996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Look for an early car with build date be"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018 | 12:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
99's are awesome because I can buy parts for the front half dirt cheap (Boxster) and short blocks for under $6k shipped. They are light, simple to work on, and reliable. Not to mention they are quicker on the track than an equivalent built '03. That being said, all 911's are a frickin blast if you are a 911 guy.
I can’t believe Porsche would make a slower 911 four years later?
Old 08-14-2018 | 01:03 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I can’t believe Porsche would make a slower 911 four years later?
It's not slower, it's just not as nimble. And the added low end torque doesn't give the '03 any advantage because you are rarely below 3500 RPM on the track. Both are fun cars though.
Old 08-14-2018 | 01:12 AM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Is this why that 99 w/ 28k miles just sold for $36k on bring-a-sled?
Old 08-14-2018 | 06:07 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that the later cars have slightly larger engines, making slightly more HP/TQ..but also carry more weight. I'm a little biased b/c my 3/98 1999 Carrera 2 is a featherweight with it's only option being an LSD.. the easiest way to go faster is to weigh less
Old 08-14-2018 | 09:30 AM
relinuca
Pro

Default My 2cents

Most internet postings are, well, "opinions"! I say look at the data.

The famous Porsche/IMSB class action suit contained much useful data. It established beyond a doubt that early 996s, as equipped with dual row IMSBs, had a lower IMSB failure rate than the later single row IMSBs. Everything else said is pretty much conjecture that's not based on data.

My 2cents.

Relinuca
Porsches Forever
Old 08-14-2018 | 09:59 AM
Quaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by relinuca
Most internet postings are, well, "opinions"! I say look at the data.

The famous Porsche/IMSB class action suit contained much useful data. It established beyond a doubt that early 996s, as equipped with dual row IMSBs, had a lower IMSB failure rate than the later single row IMSBs. Everything else said is pretty much conjecture that's not based on data.

My 2cents.

Relinuca
Porsches Forever
To add to this there were additional extended warranties on certain Cayman 3.4s and 996 3.6s where the engines were replaced do to bore scoring and d-chunking at low mileage. This problem is more related to an oiling problem which for some reason the early 996 3.4s and 986 3.2s don't seem to suffer as badly. From what I understand all Cayman 3.4s and 996 3.6s have the scoring problem, but to what degree is based on climate conditions and driving habits. Some engine will make it into the 100K miles, but at some point compression will start to be lost in those cylinders due to the scoring. It was one of the reasons I stayed away from early Caymans.

That being said I think a good PPI will flush out any issues with these cars if you are looking to buy one. Just have a compression test done on them and potentially have I think cylinder number 6 bore scoped. The majority of cars will probably make it to 150K with no significant problems. After that, like any old car all bets are off.
Old 08-14-2018 | 12:16 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Best best one to buy is any 996 with a blown motor...Then you can fix or replace it knowing exactly what you have!
Old 08-14-2018 | 01:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We love the 99’s.... l swear Jake can be blindflded and identify a 1999 996 accurately. l keep telling him that he needs to shoot some videos about these things, but he says that he doesn’t want to “end up like all those other clowns on Youtube”.

@808bill
We agree, an increasing number of our purchasers are buying broken cars, and shipping them here to be reconstructed. Sometimes they don’t even see the car before it lands on the doorstep here. We’ve become very good at resurrecting these 996s.
Old 08-14-2018 | 02:54 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
Internet mythology , complete bollocks
I don't know about the fire theory/myth, but FSI has done enough work on these cars to have plenty of empirical data. That's no myth...If they're saying the '99's are "the best" I have no reason to doubt it. Does the fact that I own a '99 have anything to do with my opinion? Nah, it's got a 2000 engine in it (but it did have the dual row IMSB - it's got "The Solution" now).
Old 08-14-2018 | 03:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dporto
I don't know about the fire theory/myth, but FSI has done enough work on these cars to have plenty of empirical data. That's no myth...If they're saying the '99's are "the best" I have no reason to doubt it. Does the fact that I own a '99 have anything to do with my opinion? Nah, it's got a 2000 engine in it (but it did have the dual row IMSB - it's got "The Solution" now).
Our feelings don’t come from reading things, or listening to reviews. It comes from driving over 100 of these cars per year for more than a decade. The direct experience and feedback from the vehicle is what we base all of our over views on. Its not just from a “problem” perspective. The way the cars drive is also notable, as well as fit and finish, especially on the oldest of vehicles. 4 spoke steering wheels, small tailpipes, and early rims are well respected here.

This is opinion... That’s all.
Old 08-14-2018 | 03:04 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
I believe all of the 99's were before the fire. I think the problem was with the heads. The theory being that heads that had been discarded for quality issues previously were used because the fire prevented them from getting new ones. This is pure speculation, but there is a higher rate of cracked heads in MY2000 cars. Mine has a build date of Jan 2000, so I'm hoping mine is not one of the problematic ones. Also, the 99 had a double-row IMS bearing which is believed to be stronger. Many 2000's and some 2001's also have the double-row bearing.
The fire at the Stuttgart plant is true.I was told about this at Porsche training from a Porsche instructor. The biggest issue at the time was that the equipment to cast the engines were moved to another facility and re-setup. There were some quality issues with core shifting that resulted in production getting behind demand. It is known that to keep up with production Porsche re-sleeved some Boxster engine cases on some or all cylinders. "Another" quality issue resulted from the machining of the re[sleeve in that the radius of the corner for the retaining hat for the sleeve was machined incorrectly and caused a stress crack that resulted in the sleeves not being retained and "slipping" down the cylinder and hit the crank. All these engines failed early under 30k and have all been replaced by Porsche now. No 911 engines were involved in the "re-sleeving", but may have had slight core shift that could be a reason for the ovaling we always see in engines with 100k.Not sure on the exact date, but it would probably be difficult to determine which engines were the "before" the move or "after" the move because engine serial numbers are not "dated".
Old 08-14-2018 | 03:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

All these engines failed early under 30k and have all been replaced by Porsche now.
We just had one 2 weeks ago. 24K miles.
Not “all” have failed, those that were not driven enough when they were under warranty were never given a chance to fail. This is why we see these “stragglers” come in a dozen or so times per year. They are almost always well under 35K miles when they do show up.

The December 2008 issue of Panorama (that first featured our early work with these engines) had a great write up by the late Jim Pasha about the fire and the variables that it created for the 1999 model year cars. Jim visited the factory archives and gathered his information directly. He had just finished his article on this topic when he passed away.

Old 08-14-2018 | 03:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

We just had one 2 weeks ago. 24K miles.
Not “all” have failed, those that were not driven enough when they were under warranty were never given a chance to fail. This is why we see these “stragglers” come in a dozen or so times per year. They are almost always well under 35K miles when they do show up.

The December 2008 issue of Panorama (that first featured our early work with these engines) had a great write up by the late Jim Pasha about the fire and the variables that it created for the 1999 model year cars. Jim visited the factory archives and gathered his information directly. He had just finished his article on this topic when he passed away.

Yea, well i knew they "all" hadn't failed , if they have sat in a garage undriven for 20 years..lol I just didn't want to scare anyone looking at a cream puff.

I had a customer come in to the dealership (before i retired) for a post-purchase inspection of his cream puff low mileage Boxster he was so proud of and excited about.. The car was literally perfect and i didn't have the heart to kill his dreams by telling him about the potential of this failure (it should have been recalled). It failed soon after.
Old 08-14-2018 | 04:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Yep.. The cream puff with no miles is the car to be scared away from. It only makes sense to you and l based on what we’ve seen.
Old 08-14-2018 | 08:34 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

This is great amo for lowballing "cream puffs", lol! We can scare em into selling...

Quick Reply: "Look for an early car with build date be"