808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Not buying it.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This guy's an idiot. There are SO MANY more choices on "what you can buy" right now yet a Ferrari F50 or Enzo still costs 4M. Interest rates are low, very very low, but the vast majority of people purchasing classic cars (30+ years old) are not getting loans to buy them. Few will qualify for a loan on a vehicle that is 30+ years old selling for 1000% more than book value. Good luck convincing an underwriting computer "it's worth it."
Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
This guy's an idiot. There are SO MANY more choices on "what you can buy" right now yet a Ferrari F50 or Enzo still costs 4M. Interest rates are low, very very low, but the vast majority of people purchasing classic cars (30+ years old) are not getting loans to buy them. Few will qualify for a loan on a vehicle that is 30+ years old selling for 1000% more than book value. Good luck convincing an underwriting computer "it's worth it."
This guy’s contention isn’t that people are getting loans for these cars. He’s from the UK and part of his argument is interest rates are low on investments and people can avoid capital gains taxes when making money by investing in cars.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I think it’s entirely possible that prices will go down or stay flat or go up.

They could go down for any number of reasons, including the ones listed in the video. And also because when a market is at the top, with 400% increases over the years, they are just RIPE for a correction.

They could continue to go up as well, since just about Everything has gone up over the years. It’s not like new cars are getting cheaper, and even the newest technology (electrics) are expensive.

In general, I’ve never been a big fan of buying cars as an investment. The only cars really worthy of investments are few and far between and probably 1% of what Rennlisters should be concerned with.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Good one - " I think it’s entirely possible that prices will go down or stay flat or go up. "
Can one say that with any certainty?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

I agree with him but for a different reason which is one of the reasons I am thinking of selling my older cars. So why do I agree? I know so many guys in their 50s, 60s and 70s with multicar collections (some even with a couple of dozen 911s). These guys are the ones that have been hoarding the cars of their childhood and now finally in the late stages of their careers having made tons of money are getting the cars they have always wanted throughout their life. I feel pretty sure about this since I have followed that path as well. Now when I look at my 16 year old son, other than loving to drive different manual transmission cars, he has no interest in any of my older cars. He is all about the hyper exotic cars of today and that is all he talks about and cares about. To make matters worse, all of his friends have no interest in cars and if they do its about screen size and the technology and frankly don't even have a desire to drive. The uber app is good enough for them. So my question is what happens when us old guys die, There will be a flood of cars that the next generation of will not car about on the market. Don't get me wrong, people will buy them, there just wont be as many....just like the 1930s cars today...don't really know them and I love to look at them, but would never buy one unless it was dirt cheap and why is that? These cars existed before I was born.

Secondly, I look at my kids high school and other than my son, there is maybe a handful of kids that even know how to drive a manual. The others won't have a clue. How many times do you hear about a thief stealing a car and not getting far because it was a manual.

Thirdly, while I love the nostalgic feeling my older cars (60s-80s) give me, I find is that I don't drive these cars because the new ones are really so much better...The new sports cars handling is out of this world compared to the old stuff...then add to it all of the modern communications technologies...its hard for me not to drive the newer super cars (991 is a super car)

This is why I have already sold one car (my 87 Targa), and as hard as it is for me to think about, I will likely sell my 912, 928 and even my 993 in the coming year. I am totally in love with my 993 but I have only driven it three times in the past year. Twice for a car show and once for a video shoot....and that is not good for the car.

Anyway, I am curious what your thoughts are...
Old 08-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I agree that many young Americans, under about 30, have little interest in cars. I had to practically force my two sons to get their drivers licenses. One was 18 and the other was 21 before they got them. They only got them out of necessity. They are not unusual, based on what I have seen.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I agree with him but for a different reason which is one of the reasons I am thinking of selling my older cars. So why do I agree? I know so many guys in their 50s, 60s and 70s with multicar collections (some even with a couple of dozen 911s). These guys are the ones that have been hoarding the cars of their childhood and now finally in the late stages of their careers having made tons of money are getting the cars they have always wanted throughout their life. I feel pretty sure about this since I have followed that path as well. Now when I look at my 16 year old son, other than loving to drive different manual transmission cars, he has no interest in any of my older cars. He is all about the hyper exotic cars of today and that is all he talks about and cares about. To make matters worse, all of his friends have no interest in cars and if they do its about screen size and the technology and frankly don't even have a desire to drive. The uber app is good enough for them. So my question is what happens when us old guys die, There will be a flood of cars that the next generation of will not car about on the market. Don't get me wrong, people will buy them, there just wont be as many....just like the 1930s cars today...don't really know them and I love to look at them, but would never buy one unless it was dirt cheap and why is that? These cars existed before I was born.

Secondly, I look at my kids high school and other than my son, there is maybe a handful of kids that even know how to drive a manual. The others won't have a clue. How many times do you hear about a thief stealing a car and not getting far because it was a manual.

Thirdly, while I love the nostalgic feeling my older cars (60s-80s) give me, I find is that I don't drive these cars because the new ones are really so much better...The new sports cars handling is out of this world compared to the old stuff...then add to it all of the modern communications technologies...its hard for me not to drive the newer super cars (991 is a super car)

This is why I have already sold one car (my 87 Targa), and as hard as it is for me to think about, I will likely sell my 912, 928 and even my 993 in the coming year. I am totally in love with my 993 but I have only driven it three times in the past year. Twice for a car show and once for a video shoot....and that is not good for the car.

Anyway, I am curious what your thoughts are...
You make some really good points; its the same predicament that Harley-Davidson is in, the generation who bought them grew up watching old Brando movies where they were cool and you could be a rebel riding one. Now kids see old wrinkly guys riding past them making a racket and find nothing cool about that whatsoever. Harley is seeing its sales shrink year over year as old people die out.

A good analogy might be when cars started replacing horses; horses and horse riding didn't go away it just shrank to a niche market for recreation. And so it will go with gasoline/petrol powered cars and big chrome covered harley-davidson's. Self driving electric cars will replace them for daily transport; most likely community cars shared via smartapps and called on demand.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

This guy’s contention isn’t that people are getting loans for these cars. He’s from the UK and part of his argument is interest rates are low on investments and people can avoid capital gains taxes when making money by investing in cars.
In the USA if you sell a vehicle for more than you paid for it capital gains tax is due. Might be different in the UK.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Good one - " I think it’s entirely possible that prices will go down or stay flat or go up. "
Can one say that with any certainty?
Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

lowpue: I think you are spot on.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread is really depressing.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

In for responses and opinions.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:20 PM
searching4996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not depressed about this, more fun cars to drive that are relatively affordable. I've never bought a car to make money, only hopefully to lose less than is typical depreciation on an uninteresting car. In some ways I think the manual transmission, simple cars will be more interesting as we approach an age when everything's autonomous.

Quick Reply: 911 pricing vlog