996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DGI's Project 996 "Sally"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Drove Sally for a couple days now. No surprises or concerns.

Really digging the driving experience! Cant wait for Fister exhaust to come in. Muffler delete is liveable but not very pleasing to the senses lol

Dinner with my better half last night. She liked the ride, hated the exhaust, and commented that the body work needs to be addressed sooner than later. June/July project!!

Side note, a little creative thinking got the drivers side headlight completely functional without having to replace the broken headlight bracket yet. Sourced one from an awesome Rennlister and will swap out once it comes in but at least Im not risking getting pulled over anymore.

For under $500, these headlights are damn clean!! Need to polish them up and protect them still.

Happy side note: Tested the A/C last night as I was driving to dinner and was pleasantly surprised that it blew ICE COLD!!! Took a couple minutes after already up to operating temp the other day for hot air to blow but the A/C worked instantly.

I was considering completely stripping the A/C out of the car if it was not working for whatever reason (in the name of weight and to aid in free-er air flow to radiators) but I guess it'll stick around for now.

Last edited by DGI; 03-31-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 AM
DGI
Pro

My wife and I started dating 9 years ago today!

Why is this relevant on a 996 forum? I hid her gift in the Frunk of my 996 when it arrived and when I went to retrieve it yesterday both my Frunk release and my engine lid release were in-op!!?!?!

Turns out on 1999 996s when the doors lock, the Frunk and rear latches lock also. Apparently, for whatever reason, last night was the first time the P-car Gods decided it would be entertaining to jam both the front and rear lock mechanisms sending me into a Google searching frenzy.

It turns out that sometimes when you lock the door, it doesnt unlock the rest of the locking mechanisms. Locking the car from the key hole and unlocking it again released all the locks and all was good.

Fun times!!!

I really need to get my key fob working lol
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM
DGI
Pro

I had a line on a full OEM Aero kit painted in Arctic silver for $4k. Was talking to the seller for the past couple months and was planning on driving out to meet him at the end of May. Decided I wanted to do it sooner and asked him to get some detailed pics of the goods and in the process he ended up deciding to reinstall the kit on his car

I'm now talking to the same guy about buying his stock front bumper as its already Arctic silver and will use the money I would have spent on the aero kit to fix the rest of my cosmetic issues

I like the Aero look ALOT but i'm not about to buy parts new and go through the paint process from scratch. I'll be keeping the stock lines of my car for the foreseeable future.

Picked up a small air compressor so now I'll have "shop air" to power a Uview coolant flusher Cant wait to get underneath Sally again to continue removing items from the To-Do list!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:29 AM
DGI
Pro

Been driving Sally a couple days a week and every drive im more impressed with what my “cheap” 911 offers.

Currently waiting for some free time to continue on my pending maintenance items. In the meantime, im searching for some more parts :-)

Im looking to:

Delete sound system
Delete side air/bags (GT3 doorpanels)

Replace seats (Manual Sport? GT3 Recaro? Cobra Nogaro?)

Delete Sunroof?

Flat Bottom 4 Spoke Steering wheel

Ultimately, i’d love to drop some weight and fit in the car better. Id like to retain rear seat access so im leaning towards Sport Seats but it depends if its feasible (cost wise) to go sunroof-less)

Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 PM
DGI
Pro

Given the lead time, I placed an order today
Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

Looks good, how long do you have to wait for it?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by motoo344
Looks good, how long do you have to wait for it?
3-4 weeks but i’m not in a rush. Have a Carnewal steering column extension to install at the same time along with a multi-function switch to enable navigating my obc menu :-)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:59 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Given the lead time, I placed an order today
Where are you sourcing this? I am looking at various options to get me a little more room for my legs.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by bplein
Where are you sourcing this? I am looking at various options to get me a little more room for my legs.
http://www.dctms.com/Products.html

They are on Ebay but if you email them they'll give you a better price than Ebay.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM
bplein
Racer

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Ha, y'all are talking eBay steering wheels and I just got this email from SunCoast Parts only minutes later.

These Porsche Alcantara wheels are just $1995 for the 996.
I'll stick with my non-Alcantara Momo.
I still need to install it.
I just haven't had time to work on my own car lately.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:22 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Ha, y'all are talking eBay steering wheels and I just got this email from SunCoast Parts only minutes later.

These Porsche Alcantara wheels are just $1995 for the 996.
Thats a pretty penny!

Ultimately I need knee room. I was originally going to look for a Raid steering wheel but since I found a Carnewal steering extension for cheap, a modded stock wheel will work just fine for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:26 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Many Momo steering wheels are around $200, if you don't mind not having an airbag.
I picked mine up for $40.
It didn't fit the guy's Jeep, so he ordered a larger one.
He used it for one week.
He waited too long to fit it and couldn't return it.
It's setting in a box with my Momo adapter and extension from Carnewal.
It might be too small for the 996 too, but for $40 I figured it was worth a try.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:47 PM
bplein
Racer

I'd really like to see if there's a seat out there that has similar width/comfort to the "Comfort" seats in my 40AE, but can go down lower and further back. I don't need fore-aft adjustment once I find my sweet spot, but tilt adjustment is probably necessary to get my seating right. There are track extenders that might work to move be back but my head is already at the headliner, going back makes things worse unless I can also go down.

I really need to find a shop that does aftermarket seats from multiple vendors, has some in stock and can work with me on it. It's not going to be cheap and I'd prefer to stay with an OEM look.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Many Momo steering wheels are around $200, if you don't mind not having an airbag.
I picked mine up for $40.
It didn't fit the guy's Jeep, so he ordered a larger one.
He used it for one week.
He waited too long to fit it and couldn't return it.
It's setting in a box with my Momo adapter and extension from Carnewal.
It might be too small for the 996 too, but for $40 I figured it was worth a try.
This is exactly what I did with my Mustang. Used Alcantara Momo Monte Carlo for $50 back in the day. Moved the steering closer to me with a detachable sparco hub and acts as theft deterrent if I ever park it somewhere.

Didnt want to go this route with the 996 as I'd like to keep it somewhat OEM looking.

Originally Posted by bplein
I'd really like to see if there's a seat out there that has similar width/comfort to the "Comfort" seats in my 40AE, but can go down lower and further back. I don't need fore-aft adjustment once I find my sweet spot, but tilt adjustment is probably necessary to get my seating right. There are track extenders that might work to move be back but my head is already at the headliner, going back makes things worse unless I can also go down.

I really need to find a shop that does aftermarket seats from multiple vendors, has some in stock and can work with me on it. It's not going to be cheap and I'd prefer to stay with an OEM look.
Im tempted to order a set of brackets from Wedge Engineering to see if the Recaro SRDs from my Mustang would sit lower in the 996 than my stock seats. That would be the sweet spot. Adjustable front to rear and retaining rear seat access (my kids get a kick of going for rides around the neighborhood).

Next best thing would be to do a sunroof delete. I'd retain the adjustability of my stock seats but add some headroom and lose some weight.

My final option would be the Cobra Nogaro seats. Low side bolster and removable cushions that allow for lower seating (me) or full cushion (wife).

For $100, the Wedge bracket may get a chance to shine soon.

Quick Reply: DGI's Project 996 "Sally"