Sponsored by:

Is there an optimal oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:05 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is there an optimal oil level?

I was reading through an engine rebuild manual for how to properly maintain the engine. With respect to oil level, it was very clear that oil should be checked in the morning and should be around the middle mark. It said that if it is any higher then it is possible the oil will be over filled when engine is at operating temp. In addition, oil should not be added until the level comes down to the lower mark. Lastly, running oil near the top mark only increases the chances of consuming oil faster than if the oil was closer to the middle area.

My only question is that I like to run the oil near the top, but not over. My thinking is that the IMSB gets to sit in more oil when the car is not running. Please comment on whether this really matters or is it just fine to be anywhere as long as it is between the min and max marks?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by USNA1970
I was reading through an engine rebuild manual for how to properly maintain the engine. With respect to oil level, it was very clear that oil should be checked in the morning and should be around the middle mark. It said that if it is any higher then it is possible the oil will be over filled when engine is at operating temp. In addition, oil should not be added until the level comes down to the lower mark. Lastly, running oil near the top mark only increases the chances of consuming oil faster than if the oil was closer to the middle area.

My only question is that I like to run the oil near the top, but not over. My thinking is that the IMSB gets to sit in more oil when the car is not running. Please comment on whether this really matters or is it just fine to be anywhere as long as it is between the min and max marks?
Rebuild manual for a Porsche flat 6?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

For me, check stone cold in the morning (and no...not every morning). I keep my level to the top mark on the dipstick. More volume is better in my opinion. 142K miles currently. I manually check it about once a week, but during daily operation, I just wait for the oil level to show on the cluster making sure there is oil, then start and I'm off. I would not over-think this too much.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Rebuild manual for a Porsche flat 6?
It was the operators manual for an RND rebuilt engine.

Last edited by USNA1970; 08-14-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The optimum oil level has proven to be in the middle of the indicator. We try to keep our engines between the arrows of the electronic indicator, and the same on the cars with a dipstick. Running near the top, or at the top has proven to adversely impact the health of the AOS, and increases oil consumption. We are seeing cars with secondary air faults from high oil levels as well, its 993 all over again.

Running n the center of the indicator ensures that you aren’t running too low, or too high, and you’ll never have to worry about over- filling if this is done. Only add oil when the indicator is at the very bottom, (after the car has sat overnight on a level surface!) then add 1/2 of 1 Qt and you’ll be right back to the center again.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

I also noticed that these cars don't like to be parked on a sideways tilt. Usually results in some smoking at startup and one time my car actually through a P1325. The fault went away on its own and I really can't confirm that the fault was a result of a sideways tilted parking event. Just happened to be at the same time. Possible that having oil at mid level or just above the add mark would also be helpful when you can't avoid parking at a slight sideways tilt.

Last edited by USNA1970; 08-14-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Middle mark is maybe a quart low? Not sure getting to op temp would increase volume that much to show an overfill. Anyway, I run at full (measured cold as documented) in hot Texas weather mostly between 3K and 4K and I've not experienced any oil consumption. I change oil every 6 months (about 3,000 miles) and have never had to top off. 2004 40AE with IMS Solution.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:32 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

I need to add a quart every 1400 miles. I have been running my oil very close to the top. I may try running it a little lower and see if my consumption changes at all. Would be an interesting experiment.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Middle mark is maybe a quart low? Not sure getting to op temp would increase volume that much to show an overfill. Anyway, I run at full (measured cold as documented) in hot Texas weather mostly between 3K and 4K and I've not experienced any oil consumption. I change oil every 6 months (about 3,000 miles) and have never had to top off. 2004 40AE with IMS Solution.
No! The engine is not Low on oil until the indicator is all the way at the bottom, and flashing! The entire range of the indicator is the safe operating range.

Yes, if you believe that putting the oil level at tip top is best, you can expect short drives and parking unlevel will create more start up smoke. We’ve recently had to shoot an in-depth video about this for our engine purchasers. It’s a constant fight to make them understand that to us, the middle of the indicator is “full”. The only time we use the top of the indicator is when doing an oil consumption study.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:39 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

No! The engine is not Low on oil until the indicator is all the way at the bottom, and flashing! The entire range of the indicator is the safe operating range.

Yes, if you believe that putting the oil level at tip top is best, you can expect short drives and parking unlevel will create more start up smoke. We’ve recently had to shoot an in-depth video about this for our engine purchasers. It’s a constant fight to make them understand that to us, the middle of the indicator is “full”. The only time we use the top of the indicator is when doing an oil consumption study.
Thanks. I was looking for a reason to stop obsessing about always running my oil as close to the top as possible. This is very helpful!
Old 08-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Gary Segler
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we say "indicator", do we mean the dip stick or the dashboard?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Well, stone cold in the morning is probably relative to where you live. Here, most mornings are high 80's to 90, so I figure the engine is already half way to operating temperature. So the oil temperature is going to also be half way to operating temperature. The warm oil drains back into the sump overnight, I check it on the dipstick, and then during my daily runs, the oil level gauge consistently shows one to two bars below the max line. So I'm not overfilling and have no smoke or AOS problems, and my TB is clean as a whistle. Just my method of operating the car, which given my mileage, seems to be right enough. Don't get me started on the Mini Cooper...check oil at least once a week and always keep it on the full line because it eats oil and only holds a little over 4 quarts, so any drop in level is significant.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gary Segler
The two should run the same, or very close to the same. Any notable deviations between the two can indicate that the electronic unit is malfunctioning.
We now find it necessry to replace the electronic senders in the engines when we carry out reconstruction. A few years ago we had several of these fail, and they always show abnormally low oil readings when that happened. One owner over filled the engine by over a quart due to this. This resulted in a failed (new) AOS and other damage.

@USNA1970,
You should note the differences of the oil level being ran at the center of the indicator within a couple thousand miles. In many instances running with the lesser level will decrease oil consumption by 50%.

Remember, anything that makes the engine “happier” is what needs to be done. It doesn’t matter what the owner’s manual said, all of that was written before these cars were utilized in practical application. Keep it happy.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Segler
Dip sticks don't flash.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Dip sticks don't flash.
But they can get crushed by connecting rods.....

Quick Reply: Is there an optimal oil level?