car "runs fine" they assume that its all perfect inside. This could not be further from the truth.

On the flip side we are seeing a ton of technicians that are seeing warning signs and not reporting the issues, and just marching forward with the installation of the IMS retrofit kit. Why? Well, because they work on a commission based pay scale and if they do the right thing, they lose money at the end of the week. They are penalized for doing the right thing, so even good ones choose to do the wrong thing.

These are the reasons why choosing an IMS Solution Certified Installer simply makes sense. No one else has anything to lose, and they don't have to answer for their mistakes, or inadequacies. Certified Installers have a lot to lose. They will lose it with one single infraction, and they know it.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Pre- Qualification procedures were developed, and are a required procedure for all Certified Installers for good reasons.

We are a few days into our November IMS Solution Clinic here at Flat 6. We set aside November and May for these semi- annual installation Clinics and do all the IMS Solution work at these times only.
So far, 6 days in and we've qualified one 996 out of four that have arrived for the service. The other 3 had debris laden oil, high cam deviations, or failing cylinders. Keep in mind that all of these vehicles came from out of state and all of them went through a preliminary check sheet inspection before we accepted the jobs. The local shops that carried these things out simply failed to do their jobs, and we found all of these issues immediately upon arrival here at Flat 6. One of them was diagnosed audibly and we knew it had a failing cylinder right off the truck. We held the truck to confirm this, and we packed it up and sent the car right back home again.

People just don't pay attention. If the car "runs fine" they assume that its all perfect inside. This could not be further from the truth.

On the flip side we are seeing a ton of technicians that are seeing warning signs and not reporting the issues, and just marching forward with the installation of the IMS retrofit kit. Why? Well, because they work on a commission based pay scale and if they do the right thing, they lose money at the end of the week. They are penalized for doing the right thing, so even good ones choose to do the wrong thing.

These are the reasons why choosing an IMS Solution Certified Installer simply makes sense. No one else has anything to lose, and they don't have to answer for their mistakes, or inadequacies. Certified Installers have a lot to lose. They will lose it with one single infraction, and they know it.
I watched a video that was recently posted to YouTube where a shop was preparing to install an LN IMS retrofit bearing. The video looked to be more promotional in nature, but basically they just checked the oil and moved onto installing the bearing. Skipped over all 10 other steps you have listed in the install manual.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I watched a video that was recently posted to YouTube where a shop was preparing to install an LN IMS retrofit bearing. The video looked to be more promotional in nature, but basically they just checked the oil and moved onto installing the bearing. Skipped over all 10 other steps you have listed in the install manual.
Yes, those videoXperts on YouTube... They are usually one step above the "forumites" (as Mr. Raby calls them!) that parrot info from one forum to another, and do so as their own.

After years of me prodding him, Mr. Raby has finally agreed to start a YouTube channel (Rennvision) and one of these first videos is on the topic of pre- qualification. This video is aimed toward the DIY/ non- professional installer of IMS products and hits all the vital points.

Subscribe to the channel, several videos are being shot each month and will soon be posted on a weekly basis, all technical in nature, and the vast majority focus on the M96/ M97 engine.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:19 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Oh, this is great news! I learned a lot from the PCA videos and look forward to seeing more from Jake Raby. I really appreciate his contribution to the DIY Porsche community.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Fantastic video, thank you! What does it mean?

Last edited by 808Bill; 11-07-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I got a fuel trim 2.39 on bank one, all else at 1.0
MAF is reading 12-15
Could this be why I get a little surge at idle once in a while?

Last edited by 808Bill; 11-08-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:49 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Great videos!
I've watched all of them so far.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Have you guys seen his video that he posted yesterday on the 997 blown engine? Crazy!

Old 11-08-2018, 02:44 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome, I love these videos as they are not too technical but techny enough to provide useful information to non-mechanic types like me.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure AFTER IMS replacement