Sponsored by:

DGI's Project 996 "Sally"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:41 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Awesome! We can travel this (rocky?) road together! Are you getting youre car inspected after the fact? Do you have a thread on your car?!

I've been tracking the car I bought since it was posted originally. I admit it was the Fikse wheels that attracted me to the car even though I'll likely sell them off to free up some project cash LOL
Nah, I'm actually not getting the car inspected. I figure I already own it, I'll have to fix whatever needs fixing and I'll figure it out myself (with the help of Rennlist of course). Also, I live in southwest Virginia, so there's not a lot of (obvious) P-car activity around here. The closest Porsche dealer is over two hours away (not that I'd necessarilary utilize a dealership if it were closer...). I have started a thread here.

I saw your car at some point in the past on CL and thought the same thing then--that it was too good to be true. Since I live five plus hours away from Baltimore it wasn't something I pursued. Then this past Thursday (11-OCT-18) I saw the 99 I ended up buying on the DC Craigslist. I contacted the seller and set up a meeting for Friday. Friday morning before leaving home I did my usual CL search and up popped your 996. I decided not to contact that seller since my day was already going to be long (4+ hour drive to DC). Later that day I became a 996 owner myself.

So yeah, we'll be traveling a similar road I guess. Mine will be slow because of budgetary constraints. Good luck and I'll be rooting for you!

Last edited by details; 10-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM
details
Instructor

<snip> Sorry for the triple post.

Last edited by details; 10-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Completed her first oil change yesterday. Pretty straight forward. I wish all oil changes were that easy. On my 2013 Mini JCW Clubman the filter is in a terrible location.

I forgot to grab my Blackstone kit as I was in a rush to do the oil change before my 2 year old woke up so I'll have to wait to get a sample sent off in the spring time. I will be cutting open the filter after work today. It took all 9 quarts of oil and the oil level is directly in the middle of the dip stick area. Is that acceptable or must it be filled to the top fill line on the dip stick?

Got the tags mounted and took her out for a quick spin as I havent driven the car since my initial test drive (had a friend driver her home) and she needs some love. The steering wheel is cocked to the right and the suspension feels loose. Granted I dont have much experience behind the wheel of 911s but the suspension feels sloppy and old. Shifter is also a little sloppy and I can feel it needs some engine/tranny mounts. I'm open to suggestions on upgrades in these areas

Originally Posted by Turbodan
skip the dealer go straight to Indy.
I have a friend that used to be the Service Manager at this dealer and since he cant do a PPI on the side at his current shop, he suggested I take it there to his friend thats still employed at the dealer. Id rather go to a tech I trust than shoot blind at one of the 3 Indys in my area. Future work will be done either in my garage, at a friends shop or at an Independent that I'll select as time goes on and I have a chance to chat with them.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM
details
Instructor

<snip>
(I submitted this twice yesterday but for whatever reason it didn't post.)

Apparently it did post. See above.

Last edited by details; 10-19-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 AM
details
Instructor

Originally Posted by DGI
...Got the tags mounted and took her out for a quick spin as I havent driven the car since my initial test drive (had a friend driver her home) and she needs some love.
Tip of the hat for your patience! Amazing self-control. (Or a very busy person.) I'm already looking for excuses to drive mine.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Completed her first oil change yesterday. Pretty straight forward. I wish all oil changes were that easy. On my 2013 Mini JCW Clubman the filter is in a terrible location.

I forgot to grab my Blackstone kit as I was in a rush to do the oil change before my 2 year old woke up so I'll have to wait to get a sample sent off in the spring time. I will be cutting open the filter after work today. It took all 9 quarts of oil and the oil level is directly in the middle of the dip stick area. Is that acceptable or must it be filled to the top fill line on the dip stick?

Got the tags mounted and took her out for a quick spin as I havent driven the car since my initial test drive (had a friend driver her home) and she needs some love. The steering wheel is cocked to the right and the suspension feels loose. Granted I dont have much experience behind the wheel of 911s but the suspension feels sloppy and old. Shifter is also a little sloppy and I can feel it needs some engine/tranny mounts. I'm open to suggestions on upgrades in these areas

I have a friend that used to be the Service Manager at this dealer and since he cant do a PPI on the side at his current shop, he suggested I take it there to his friend thats still employed at the dealer. Id rather go to a tech I trust than shoot blind at one of the 3 Indys in my area. Future work will be done either in my garage, at a friends shop or at an Independent that I'll select as time goes on and I have a chance to chat with them.
A proper PPI pulls the oil sump plate...There goes your new oil If you're in this thing for the long haul, you need to take a step back and prioritize - doing things in a logical and purposeful manner will save you $ and in the long run will be better for the car (and your peace of mind).
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by dporto
A proper PPI pulls the oil sump plate...There goes your new oil If you're in this thing for the long haul, you need to take a step back and prioritize - doing things in a logical and purposeful manner will save you $ and in the long run will be better for the car (and your peace of mind).
I watched the video on youtube that goes over the PPI and saw them pull the sump plate but when talking to the service writer I got the impression that it wasnt part of the mix. I'll have a chat with them today when I go drop it off and call around before hand to compare notes.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:03 PM
captain pabst
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Was that the one listed for 9k? I thought about trying to buy the wheels off of it. Let me know if you want to part with any. I'm in Baltimore with a 99
Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 AM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

Congrats! That's a beautiful 996.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by captain pabst
Was that the one listed for 9k? I thought about trying to buy the wheels off of it. Let me know if you want to part with any. I'm in Baltimore with a 99
PM sent!

anyone know the proper offset and width for 17” wheels?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

http://howtoporsche.com/911-series/9...pecifications/

Old 10-18-2018, 09:23 PM
DGI
Pro

Got an email with the results from the PPI!

Car is still at the dealer getting its interior detailed but attached is a snapshot of the list.

Not sure if I mentioned that the previous owner had an air horn installed behind front bumper because factory horn stopped working.

Repairs seem pretty simple with room for upgrades along the way :-)

Any tips and tricks would surely be appreciated

Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

LOL It's funny to see a bill of almost $11k. :-P

I recently took my 325ci to the dealer to have the airbag recall done. When I picked up the car, the complimentary inspection report they gave me was for $5500. I laughed, too.

I would not be surprised if the horn button under the airbag is the issue with the horn not working. I believe many early 996's suffered from this issue. The common issue was if you came to a stop fast, the horn was sound. I can find the link to the issue if you need.

Fortunately $4500 of your bill is for tires and shocks. Those are two things I don't mind upgrading on any car, especially a sports car. Brake pads and rotors are another.

The oil analysis and the cooling system are obviously two things to put high on the maintenance list. Curious how your air-oil separator is. Another thing to be concerned about is the coolant expansion tank. If you're going to flush the cooling system, I would change the tank as well.

Personally, if it were me, I would wait for the oil analysis before putting any money into the car. Once that is complete, you can go from there. In the meantime, look for a suitable used upgraded suspension. DO NOT DO ANY ENGINE MODIFICATIONS to it. It is a waste of money and time. Suspension and driver-experience mods are the way to go!

Also, check out fcpeuro for any new parts you need.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
LOL It's funny to see a bill of almost $11k. :-P

I recently took my 325ci to the dealer to have the airbag recall done. When I picked up the car, the complimentary inspection report they gave me was for $5500. I laughed, too.

I would not be surprised if the horn button under the airbag is the issue with the horn not working. I believe many early 996's suffered from this issue. The common issue was if you came to a stop fast, the horn was sound. I can find the link to the issue if you need.

Fortunately $4500 of your bill is for tires and shocks. Those are two things I don't mind upgrading on any car, especially a sports car. Brake pads and rotors are another.

The oil analysis and the cooling system are obviously two things to put high on the maintenance list. Curious how your air-oil separator is. Another thing to be concerned about is the coolant expansion tank. If you're going to flush the cooling system, I would change the tank as well.

Personally, if it were me, I would wait for the oil analysis before putting any money into the car. Once that is complete, you can go from there. In the meantime, look for a suitable used upgraded suspension. DO NOT DO ANY ENGINE MODIFICATIONS to it. It is a waste of money and time. Suspension and driver-experience mods are the way to go!

Also, check out fcpeuro for any new parts you need.
excellent tips! Coolant expansion tank swap on the list now :-)

ive got FCPeuro saved in my favorites after watching “legitstreetcars” on youtube. I believe they offer a discount code through his chanel as wel :-P

no engine mods planned except for a Fister D exhaust mod. Still need to cut open my old oil filter...
Old 10-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI

excellent tips! Coolant expansion tank swap on the list now :-)

ive got FCPeuro saved in my favorites after watching “legitstreetcars” on youtube. I believe they offer a discount code through his chanel as wel :-P

no engine mods planned except for a Fister D exhaust mod. Still need to cut open my old oil filter...
The Fister D exhaust mod is a GREAT mod. That's the only sound modification I think is worthwhile. Exhaust systems for these cars are pretty expansive. It's the way the car should've come from the factory.

I recommend focusing on tires, suspension, and shifter modifications. Seats as well, but not necessary.

Quick Reply: DGI's Project 996 "Sally"