Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Winter storage

Hi everyone

I will soon bring my 02' C4S to a storage garage.
The garage is kept at room temperature during the whole winter.
Ive read some advices here and there but I do have some questions.

Theses are the infos I have so far:
-Do an oil change
-Use fuel and oil stabilizer (Storage defender from Driven?)
-Fill the tires at maximum air pressure
-Use a battery tender

-First an oil change was done August 1st. Wondering if it worth it to do another one before the end of October? Do you think this semi-fresh oil will do it or should I replace oil and filter before storage and keep the same oil for the next season?
Or keep my semi-fresh oil, send the car to storage with stabilizer and do an oil change next spring?

-Anyone have experienced Fuel/Oil stabilizer? Can it create problems of any sort?

-Just wondering if some have the maximum air pressure from Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N4? I guess I can found it on the tire?

You guys have any other advises?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi everyone

I will soon bring my 02' C4S to a storage garage.
The garage is kept at room temperature during the whole winter.
Ive read some advices here and there but I do have some questions.

Theses are the infos I have so far:
-Do an oil change
-Use fuel and oil stabilizer (Storage defender from Driven?)
-Fill the tires at maximum air pressure
-Use a battery tender

-First an oil change was done August 1st. Wondering if it worth it to do another one before the end of October? Do you think this semi-fresh oil will do it or should I replace oil and filter before storage and keep the same oil for the next season?
Or keep my semi-fresh oil, send the car to storage with stabilizer and do an oil change next spring?

-Anyone have experienced Fuel/Oil stabilizer? Can it create problems of any sort?

-Just wondering if some have the maximum air pressure from Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N4? I guess I can found it on the tire?

You guys have any other advises?

Thanks!
Think this is the best bet as you suggest. (Or keep my semi-fresh oil, send the car to storage with stabilizer and do an oil change next spring?)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:54 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes to adding fuel additive, don't bother with an oil additive, waste of money. The oil in the car is fine to use, you wont need to change it next sprint, just a waste of oil. just take it out for a few good runs in Spring and your done. Store it as is and drive it next year. Next winter just do the oil change just before storage.

I'd also suggest you give the interior a good vacuum and clean, remove the mats and place some silica bags around the car. You can pick large ones up off Amazon.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Dont forget moth ***** for in the engine bay and under the car to keep the mice out.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Your oil is fine. Change it when it's 5,000 miles old in 2019.

Use StaBil. 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons fuel.

Pump up tires to 55-58 psi.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:41 AM
buccicone
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Dont forget moth ***** for in the engine bay and under the car to keep the mice out.

Bounce dryer sheets all around engine bay, interior & Frunck. You will never get the moth ball smell out of it.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 PM
245ster
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 for StaBil fuel stabilizer. Worked great for me.

I'd also recommend washing your car and keeping it under a cover while in storage.

And don't forget... the frunk (where the battery is) and engine bay are both locked electronically. So in the event your battery dies, you will not be able to access them to jump the car. Instead you need to follow the convoluted instructions in the owner's manual to jump the fuse box first to get them open.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:00 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

I don't understand the tire advice. Are people running bias ply still? Any radial flat spots will disappear the first time the tires come up to temp in the spring.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

The reason for the tire advice has more to do with the idea that most people have to account for the drop in temps and the loss of air over time (averaging 1psi/mo).
Old 09-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

My advice is TO DRIVE THE CAR! Get some winter snows and enjoy it!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:34 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
My advice is TO DRIVE THE CAR! Get some winter snows and enjoy it!
This suggestion is fine for people with the lack of fear for other idiot drivers. Where I live especially the first few snows of the winter people around here seem to have forgotten how to drive in winter. There are enough fools driving, again in this area, much less in less than ideal conditions.

In spite of the above disclaimer, there are 996 owners who equip their cars properly and drive all winter successfully. So personal choice...
Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Idiot drivers are everywhere and every season. Just look at the recent spate of accidents on here. Nevertheless I understand the fear but I still suggest you drive it on days when it is not so bad. My C4 is a blast in the winter!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

2x on the scented dryer sheets, work very well and they're cheap. I used to put them everywhere in the car inside and out and never had a problem plus the car smells great in the spring. Then I started driving it year round in MN, switching wheels and tires for the winter and love it. Car with good Blizzak snows handles better in the snow than most 4x4's until it gets too deep... there's idiots out everywhere summer and winter so you just have to stay aware.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
Idiot drivers are everywhere and every season. Just look at the recent spate of accidents on here. Nevertheless I understand the fear but I still suggest you drive it on days when it is not so bad. My C4 is a blast in the winter!
Understood. Mine is a 4S but it stays in the garage during winter, my choice. I have two other vehicles that are much more capable in winter and would pain me less if some dork slid into it because of lack of skill in driving on snow/ice. It's just me. To each to his own decision.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi everyone

Thanks for your advises!

I wont use the car in winter as the season is quite hard here in Qc. I also have a 4x4 vehicule that can handle it well. On the other side just thinking about the car in deep snow make me dream!

I will defenately use some dryer sheets in the engine bay and interior, sounds like a good idea.

The frunk problem wont be an issue as I have safety cables installed.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Winter storage