996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

O.K. now, does everybody agree that C4S is the sexiest 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there is whatever is on that one page I linked above, not sure if I have other interior pics laying around or not, whatcha lookin' for and I can always go snap a photo or two...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:53 AM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
I guess you've never gone up against Palting or I at the track in our C4S's... we might just show you a thing or two or three..
I hope you're talking about a real track ... not cones in a pklot... I would caution you about assuming. FYI...I've been driving various track on and off since in my 20's, including stock cars, funny cars and demolition derby. I am comfortable on a track, at high speeds and know my stock C2 can do what I need it to when and where due to my abilities

PS... oh, does the GT2 OR GT3 come in AWD... humm I wonder why they don't, can you help me.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Because most AWD systems add too much of a weight penalty to overcome their performance improvements in the hands of most drivers. Then again AWD is outlawed in some racing series because it upset the balance of those series when they started beating all the 2WD cars. This subject has been discussed to death in other threads so I won't re-hash it here. What I took offense to was your suggestion that your C2 is in some way inherently superior on the track the C4S and it isn't. Why does the turbo come in AWD? I'm not denegrating your track skills, and yes I'm talking about a track not a parking lot where neither the C2 or C4S will do well compared to say a Boxster or a 914. I do draw issue with your claim that sports cars don't have AWD or that AWD is somehow inherently inferior. While I understand your weight assertion the C4S is 276 pounds heavier according to the Porsche website, I don't understand the bit about the back seat being smaller. The back seat room looks the same to me in C2's and C4S's despite the C4S having a wider rear end and the potential for more rear seat room side to side. The C4S also carries the turbo suspension, wheels and tires, and brakes which improve handling over the C2. The question always comes down to can the C4S driver with a 276 pound handicap use the AWD's physics capabilities and the additional performance tools like the suspension and brakes to outperform a C2 around the track.

But that isn't what this thread is about (see other threads for that) this is about the C4S being the sexiest 996! Which it is.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I want to make it very clear that I started the topic on which car is the best looking stock 996, and ofcourse not the best performer dhuh!. If money is not an issue I would grab the GT2 and never look back.
Funny thing is that I was a wingman till I saw the C4S, infact I would have never bought a non-turbo 993. Something about this C4S, to me makes it the best looking of the bunch.
The 4WD is actually an asset for me, I can say mine is a sports car 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week, every single day of it's existance. I don't have to hide in the garage when its slippery out there, like just another corvette
Old 01-22-2004, 01:23 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

i love my c4s--to me it has the sleekest design of any porsche with a rear end like sophia loren!

i must say however that i do covet a turbo as a second car! the power outweighs the reduced sleekness of design maybe someday
Old 01-22-2004, 03:00 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Amen brother! My car may weigh an extra couple hundred pounds, but it can tear past everything on the road in all conditions!

Originally posted by jeeva
I want to make it very clear that I started the topic on which car is the best looking stock 996, and ofcourse not the best performer dhuh!. If money is not an issue I would grab the GT2 and never look back.
Funny thing is that I was a wingman till I saw the C4S, infact I would have never bought a non-turbo 993. Something about this C4S, to me makes it the best looking of the bunch.
The 4WD is actually an asset for me, I can say mine is a sports car 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week, every single day of it's existance. I don't have to hide in the garage when its slippery out there, like just another corvette
Old 01-22-2004, 03:09 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
What I took offense to was your suggestion that your C2 is in some way inherently superior on the track the C4S and it isn't. Why does the turbo come in AWD?
First, you shouldn't take offense to my opinion and our autos are not competing. Second, there are buyers out there that will spend the added money just because... How many people own turbo's that don't have driving skills to match, nor touch the power of their turbo... And, third, Porsche is fast becoming a mkting company to match it's technology, and has to create evolving product. C4 & AWD proof of the pudding will be if it stays in the product line and dominates the track in the future.

I do draw issue with your claim that sports cars don't have AWD or that AWD is somehow inherently inferior. While I understand your weight assertion the C4S is 276 pounds heavier according to the Porsche website, I don't understand the bit about the back seat being smaller. The back seat room looks the same to me in C2's and C4S's despite the C4S having a wider rear end and the potential for more rear seat room side to side. The C4S also carries the turbo suspension, wheels and tires, and brakes which improve handling over the C2. The question always comes down to can the C4S driver with a 276 pound handicap use the AWD's physics capabilities and the additional performance tools like the suspension and brakes to outperform a C2 around the track.
IMO, a "sports car" has certain "basic handling" characteristics, power and drive train. I never said any other PCar was inherently inferior. I would say that many drivers have inferior driving skills and that might be influenced by AWD and computerized suspensions. IMO, AWD and computerized suspension controls, etc., are not required for outstanding handling characteristics, and they offer more issues to contend with...

I am a driving purist...driving focus, skills, my 18" tires, stock brakes and suspension on my C2 gets the job done for me. A C4 isn't going to stop any faster that my C2. I don't feel the slight added weight of a C4 means anything to anybody other then in a pure track car. As for the seat configuration, it's not a performance issue and the C4's is slightly smaller as a result of the rear end configuration of the C4. That was this daily drivers child & travel issue only.

PS... I would find value in a supercharging my C2 over a turbo any day. I am waiting for test results though. and all Porsche's are sexy!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

with the yearly rainfall of southern calif awd is far less important than for us in wetter and colder locations--awd porsches were designed for the cold and wet of germany--analogous to the weather in the northeast and midwest not the land of fruits and nuts
Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: O.K. now, does everybody agree that C4S is the sexiest 996

Originally posted by jeeva
For looks how many agree that C4S is the best looking 996. The GT2 and Turbo are great looking but the rear spoiler and the side scoops ruin the looks. For me the the ranking in good looks is
1)C4S
2)GT2
3)turbo
4)GT3
5)C2
I am not a fan of cabs, so they are not in the list. I am curious what some of you guys think.
Same as your list. Based just on looks alone:

1)C4S
2)GT2
3)TTurbo
4)GT3

Based on my engine/tranny preferences:
1)GT3
2)TTurbo
3)GT2
4)C4S

If we could only get a C4S with the internals of a GT3.... just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming dreaming dreaming...
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best looking 996? GT3RS by far IMHO.
Not to mention THE best 996.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Flying Finn
Best looking 996? GT3RS by far IMHO.
Not to mention IMO it is THE best 996.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:27 PM
donnyj
Instructor

I'm sure alot of C2 drivers hit the bends wrongly miscalculate get some oversteer reverse lock JUST keep the car under control ...at the same time having a whoosh of adrenalin that hits the pit of there stomach like that letter that said you were redundant or that letter wanting more maintanence.

They then go around telling everyone what a cool drivers car it is.

It's a joke

DonnyJ
Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 PM
donnyj
Instructor

A C2 car is just as much fun as a C4 car but in different ways.

DonnyJ
Old 01-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Now that's funny...

Ok to continue the sexy thread, which supermodel is the C4S most like and why?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

hi dpblessing ,

Is that grey leather or natural grey leather interior?

TIA,
Dek

Quick Reply: O.K. now, does everybody agree that C4S is the sexiest 996