Sponsored by:

Is there an optimal oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:47 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
But he doesn't recommend annual oil change - I think he advocates at least every 6 months.
Yes he does. But that is too much work for me :-) My oil change takes more than a week. I drain the oil, replace the drain plug,
then spend the next few days slowly dissecting and examining the oil filter. A week or two later I open the drain plug and drain out another
pint or so of oil. I suspect that the oil from the second drain comes from inside the intermediate shaft but who knows. It seems strange
that in our engines some of the oil takes so long to coming out of their hiding place.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually wait about 1-2 hours for the draining. I have waited over night once, but I think I only got another 4-8 ounces.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Did you have a deep sump installed?
No, I did not....but when they installed the 997S 3.8 in in my 996, I made sure it had the deep sump plus I have Turbo heat radiators plus a center radiator. I don't want to ever see this failure again. :-)

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mayday1
Yes he does. But that is too much work for me :-) My oil change takes more than a week. I drain the oil, replace the drain plug,
then spend the next few days slowly dissecting and examining the oil filter. A week or two later I open the drain plug and drain out another
pint or so of oil. I suspect that the oil from the second drain comes from inside the intermediate shaft but who knows. It seems strange
that in our engines some of the oil takes so long to coming out of their hiding place.
Hi. Long time lurker here, but newbie to the Porsche world. Curious... why do you take so long to change your oil? Called the dealership and they said it can be done the same day. Is there something about letting it sit that's important? I see you say something about the shaft, but wouldn't that oil be trapped?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:34 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

PEOCD = Porsche Enthusiast Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I do my oil change in minutes, not days, Porsche or otherwise.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

No offense but this is highly irrational. There's no reason a routine oil change should take more than an hour. If any car required being out of commission for weeks for routine maintenance, nobody would buy it.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:13 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
No offense but this is highly irrational. There's no reason a routine oil change should take more than an hour. If any car required being out of commission for weeks for routine maintenance, nobody would buy it.
I feel the same way about sending in oil for UOAs. I know I should just bury my head in the sand and assume my car works perfectly as long as I treat it right. But....I get some enjoyment out of the obsessing.

Last edited by USNA1970; 08-15-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
If I were more rational I'd be driving a camry and go to jiffy lub once a year instead :-) But I think the M96 engine brings out my OCD. Until this car I've never used a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter, examine the old filter
for glitter/plastic bits, nor have an engine replacement at 45k miles.

I park my car for a couple of months in the winter anyways, so taking a week or two months to do an oil change doesn't bother me. I quite enjoy using the down time to do other maintenance. It is a hobby after all.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

If I were more rational I'd be driving a camry and go to jiffy lub once a year instead :-) But I think the M96 engine brings out my OCD. Until this car I've never used a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter, examine the old filter
for glitter/plastic bits, nor have an engine replacement at 45k miles.

I park my car for a couple of months in the winter anyways, so taking a week or two months to do an oil change doesn't bother me. I quite enjoy using the down time to do other maintenance. It is a hobby after all.
Its nice to see someone's OCD worse than mine....thank you for making me feel normal.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Chodey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run at the top mark. No smoke, no oil consumption. Did I mention I track this car?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I am absorbing all of these perspectives due to my keen interest in this space. On my first track day last year my car gave a puff of smoke on a couple of shifts coming out of a high G turn. Folks checked it out and said nothing to worry about, likely AOS once they checked the oil level which was full. The suggestion was run it at mid level. So before the next track day I lowered the oil level to mid. In my second session, I blew my engine due to a rod bearing failure....confirmed as oil starvation. Now I know that doesn't happen in one track day and was likely the issue for years but it was an eerie coincidence.
Some folks experience oil pressure drops in long, sweeping right-handed turns. Did you notice that at all before your engine blew?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:06 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

yes...and the engine did go in a long right sweeper as well. Learned my lesson for sure. I have posted before but thought you guys may want to see the crankshaft.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:42 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

03 C2 here, bought at 71k now at 93k. Consumption and smoke have gone down for me since doing the half-full thing. My perception of the 996 has improved over the past few years, oddly enough. Not a cheap car to drive but fun & reliable - 2 of 3!

Quick Reply: Is there an optimal oil level?