Baking tonight....

crossing my fingers lol

Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Very nice!

Can't wait to hear the Fister exhaust!

Did you figure out why he bypassed the OE horn system?

*Oh, just curious if you thought about taking your mufflers to Mandrel Bend Solutions in Pasadena to have them do the Fister D mod. They are a really good exhaust shop and local!

Last edited by Prelude Guy; 02-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
[left]Baking tonight....

crossing my fingers lol
Good luck!
I've never done headlights in the oven but I used it to soften the adhesive on some BBS wheels with good results.
(Pro-Tip: When removing filthy wheels after their 5-10 minutes at 350°, do NOT use the novelty oven mitts that were given to you as a gift by the lady that you were planning on sleeping with later on in the evening )

And while we're talking about kitchen appliances, I can state that a dishwasher does a lousy job on wheel centers.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Very nice!

Can't wait to hear the Fister exhaust!

Did you figure out why he bypassed the OE horn system?

*Oh, just curious if you thought about taking your mufflers to Mandrel Bend Solutions in Pasadena to have them do the Fister D mod. They are a really good exhaust shop and local!
I thought about having someone local try the mod and save on time/shipping/expense but need to call around I guess

The OE horn system was bypassed for the same reason the front bumper was held on by tape.... LAZINESS

Rather than fix the issue correctly (source lost hardware for the bumper) one of the previous owners just slapped an air horn setup on the car (which was more work in fact...) Doesnt look like they bothered to clean the radiators while they were doing their "mod" though so all around fail.

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Good luck!
I've never done headlights in the oven but I used it to soften the adhesive on some BBS wheels with good results.
(Pro-Tip: When removing filthy wheels after their 5-10 minutes at 350°, do NOT use the novelty oven mitts that were given to you as a gift by the lady that you were planning on sleeping with later on in the evening )

And while we're talking about kitchen appliances, I can state that a dishwasher does a lousy job on wheel centers.

20 year old headlight glue no longer has the ability to warm and soften... after three 20 min sessions in the oven, I finally started getting some separation on the drivers side headlight in the corner where all the youtube videos suggest you start at... then CRACK. Cracked the headlight lense.

Looks like i'll be reinstalling the headlights as is after a polish to the exterior lense and source a replacement set down the road.

Very disappointing but the show must go on!

Side note: 20 year old exhaust clamps SUCK! I lubed all the clamps days in advance with PB Blaster and nothing. They were so corroded that they needed different size sockets to turn. The 4 bolts that held on the muffler to the cat all broke (easy enough) and then I had to use my dremel to cut the clamps that held the tips on to the mufflers. At least the mufflers are now ready for modification.

Ordering new clamps from FCP Euro to take advantage of their "lifetime guaranty" along with some other minor parts. Didnt have any motivation to take off the serpentine belt to test the pullies before heading inside for dinner.

Need to get that order placed and tackle the suspension next just to get the car rolling sooner than later.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

I've gone to MBS twice. Both times they did a great job on my exhausts. I have a damaged Tubi Style exhaust that needs a bent pipe replaced. I will be going to them to have it done. Definitely check them out. Not far at all.

996.2 Litronic headlights and front bumper swap?!!! I might have extras. :-P

Sux about the headlights, but am not too surprised to hear what happened. I was actually going to suggest to a friend who has a Boxster 986 racecar with Litronic headlights to potentially trade with you. He didn't need them for what he uses the car for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to ask before he wrecked his car last Dec at Summit Point and took out his pass. headlight. :crying

I know what you mean about the exhaust hardware. I ordered several extras to replace as needed in the future.

EDIT: The front bumper was held on only with tape?!!!!! WTF!! lol

Last edited by Prelude Guy; 02-14-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I've gone to MBS twice. Both times they did a great job on my exhausts. I have a damaged Tubi Style exhaust that needs a bent pipe replaced. I will be going to them to have it done. Definitely check them out. Not far at all.

996.2 Litronic headlights and front bumper swap?!!! I might have extras. :-P

Sux about the headlights, but am not too surprised to hear what happened. I was actually going to suggest to a friend who has a Boxster 986 racecar with Litronic headlights to potentially trade with you. He didn't need them for what he uses the car for. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to ask before he wrecked his car last Dec at Summit Point and took out his pass. headlight. :crying

I know what you mean about the exhaust hardware. I ordered several extras to replace as needed in the future.

EDIT: The front bumper was held on only with tape?!!!!! WTF!! lol
not only tape but there was only one bolt in underneath, the rest was secured using heavy duty packing tape it seems lol

i thought about Litronics but I think the hassle and expense isnt what Im looking for... im sure something will pop up sooner or later

i dig the early 996.1 front end so its staying!!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

following
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM
DGI
Pro

Baby steps!

Prepared the factory mufflers for shipment to Fister for modification

Packed up Fikse wheels for shipment to new owner

Soaked all the suspension bolts with some more PB Blaster and disconnected the sway bar links.

Tomorrow i’ll tackle the fronts. Hopefully the car will be ready for an alignment by the beginning of next week!

Need to order more hardware from local dealer :-)

Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM
DGI
Pro

Snow day today so I got to start on Sally’s suspension overhaul. Sprayed on some PB Blaster a couple days ago so everything started off pretty smooth

Passenger side issues.

Two brokern caliper bolts and one stripped rotor retaining screw. Removed spindle from car and will take by machine shop tomorrow to see what can be done.

Driver side came apart just fine.

Both strut nuts are pretty rusty, soaking in PB Blaster now. Will continue tomorrow.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the youtubers I watch (Andrew Camarata) repairs his own excavation equipment. Several times, I've seen him take a nut and weld it onto the end of a mangled bolt head.

However, when Samcrac was trying to unbolt stuff off of his 996 suspension, he had a bunch of problems like this. If the bolt (which is now only a stud) has fused bad enough, there may be no way to get it out.

Good luck with it. I know this kind of stuff can be very frustrating
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

I bet the first thing the shop does it hit it with some fire. Heat will likely loosen it up.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Yup, heat cycle it a couple of times with oxy acetylene and hit it with penetrating fluid when it is warm (not hot) to wick into the threads. You can weld a nut on the end so you have something to apply torque to as well. If necessary, center punch, drill and chase threads. Or helicoil if it goes beyond that. Worst case replace the knuckle. No fun, but kinda goes with the territory.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by cds72911
Yup, heat cycle it a couple of times with oxy acetylene and hit it with penetrating fluid when it is warm (not hot) to wick into the threads. You can weld a nut on the end so you have something to apply torque to as well. If necessary, center punch, drill and chase threads. Or helicoil if it goes beyond that. Worst case replace the knuckle. No fun, but kinda goes with the territory.
I was going to apply some heat but I dont have anything to get it hot enough (handheld torch wont cut it) so I'm taking it to a local shop.

Front spindles arent too $$ on Ebay but Im hoping for a "quick" fix.

Wish it was in the budget to replace all the control arms while I'm in here but that will have to wait for a later date. Would prefer to go RSS anyway rather than slap in some factory units. Should be something to look forward to next winter.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

An oxy acetylene torch (aka "smoke wrench") is the right tool for the job. I have a setup from years ago that I used a lot when I built/had a rally car. I hardly ever use it these days, but it sure is handy if/when you need it.

MAPP gas might work, but I'm not sure. The heat cycling expands and contracts the part and can loosen the bond between the fastener and base material. An old machinist showed my dad this and he showed me. I think the same old guy would use wax (like an old candle stub) on the warmed part to wick wax into the threads on stuck threaded parts (but I may be making this up in my head...). Granted he worked on more old tractors, but the metal parts don't know the difference.

Oh yeah, if you (or someone else reading this later) ends up drilling the stud out, invest in some left twist drills. Sometimes they will snag the fastener and back it out as you are drilling. Another good tip from my dad that has worked more than once.

Quick Reply: DGI's Project 996 "Sally"