Sponsored by:

While You are in there mods Clutch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default While You are in there mods Clutch Upgrade

I have leaky seals on the trans side of engine. Will have all the seals replaced (RMS, Input shaft, IMS). Thinking of upgrading to an aluminum flywheel and stage 1 spring clutch. How is the drivability with this package? Is it worth the extra cost? My flywheel will probably need resurfacing as I have got the car stuck and the clutch slipped one time. Also thinking of IMS bearing kit. Had replaced it with the cheaper Pelican retrofit kit about 40K miles ago. Would the double row for single kit from LNE be a good choice? This is on a 2001 C2 Cab.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

The double row pro from LNE is a good choice, the Solution is even better. My opinion on the flywheel/clutch - stay with the OE Dual Mass flywheel and clutch components. A lightweight flywheel and spring clutch is NOT an upgrade. The dual mass flywheel is designed to reduce harmonics that affect the crankshaft. Some M96 engine experts do not recommend lightweight flywheels and will not install them. You will be way better off in the long run to use an OE dual mass flywheel and clutch components.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from a LWFW back to dual mass recently. For everyday driving, I prefer the dualmass flywheel since it is quiet and easier to drive in stop and go traffic. For sports driving where the engine
spends most of the time in the higher rpms, the engine feels noticeably more responsive with the LWFW, but your transmission will make rattling noises in neutral, and misc. strange noises under some conditions.
If you still want to a LWFW despite the warning, I have a AASCO LWFW for sale if youŕe interested.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:37 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Just did a clutch last week and went with an oem clutch kit and flywheel based on issues I’ve read about with the lwfw. Also did an AOS and dual row retrofit imsb from LN at the same time purely out of pm given it’s The right time to do with the tranny split. Yes the solution is a better option, but given the imsb is only one of many modes of failure I did not wish to spend the extra $1500-2k given the cost of the kit and lack of authorized installers in my area— would have required me shipping the car off, so I’ll just plan on servicing it again in 5yr provided I still have the car.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I went with Assco LWFW and Sachs Stage II sprung disc and Sachs pressure plate.
Yes it rattles in neutral.
I enjoy the performance from it.
Not all agree on this modification, buts that's ok, it's fine to have different points of view
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you guys do when u take off tranny.. other than rms and ims any other seals or stuff that is easy to do with tranny off?
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sober_owl
when you guys do when u take off tranny.. other than rms and ims any other seals or stuff that is easy to do with tranny off?
Do the AOS. Not "easy" but easier to do with the trans out (you don't have to remove the intake).
Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I never recommend installing the LWFW. As adamant as Porsche is about saving weight, and doing every thing they can to keep weight or shave weight, I believe the 13 extra pounds is there for a good reason as many has explained. The noise alone is enough for me to not recommend it.

But if you're ok with the noise, and know all the risks, I have no problem with anyone doing it. I have a friend who I built a 3.4 big bore (3.8) for and he knew all the risks and drawbacks, so we put the LWFW and sprung clutch in. He was so happy for a while and has put 30k on it, but I feel like whenever the opportunity arises, he will go back to DMFW !!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Had a LWFW that had been installed by the previous owner, one of the first things I did was remove it.

Performance and response - awesome

General driving, noise, rattles and takeoffs from stops, potential engine harm - not great

I have a used Sachs sprung clutch disk that can be used with the ASSCO flywheel if you're interested - they retail for a fair bit.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the transition mount, odds are its due for replacement.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Check the transition mount, odds are its due for replacement.
Just replaced it Saturday. Was cracked and need replacing. Now no shudder when I let the clutch out in reverse. Used the AGA tool and did it while trans in the car.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Think I will stick with the stock set up. Just replaced my motor mounts with the Rennline adjustable mounts. Used the sport bushings. I got more vibrations and rattles than before. Not sure I would like more of that for a DD.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine will be done in the next few weeks when the diff gets upgraded. Had in the Proflex "race " mount inserts, wholly vibration was like driving a cup car or F2000 great on the track, switched to the "street yellow" much better. Will probably run the yellow in the new mount.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

I probably should have put in the yellow, but I do like the improved performance feel. Very glad I did not go with the red! Now I realize why they used the liquid filled mounts.

Quick Reply: While You are in there mods Clutch Upgrade