Sponsored by:

2004 996 C2 Engine quit

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:03 PM
kevin1981
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 C2 Engine quit

So I have a follow up to the rattle sound I was hearing and posted about previously- (described as a clatter or knocking sound when at partial throttle and between about 2500-3500 rpm).

The engine quit running 2 days ago while stopped at a red light. It was at normal operating temperature and I had driven about 50 miles already that day, 10 just prior to the engine dying. It was running normally right up until when it stopped. My girlfriend was driving and I though maybe she just stalled it- but it wouldn't even turn over with the starter. I pushed it clear of the highway (about 100 yards to the next street, thank you to a random stranger who hopped out of his car and helped me push!)

It seemed like the battery was low as the engine wasn't turning at all. I connected a portable jumpstart pack I keep in the car and after 5 minutes tried it again. This time it fired up briefly and ran very rough with an awful mechanical sound- I shut it off immediately. It is now at the independent Porsche mechanic shop in my area. The mechanic has an excellent reputation and I'm sure he will be able to find the cause- I'm just hoping the motor isn't ruined!

My best guess is that the water pump seized and induced enough drag to stall the at idle engine, and then the starter motor didn't have sufficient torque to rotate the engine with a frozen water pump (Though i suspect it would be able to just drag the belt over the pulley if it were frozen stiff). There were no fluid leaks at all and no indications in the coolant tank or on the oil dipstick of intermix, but I did note some small black particulates in the coolant tank. I drained and refilled the coolant and replaced the water pump with a Gates brand aftermarket unit about 1000 miles ago.

Does anyone have a different guess? I'll update this thread with what my mechanic discovers.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1981
So I have a follow up to the rattle sound I was hearing and posted about previously- (described as a clatter or knocking sound when at partial throttle and between about 2500-3500 rpm).

The engine quit running 2 days ago while stopped at a red light. It was at normal operating temperature and I had driven about 50 miles already that day, 10 just prior to the engine dying. It was running normally right up until when it stopped. My girlfriend was driving and I though maybe she just stalled it- but it wouldn't even turn over with the starter. I pushed it clear of the highway (about 100 yards to the next street, thank you to a random stranger who hopped out of his car and helped me push!)

It seemed like the battery was low as the engine wasn't turning at all. I connected a portable jumpstart pack I keep in the car and after 5 minutes tried it again. This time it fired up briefly and ran very rough with an awful mechanical sound- I shut it off immediately. It is now at the independent Porsche mechanic shop in my area. The mechanic has an excellent reputation and I'm sure he will be able to find the cause- I'm just hoping the motor isn't ruined!

My best guess is that the water pump seized and induced enough drag to stall the at idle engine, and then the starter motor didn't have sufficient torque to rotate the engine with a frozen water pump (Though i suspect it would be able to just drag the belt over the pulley if it were frozen stiff). There were no fluid leaks at all and no indications in the coolant tank or on the oil dipstick of intermix, but I did note some small black particulates in the coolant tank. I drained and refilled the coolant and replaced the water pump with a Gates brand aftermarket unit about 1000 miles ago.

Does anyone have a different guess? I'll update this thread with what my mechanic discovers.
Oh no. Doesn't sound good in any way, shape or form. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the Gates brand have metal or plastic impellers? When a water pump goes out of wack, with plastic impellers they just break as to not damage the block. So with one of those, it shouldn't seize the engine. You can start the engine without aux belt for a short period of time though, although mechanical noise doesn't sound good.

Do you have any soundbites of your rattle and/or the mechanical noise?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Yea, there is pretty much no way a water pump impeller is going to stop the engine force. It would only take a few HP to shear it to pieces. I don't think you're going to find anything good in there. Sorry to say that, but hoping for the best.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:59 PM
kevin1981
Track Day

Thanks for the replies. The impeller blades on the replacement water pump were plastic. Still no word on the outcome. And unfortunately I don't have any recordings of the sound it made.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. The impeller blades on the replacement water pump were plastic. Still no word on the outcome. And unfortunately I don't have any recordings of the sound it made.
Did it sound like you were shaking a coffee can with marbles in it?
Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 PM
kevin1981
Track Day

It's hard to say. I only heard it for about 3 seconds (upon starting the engine after it had just died). It ran with a terrible clatter noise accompanying it, and I shut it right off. I had replaced the IMS bearing and bolt with the Pelican Parts kit just a couple of months ago. It went in easily and I'll really be surprised if it is an IMS bearing failure.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

It's hard to say. I only heard it for about 3 seconds (upon starting the engine after it had just died). It ran with a terrible clatter noise accompanying it, and I shut it right off. I had replaced the IMS bearing and bolt with the Pelican Parts kit just a couple of months ago. It went in easily and I'll really be surprised if it is an IMS bearing failure.
Sorry to hear this, and hoping the best for your situation.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So sorry to hear this.
You should have never restarted your car! That may have caused an additional $$$ in collateral damage...My timing chain broke and PO tried the restart. I'm in the same boat!

Last edited by 808Bill; 06-13-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Crossing fingers and toes for you
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
So sorry to hear this.
You should have never restarted your car! That may have caused an additional $$$K in collateral damage...My guess, timing chain broke. I may be in the same boat!
Well, as always hindsight is 20/20. As OP said, he thought it simply stalled due to low battery. No way to avoid that.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
Well, as always hindsight is 20/20. As OP said, he thought it simply stalled due to low battery. No way to avoid that.
I think natural instinct is to try and turn it over again and hope it starts so you can drive off Would take a fair bit of willpower to not try.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I think natural instinct is to try and turn it over again and hope it starts so you can drive off Would take a fair bit of willpower to not try.
Yes it would!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:12 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Similar thing happened in my 1999 C2.
Stopped at a red light & my car died. Restarted it, and it died again almost immediately.

I knew it wasn't good when I saw coolant pouring out the exhaust as the wrecker was loading it up.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:21 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yes, I totally agree. Any other car I would have done the same. I hope it's not to serious and OP will be up and running before me!

Quick Reply: 2004 996 C2 Engine quit