996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY: 996 Door Latch Replacement [Detailed]

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd guess that the lock drive motor is faulty on your replacement unit, pulling down both units when plugged in. Your original unit has a faulty microswitch that stops the window dropping. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could probably make one good unit out of the two, by removing the microswitch from your replacement unit and replacing the faulty switch in your original unit. Otherwise, return your replacement unit for a good one.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 740 Posts

^^ I have to agree. The door latch mechanism is a go or no go situation. If a brand new unit doesn't work right, it never will. What type of replacement door latch did you get? From where? Is it the correct door latch, because there are different ones for driver/passenger doors (and I think LHD or RHD is a criteria as well).
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

2nd new unit from sonnen Porsche had the same behavior. I had a separate thread asking if anyone knew if there was a difference between part numbers (big price difference). No real responses. I guess I know now.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Teekster
2nd new unit from sonnen Porsche had the same behavior. I had a separate thread asking if anyone knew if there was a difference between part numbers (big price difference). No real responses. I guess I know now.
It depends on which specific part numbers you are talking about. There are specific units for right hand drive (RHD) cars and left hand drive (LHD) cars, as well as specific units for the left hand door and right hand door of each variant. So you must get the one that suits your car and door.

As an example, the left hand unit for a RHD car will fit, but not work in a LHD car. If you have the original unit out of the car, take note of the part number. If you are substituting a VW part for the Porsche part, only the first 3 characters differ. The last part of the part number should be the same.

See my post above.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Mine is definitely a LHD car, but it has a different part number than those listed earlier in this thread. I tried the one that was listed here, but it didn’t work. It was less than half the price that my model #. Mine is 3b1837016p. As far as I can tell, there is a vw part with the same part number, less the p. The Porsche part varies from $350-450. I just ordered a used one from eBay. If that fails, does anyone think the vw part will work?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Mine is definitely a LHD car, but it has a different part number than those listed earlier in this thread. I tried the one that was listed here, but it didn’t work. It was less than half the price that my model #. Mine is 3b1837016p. As far as I can tell, there is a vw part with the same part number, less the p. The Porsche part varies from $350-450. I just ordered a used one from eBay. If that fails, does anyone think the vw part will work?
So according to the Porsche Parts List (PET), the part number listed is 3B1 837 016 M, which is for a Left Hand Drive 996, Right Side (Passenger) Door with M534/M535 Alarm System (see screen grab below). The letter following the part number usually denotes a revision of the design, so P would be a more recent variant than M.

Extract from PET for 996

In my case, the units I replaced were 8N2 837 015 and 8N2 837 016 on my '99 Boxster, and 8N2 837 016 on my '02 996 - my cars are Right Hand Drive (Australia). My Boxster had an after-market alarm system, so wasn't using the Porsche Alarm System and the VW units worked perfectly. My 996 does have a Porsche Alarm System and the drivers side VW substitution works great, but I haven't yet needed to replace the passenger side unit, so I don't know if the original unit in mine is the 8N2 or the 3B2 variant. I may also have the same issue as you if/when I have to change the passenger side unit. I get the feeling that the VW unit with the same part number (minus the letter) should work fine (and I would personally try one of those before paying the Porsche tax), but it is only a guess as I haven't had direct experience. Sorry I can't help further.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. Cheap eBay used replacement with the same part number solved all of the problems. No real Porsche tax paid.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:09 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
And finally, the door latch is truly an electro-mechanical mechanism. It does not work without power. Playing with it on the bench, locking and unlocking, I'm telling you it does not lock or unlock simply by turning the lock cylinder pin. I always thought that the key would operate even if the car was dead (no power). I am telling you for certain the door latch mechanism will not physically lock or unlock without power.
Had to try this myself after reading your findings as I remembered it differently and indeed I can unlock and lock the driver's door turning the key without power (battery disconnected) on my 99 Carrera.

Last edited by hardtailer; 08-17-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:55 PM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Ogden
Excellent instructions. One more piece of information... You can substitute a (much cheaper) VW unit for the genuine Porsche unit by simply swapping the circled piece from the Porsche unit to the VW unit. They are otherwise identical.

I was looking at this to save some money. So everything else is the same for the S and Cab S not diff for any other models? I have a 2009 Cab S.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

The information was applicable to the 996. 2009 would make your car a 997, wouldn't it?

The chances are good that there is an equivalent VW unit for the 997, but I couldn't say for certain. Get the original part number from the 997 PET and try searching the internet for parts that match the last part of your part number. If you find an alternate, just make sure it is for the correct side and for LHD (assuming your car is LHD). It may well be that the 997 uses the same units as the 996, but as I don't have a 997, I haven't checked.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:43 AM
AGGNES
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread - Thanks for all the information and detailed steps - My problem has been resolved after following these steps to replace the passenger lock assembly. After doing this once if the other side fails I will use the VW part as it was easy to switch the piece from the old lock mechanism to the new lock mechanism. I had purchased a used part off fleabay but in the future I will order the VW part.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Luca Essig
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have the link for the eBay part?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:19 PM
Luca Essig
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have replaced both of my door latches. It fixed the window dropping issue, but now I can’t lock the car. It sounds like it locks, unlocks and then honks and stays open. The latch doesn’t want to turn over. Any idea what this could be? I already checked everything, and it looks like it is all connected.
The following users liked this post:
hardtailer (02-19-2023)
Old 03-11-2021, 11:55 PM
Davids996
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY: 996 Door Latch Replacement [Detailed]

Just replaced mine too...bought off eBay and works awesome. Actually helped the door align better...interesting.

One word of caution (wisdom)...inside door is sharp...not wearing gloves, slipped when pulling something and slit my hand wide open. you can imagine my wife's joy... Actually had my daughter drive me to urgent care for 3 quick stiches. Oh, and yes, works perfectly now...the door latch that is.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:57 AM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, I have not seen this discussed here. I replaced the passenger door lock actuator because the window was not going down when opened (window regulator was fine). The new one functions well in that regard, however, now the doors won't lock. If I disconnect it, The driver door will lock. As soon as I reconnect the harness, nothing happens when I hit the lock button on the dash or the key. I disassembled everything and reinstalled it to the same effect. Thoughts?
I just installed the VW equivalent part which I got off ebay and have a similar issue. As soon as I connect it Durametric will show a fault in Alarm I32 as Fault Code 012 Wrong Door Lock Module, or something similar to that. If I plug my OE unit back in the fault is no longer active. With the VW part in the electronic locks will not work with the key. I can use durametric to lock them but I still get a fault.

Has anyone seen that?

I think I'm going to order a replacement, plug it in, and verify I don't get a fault before I actually install it.

Quick Reply: DIY: 996 Door Latch Replacement [Detailed]