996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How loud are muffler deletes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 226 Posts

I put to a set of Fisters on my car and it sounds good, I put a set of Fabspeed on the boy car and they are extremely loud, finally got the 3 baffles in the bypass pipe and now you can have a conversation. Loud as a Harley hmmm I have a 152 h.p. Bagger with 2 into 1 and the straight bypass was louder.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

I difference of 10db is ten fold increase. I believe that makes a 3db change a “doubling” of sound pressure. So if the Fister mod is 103dbA, and no mufflers was twice as loud, it would make it 106dbA.
I was talking about double the perceived loudness, which is 10db. You are talking about energetic intensity. I assume you care most about perceived loudness, not how much energy the sound waves can carry.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I was talking about double the perceived loudness, which is 10db. You are talking about energetic intensity. I assume you care most about perceived loudness, not how much energy the sound waves can carry.
My 99 Cab has Fabspeed headers, Xpipe 200 cell, and by-pass pipes that were too loud to drive even gingerly without drawing attention. I installed the Car Chemistry 3 disc inserts (baffles) into the by-pass pipes that they say will knock off about 10db and it is driveable now.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well folks, I got my answer. It’s definately not as loud as a straight piped Harley nor is it as loud as a Foxbody Mustang with long tubes and dumps. For me, the jury is still out on whether I’m going to keep them or go with Fisters, but I’ll make a few initial observations.

Idle definately sounds great. Cold start up is impressive and sounds good. Warm idle is a bit more subdued but is still great. I did set off a car alarm backing out of a parking space, so the volume of sound is a bit much. I was able to have a conversation on the phone using a Bluetooth earpiece with the windows open. I will say that I wish the “volume” of sound with the windows closed would be what it was with them open, if that makes sense. I noticed pronounced burble decelerating with the car in gear, which is awesome. I was only able to “get on it” a few times and the jury is still out on the sound. I will say that accelerating at low revs kinda had a cheap sound to it, kinda like a beater that lost its muffler, a little disappointed in that. It absolutely was a bit shocking, so I will reserve final judgement until after a nice long drive.

Lastly, for now, I want to make a comment on the stock exhaust configuration. I’m blown away that the whole process of removing the stock mufflers and installing the Fabspeed deletes took, at most, 30 minutes. Other than changing the oil I haven’t spent much time under the car. While I do have a low mile example that might have made this job ideal, the quality of the design and parts in the stock exhaust is unlike ANYTHING I’ve ever worked on. Anybody that complains as to the build quality of these cars has never worked on an American or even Japanese car, or just doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about. Not once did I have to utter an expletive or break a sweat. Try that on an 18 year old Corvette. The 996 is an absolute quality class act and the materials used cannot be found on any other car I’ve ever worked on. These are truly great cars.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I’m not an expert on the subject, but yes, I’m more concerned with the perceived loudness.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:41 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
My 99 Cab has Fabspeed headers, Xpipe 200 cell, and by-pass pipes that were too loud to drive even gingerly without drawing attention. I installed the Car Chemistry 3 disc inserts (baffles) into the by-pass pipes that they say will knock off about 10db and it is driveable now.
Just curious, what do the baffles do on the performer side of things? I looked them up and they look rather restrictive.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

Just curious, what do the baffles do on the performer side of things? I looked them up and they look rather restrictive.
Yea I agree they do not help make power, but I could not tell any loss by seat of the pants.

I would do the math like this, removing the restrictive mufflers and installing by-pass pipes adds 10hp

Installing the baffles in the by-pass pipes looses 13hp

The 40lb weight difference is equivalent to adding 4hp

Net gain 1hp...lol

No I don't have any dyno test to back any of that up, just my opinion..
Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM
01slvr911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of Ebay by-pass pipes for $140 last year, the sound is incredible, I have a soft top and above 3k you really can't hear yourself think. Under that, and around town its manageable but theres still quite a lot of noise that gets into the cabin. that being said, I've had it a year and wouldn't go back to stock the cracks, bubbles, and pops are music to my ears with the top down.

Quick Reply: How loud are muffler deletes?