Sponsored by:

PPI before selling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPI before selling?

I'm considering having RAC do a PPI done on my 99 before putting it on the market. Seems like that will eliminate some of the hassle in the selling process. Have any of you done it this way?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not sure that I would spend the money on it to be honest. Not every buyer is going to want a PPI, and I would imagine some will be suspect of a PPI that you had done yourself. I'm not an expert, just my humble opinion.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

If it were me, I would not bother, unless your goal is to find anything wrong and fix it before the sale. If I were buying your car and you provided me a PPI, I would still request to get my own, and I think most people who would want a PPI would likely request their own.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I bought my former 996TT from a guy who did a PPI that morning at the local Porsche Dealer. It was nice to see and I made him an offer on the spot, which he took. It was also nice to have when I sold it 2.5 months later for a $6700 Profit!

But, yes some people will be "suspect" of it being done by you and think you may have paid extra to leave a few important thinks off the list. I get paid to be "suspect" of people and things, so that's how I usually am.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

It serves a couple of purposes - I'd know if there was anything wrong before I sold it and it would cover me if a buyer decided not to get a PPI. I would have it done RAC here in Dallas and they won't pull any punches.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
It serves a couple of purposes - I'd know if there was anything wrong before I sold it and it would cover me if a buyer decided not to get a PPI. I would have it done RAC here in Dallas and they won't pull any punches.
I agree. I place that big wouldn't risk their Rep for a few bucks I'm sure.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I'm not sure that I would spend the money on it to be honest. Not every buyer is going to want a PPI, and I would imagine some will be suspect of a PPI that you had done yourself. I'm not an expert, just my humble opinion.
Agree, far too many guys treat these used 996's for 25k like they are buying a new Lambo! They won't believe your PPI regardless so there is no point.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Agree, far too many guys treat these used 996's for 25k like they are buying a new Lambo! They won't believe your PPI regardless so there is no point.
You're right about the way some see the 996! The Lamdo guy won't buy my car anyway. It is a solid low mile, great color, with all the upgrades that spent a few years as a DD with the PO. It is by no means a perfect car but it is very very good. Doing a PPI will cover me in case a buyer gets remorse after the sale closes and sets a baseline for the car. If someone wants another PPI, I'll let them arrange it and pay the tow fees both ways. Scheduled it for Thursday with RAC.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Has RAC been working on it for a while? If so,like my Dad's 996 I'm about to sell, I will just tell anyone interested to give Hans a call about the car.

Steve
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Yes, doing a PPI or having a mechanic go through the car is not unwise at all and is a great idea. I often have my car’s detailed as well.

The buyer’s perceived risk is the main reason why people don’t like to buy used cars - they don’t trust the seller or know what could be lurking behind a nice looking car that has some underlying issue. That’s the whole reason the used “certified” car market exists: to give people the peace of mind saving a boatload of money buying a used car that’s nearly “as good as new,” although there is no such thing of course.

Is it worth the money? Well, a certified car comes with a heafty price tag and also some sort of guarantee or warranty. Your PPI wont have either, but anything the mechanic finds that you didn’t know about would be beneficial to the buyer and you both: any buyer would want to know if something is not in good shape, and you wouldn’t want to sell a car to someone to have it fail on the drive home. I’ve been on both sides of this, and it’s not fun in either case, even if you honestly didn’t mean any harm or try to get by with something.

I sold a 73,000-mike BMW X3 to someone and never had a problem with the car. Then on the drive home, the guy I sold it to had a breakdown. Complete coincidence, or was it? I never would have sold him the car if I thought it would break down on him. Then again, I didn’t have it inspected beforehand, and maybe an inspection would have revealed faulty ignition coils. Maybe not.

One caveat, however: no good deed goes unpunished. You spend the money for a PPI, then the mechanic finds $2,500 worth of repairs items. Then the buyer has his own PPI that finds about her $1,800 worth of repairs, and pretty soon you are asked to discount the car by $5k. Food for thought.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:07 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

I think it is a good idea.
I would be more inclined to spend money on a car that's got a PPI from a reputable place.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Has RAC been working on it for a while? If so,like my Dad's 996 I'm about to sell, I will just tell anyone interested to give Hans a call about the car.

Steve
Steve - Rac did the IMS, AOS, water pump, and clutch when I bought the car at 49K miles. The only other maintenance have been oil changes which I have done. It's at 64K miles now and I'm having oil changed and will see what else needs tended to.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had it done at a dealer or reputable shop, I don't think people would be too suspicious.

If you're putting it up on BAT or something similar, the PPI would probably be beneficial. If you're putting it up on craigslist, I'm not sure it's worth it. If the latter, I'd wait to someone actually requests one. If they back out afterwards, I'd pay for half the cost so I could use later.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Yes, doing a PPI or having a mechanic go through the car is not unwise at all and is a great idea. I often have my car’s detailed as well.

The buyer’s perceived risk is the main reason why people don’t like to buy used cars - they don’t trust the seller or know what could be lurking behind a nice looking car that has some underlying issue. That’s the whole reason the used “certified” car market exists: to give people the peace of mind saving a boatload of money buying a used car that’s nearly “as good as new,” although there is no such thing of course.

Is it worth the money? Well, a certified car comes with a heafty price tag and also some sort of guarantee or warranty. Your PPI wont have either, but anything the mechanic finds that you didn’t know about would be beneficial to the buyer and you both: any buyer would want to know if something is not in good shape, and you wouldn’t want to sell a car to someone to have it fail on the drive home. I’ve been on both sides of this, and it’s not fun in either case, even if you honestly didn’t mean any harm or try to get by with something.

I sold a 73,000-mike BMW X3 to someone and never had a problem with the car. Then on the drive home, the guy I sold it to had a breakdown. Complete coincidence, or was it? I never would have sold him the car if I thought it would break down on him. Then again, I didn’t have it inspected beforehand, and maybe an inspection would have revealed faulty ignition coils. Maybe not.

One caveat, however: no good deed goes unpunished. You spend the money for a PPI, then the mechanic finds $2,500 worth of repairs items. Then the buyer has his own PPI that finds about her $1,800 worth of repairs, and pretty soon you are asked to discount the car by $5k. Food for thought.
I totally expect she will need a few things. Those will either be repaired or disclosed and I'll adjust the price accordingly.

Bad luck on the BMW. How did that work out?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 PM
jrdavid68
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
... I'd wait to someone actually requests one. If they back out afterwards, I'd pay for half the cost so I could use later.
Hmm... I may just borrow this idea at some point in the future...

Quick Reply: PPI before selling?