What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Stotty
Picked the car up Tuesday afternoon with the Rennline engine mounts (yellow/street bushes) and H&R/M030 ARBs fitted (rear H&R bar is set to its middle setting).

Engine mounts will be coming off. I would have been comfortable with (and was expecting) a bit more NVH, and I can live with at tick over. But there’s a consistent vibration through the rev range that feels and sounds horrible… almost like the exhaust is blowing. Shame, as I know other owners have them fitted and are very happy with them… must be something specific with my car.
We installed a set for someone a couple of months ago.
He wanted the sport bushings installed, which I predicted was going to be too harsh.
He brought his 996 back to me about a week later and we installed the race bushings.
He said the sport bushings improved his tiptronic's shifting and he wanted to try the race bushings.
I asked him what he thought last week when he came by due to a broken sepentine belt.
He said he was very happy with them.
I've been considering them myself, especially since they're tunable.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 141 Posts

Sorry, not 996 related so much, but went to the LA Auto Show yesterday. Wow, the LA show is so much better than Detroit! There was a complete Porsche Area and they were encouraging people to get into the 992 and GT2 RS Clubsport! If you live near there, it is a must attend.

Could get in!

1963 was a great year for 2 reasons!

Business end of the 992.

In a different area for specialty cars.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Great pics! I fixed a P2101 in the advanced auto parking lot on the way home from Dallas. Went into limp mode twice on me going 80. Cleaned the throttle body and didn't have anymore issues.

And yes the engine is on the wrong side of the axle.

Name:  photo530.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  1,018.2 KB
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stotty

Engine mounts will be coming off. I would have been comfortable with (and was expecting) a bit more NVH, and I can live with at tick over. But there’s a consistent vibration through the rev range that feels and sounds horrible… almost like the exhaust is blowing. Shame, as I know other owners have them fitted and are very happy with them… must be something specific with my car.

I felt the same way. I use semi solid for track use but for street I'll only use stock or equivalent engine mounts.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
In a different area for specialty cars.
I know I'm probably alone on this but that purple RWB is fantastic.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:24 AM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I scraped the underside of my front bumper on a curb. Totally my fault. I didn't look carefully enough. I am so farking annoyed I cannot tell you. It pains me. It really does.

Sigh - I guess it's just a car. But you know....

Has anyone ever had a bumper touched up by a body shop? How'd it go?

Old 11-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Had my wheels done , gun metal grey, well happy with the resultAttachment 1296419
Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Name:  photo795.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  1.06 MB
Old 12-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Perfect!

Originally Posted by Noz1974
My favorite color! I had something similar done, crappy garage photo, but will post in the spring when out of storage!

Old 12-01-2018, 10:51 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall

I do a good bit of detailing but not professional...though I do think I can get a car looking better than new IMO. I have gotten quotes from body shops for the exact same kind of scuffs. Without seeing it close up, my first opinion is that you can probably get most of that looking OK without doing a repaint. FWIW, most good body shops don't just do "touch up" and will do the entire bumper - probably in the > $1000 range for a pretty good.

If you want to try it yourself, first wash it to get it as clean as possible. Use dish soap, not just car wash, to remove any waxes or contaminants. If you have a clay bar, use that (google if you don't know how). Rub the area with some isopropyl alcohol to really get the gunk off.

After you think it's really clean, wet sand with something like 3000 sandpaper to get the scuffs out as much as you can (maybe even lower grit like 1000 or lower for the bottom part that looks really scratched). Should take maybe just a minute or two. If you can get it looking like flat paint, that would be perfect. Don't use a lot of pressure to push into the paint; just get it looking uniform, like flat paint. Then use 5000 grit - also wet sanding - to polish it out some with a similar time (it should still look like flat paint, not shiny). If you haven't use it, this isn't really "sandpaper" as most people know it - it almost just feels like a piece of foam. It's just to even out the clearcoat, not grind it down to paint.

When you can't really see the scratches anymore and it just looks like flat/mat paint, use a compound liquid - with a dual action polisher if you have it but hand is fine if you don't. At this point it will start looking more "shiny" but not super reflective. After that use a polish liquid...again, DA polisher if you have it. Now it should be looking really good and. Apply your usual wax or other protectant.

That should get you looking pretty good without spending a fortune on a repaint.

There are plenty of good youtube videos on fixing paint scratches and bumper scuffs. IMO, I would google and watch a few, then try it yourself before taking it for a bumper repaint. This is a doable DIY project. I just did mine last week where it looked like someone had keyed the back hip and, using a similar method, now you can't tell it was there.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall
I scraped the underside of my front bumper on a curb. Totally my fault. I didn't look carefully enough. I am so farking annoyed I cannot tell you. It pains me. It really does.

Sigh - I guess it's just a car. But you know....

Good spot for some bed liner. like the factory rockers.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Troubleshot a loose wiring harness.

Name:  photo619.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  880.8 KB
Old 12-02-2018, 02:21 AM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
I do a good bit of detailing but not professional...though I do think I can get a car looking better than new IMO. I have gotten quotes from body shops for the exact same kind of scuffs. Without seeing it close up, my first opinion is that you can probably get most of that looking OK without doing a repaint. FWIW, most good body shops don't just do "touch up" and will do the entire bumper - probably in the > $1000 range for a pretty good.

If you want to try it yourself, first wash it to get it as clean as possible. Use dish soap, not just car wash, to remove any waxes or contaminants. If you have a clay bar, use that (google if you don't know how). Rub the area with some isopropyl alcohol to really get the gunk off.

After you think it's really clean, wet sand with something like 3000 sandpaper to get the scuffs out as much as you can (maybe even lower grit like 1000 or lower for the bottom part that looks really scratched). Should take maybe just a minute or two. If you can get it looking like flat paint, that would be perfect. Don't use a lot of pressure to push into the paint; just get it looking uniform, like flat paint. Then use 5000 grit - also wet sanding - to polish it out some with a similar time (it should still look like flat paint, not shiny). If you haven't use it, this isn't really "sandpaper" as most people know it - it almost just feels like a piece of foam. It's just to even out the clearcoat, not grind it down to paint.

When you can't really see the scratches anymore and it just looks like flat/mat paint, use a compound liquid - with a dual action polisher if you have it but hand is fine if you don't. At this point it will start looking more "shiny" but not super reflective. After that use a polish liquid...again, DA polisher if you have it. Now it should be looking really good and. Apply your usual wax or other protectant.

That should get you looking pretty good without spending a fortune on a repaint.

There are plenty of good youtube videos on fixing paint scratches and bumper scuffs. IMO, I would google and watch a few, then try it yourself before taking it for a bumper repaint. This is a doable DIY project. I just did mine last week where it looked like someone had keyed the back hip and, using a similar method, now you can't tell it was there.
Thanks! Great advice :-)

I think I might give it a go. Nothing to lose really :-)
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Fredycrudas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heart surgery done today
Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM
Clockel
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Stuff

Fixed yet another flat; a massive screw.
Removed the power spring behind the clutch pedal=massive improvement.
That is all.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?