RIP My 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
Great recovery!

Happy to say that California Highway Patrol has started implementing a new radar gun that not only records speed but also whether you were texting at the time you were speeding! Turns out text messages go out at a certain frequency that is easily captured.

The fines for texting while driving are not yet announced but will be severe. Makes me happy!

The new system is already in use on the "Tesla Highway" (Highway 280 between San Francisco and San Jose).

Bill
Just picking up your phone to check the time will cost you $300. in Hawaii.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 457 Likes on 296 Posts

Wow! Your phone bills are expensive! Maybe buy a watch?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Lol, yah it was one of my drivers that got tagged on Friday for picking up his phone and looking at it (so he says). I told him to contest it as he was not talking or texting according to his passenger.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The nanny state will always find ways to get money, even under the guise of safety. Smh
Old 09-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Crap, while finalizing the negotiations with me, the guy sold the blue 991 to someone else. Bastard. Hunt is back on.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
Great recovery!

Happy to say that California Highway Patrol has started implementing a new radar gun that not only records speed but also whether you were texting at the time you were speeding! Turns out text messages go out at a certain frequency that is easily captured.

The fines for texting while driving are not yet announced but will be severe. Makes me happy!

The new system is already in use on the "Tesla Highway" (Highway 280 between San Francisco and San Jose).

Bill
Hmm, time to run off the feature that automatically texts someone to let them know you're driving and can't answer if they call or text you.
...or maybe never visit CA.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
The nanny state will always find ways to get money, even under the guise of safety. Smh

Rather than complain how about offering a solution for all the traffic jams I have to sit in due to texting drivers crashing a few times a month? or the higher premiums for insurance we all have to pay for the smashed cars, ambulance trips, fire trucks, police calls, lawyers fees etc etc

I'm sure you've got some great ideas to fix the problem, how about you share them with us?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Rather than complain how about offering a solution for all the traffic jams I have to sit in due to texting drivers crashing a few times a month? or the higher premiums for insurance we all have to pay for the smashed cars, ambulance trips, fire trucks, police calls, lawyers fees etc etc

I'm sure you've got some great ideas to fix the problem, how about you share them with us?
Happily!

There are several things that must happen to combat all of the accidents that happen around the world, specifically here in the US. Fines clearly hasn't worked.

10 years ago, a wise man asked me a question that changed my life. With all the traffic laws we have here in the US, why do we continue to have so many car accidents? What's the solution? More laws? More fines? Conventional thinking would say these are solutions. Well, it hasn't worked!! There is solid irrefutable evidence it hasn't worked. Then we should next consider the possibility maybe the laws are causing the problem!

Notice how so many people get into their cars, knowing hundreds of thousands of people, maybe even more, die or are severely injured yet most of us drive unaware of who or what is around us at a moments notice? We hop into our cars, pull up to a stop sign casually without looking both ways cautiously because we are led to believe the drivers coming in either direction will be doing the speed limit. Guess what, that has failed millions of times, and will continue even though speeding tickets are expensive.

According to your stance, the solution is one-sided. Should we raise the fines more? If so, by how much? Should we make them $3000? How about $10,000? When will the fines start actually working? And should we keep giving that money to the state to do as they wish? You're in California. How's that policy working out for your state? The money is spent well. My parents live there, so I know all about it. LOL!!!!

These speed limits have made us so careless when we drive, so many people have no idea who is coming behind them, how fast, fail to stop at stop signs, etc. I see so many people pull up to traffic lights, wait until it turns green, and simply start driving through the intersection without any concern of someone running a red light. If people actually looked both ways before passing through an intersection, we would have FAR less accidents from people who run red lights.

So, without going further into this because I have limited time, the solution isn't fines that go into the hands of the state. The solution should be how to get people to take driving more seriously. If someone is driving distracted, all the rest of us should be so into our driving that we see the person and drive defensively. Whenever I see a distracted driver, I get away from them immediately. As I pass by them, I honk.

I would like to see the distracted drivers be open to civil lawsuits from their victims and held personally financially responsible, not the insurance companies. In fact, they should be so open to lawsuits that it scares the rest of us to actually take driving seriously. I would also like to see harsher criminal penalties for people who cause accidents due to distracted driving. As the way the laws stand, a criminal receives a harsher sentence if they kill someone with a knife vs a gun. Should not be the case.

Driving is no joke! Millions of lives are at risk every day! We have national debates whenever there is a school shooting yet not a peep when there is a death from a car accident. Do you realize how many people will die from car accidents on their way home today throughout the US? Most won't even make the nightly news.

Now, would you like to hear about my solution to the concussion/illegal hits in the NFL? I can solve that problem today and for free!! How about we talk about the idiotic laws for child seats and how they have helped with perpetuate this "lack of awareness while driving" phenomenon I just spoke about. How about how speed limits are a joke as well?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6L6
Great recovery!

Bill
I'm for it. But are all texts in CA banned - what about hands free voice to text? And I'm guessing drivers get an automatic pass if there's a passenger in the car who supposedly sent out the text?

I felt bad for Cuda, until I saw he's looking for 991's. But good for you, good luck.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Happily!

There are several things that must happen to combat all of the accidents that happen around the world, specifically here in the US. Fines clearly hasn't worked.

10 years ago, a wise man asked me a question that changed my life. With all the traffic laws we have here in the US, why do we continue to have so many car accidents? What's the solution? More laws? More fines? Conventional thinking would say these are solutions. Well, it hasn't worked!! There is solid irrefutable evidence it hasn't worked. Then we should next consider the possibility maybe the laws are causing the problem!

Notice how so many people get into their cars, knowing hundreds of thousands of people, maybe even more, die or are severely injured yet most of us drive unaware of who or what is around us at a moments notice? We hop into our cars, pull up to a stop sign casually without looking both ways cautiously because we are led to believe the drivers coming in either direction will be doing the speed limit. Guess what, that has failed millions of times, and will continue even though speeding tickets are expensive.

According to your stance, the solution is one-sided. Should we raise the fines more? If so, by how much? Should we make them $3000? How about $10,000? When will the fines start actually working? And should we keep giving that money to the state to do as they wish? You're in California. How's that policy working out for your state? The money is spent well. My parents live there, so I know all about it. LOL!!!!

These speed limits have made us so careless when we drive, so many people have no idea who is coming behind them, how fast, fail to stop at stop signs, etc. I see so many people pull up to traffic lights, wait until it turns green, and simply start driving through the intersection without any concern of someone running a red light. If people actually looked both ways before passing through an intersection, we would have FAR less accidents from people who run red lights.

So, without going further into this because I have limited time, the solution isn't fines that go into the hands of the state. The solution should be how to get people to take driving more seriously. If someone is driving distracted, all the rest of us should be so into our driving that we see the person and drive defensively. Whenever I see a distracted driver, I get away from them immediately. As I pass by them, I honk.

I would like to see the distracted drivers be open to civil lawsuits from their victims and held personally financially responsible, not the insurance companies. In fact, they should be so open to lawsuits that it scares the rest of us to actually take driving seriously. I would also like to see harsher criminal penalties for people who cause accidents due to distracted driving. As the way the laws stand, a criminal receives a harsher sentence if they kill someone with a knife vs a gun. Should not be the case.

Driving is no joke! Millions of lives are at risk every day! We have national debates whenever there is a school shooting yet not a peep when there is a death from a car accident. Do you realize how many people will die from car accidents on their way home today throughout the US? Most won't even make the nightly news.

Now, would you like to hear about my solution to the concussion/illegal hits in the NFL? I can solve that problem today and for free!! How about we talk about the idiotic laws for child seats and how they have helped with perpetuate this "lack of awareness while driving" phenomenon I just spoke about. How about how speed limits are a joke as well?
So your answer to texting and driving is suing each other? the rest is a diatribe of personal gripes which wanders as much as a drink driver on NYE.... I knew I should not have bitten
Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Remove the driver airbag, and replace it with an M18-A1 (Claymore anti-personnel mine). Will work wonders for driver attention and care.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Cuda...what did you decide to do with the car?

Sorry you missed out on the 991.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Selling it to Oleg. Thanks for the referral!

Yeah, so pissed about the 991 and jerk seller.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Oleg at Norspec is a good people....spread the word. Hate to see that car get parted though but at lease you got a premium on flipping the car instead of turning over to insurance.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:11 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
ummm.. don't most cars made in the last 20 or more years have a clock in them..somewhere?

sorry to hear about the jerk and the 991. happy hunting

Quick Reply: RIP My 996