Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replaced igniton switch, now key won't go in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 PM
~Porsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced igniton switch, now key won't go in?

1999 996 - I decided to replace the ignition switch after reading they are a common point of failure. The key was a bit hard to turn prior, and there were some electrical issues, like the remote didn't always lock the doors, and the dash lights would stay on. I replaced the switch today, and I started the car after replacing. It seemed to still be tight, but the car started, and the dash lights now go off. But I tried a few more starts, and after one of them I removed the key, but when I tried to put it back in the cylinder, it was blocked. After about 3 minutes I was able to put the key right in? This happened a few times. Any idea what is causing this? Also, the remote lock worked on one try, but not on another.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like an alarm module fault, do you have access to a scanner to see if there are any alarm codes?

What sort of ignition switch did you install? Genuine, OEM or aftermarket?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:53 AM
~Porsche
AutoX

I bought the switch at Napa. I am thinking is might have to do with the ignition cylinder being 'sticky'. I may try the product called LPS1, which is a non greasy lubricant. I would follow the advice of this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...en-cold-2.html and put some on the key and insert it and remove, clean, and repeat, then try turning the key and see what happens. I do not know how the mechanisms are configured in the ignition cylinder. If the 'plate' or whatever the part is that is blocking the key from going in seems to release after a couple of minutes, could this mean it is gummed up? I also am thinking about electrical contact cleaner, I cant see how that would hurt if I shot a quick blast of that into the cylinder?

I have an OBDII scanner, but I don't think that will tell me alarm codes, correct? How would I further diagnose if it is an alarm module?

Last edited by ~Porsche; 03-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

It could be that it is just gummed up, so putting some dry type lubricant into the cylinder might work. Just remember that the key cylinder is actually just part of the whole steering wheel lock mechanism, and those have a reputation for getting stuck. From memory, the whole steering lock mechanism has been upgraded to a new part. I would just start with getting some lubricant into the key cylinder. Part No. 20 is the whole steering lock mechanism - http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-05
Old 03-01-2018, 10:31 AM
~Porsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
It could be that it is just gummed up, so putting some dry type lubricant into the cylinder might work. Just remember that the key cylinder is actually just part of the whole steering wheel lock mechanism, and those have a reputation for getting stuck. From memory, the whole steering lock mechanism has been upgraded to a new part. I would just start with getting some lubricant into the key cylinder. Part No. 20 is the whole steering lock mechanism - http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=403-05
Thanks, seems like a good place to start. Is there a dry lube that is known to work in these mechanisms? I know there is graphite, and I think another type, but not sure which might be best? Also, do you think I should clean it first, with an electrical contact cleaner?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:40 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

I vote no on the electrical contact cleaner. I know that it is supposed to be safe around most plastics, but I have seen where it discolors some plastics. Trying to spray it into the key cylinder without spraying it all over would be hard. Anyway, your problem is a sticking key cylinder. I would go so far as to get some 3 in 1 oil, and some graphite lube, put a few drops of oil on the key and some graphite, insert and turn, remove, do again and again and see if it gets any better.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:33 PM
~Porsche
AutoX

I went to Lowes and got a bottle of 3 in 1 PTFE lubricant, and did the liquid on key, plunge it 4 or 5 times, wipe, and repeated 5 times. I then tried turning the key. It didn't really turn any easier, but sometimes it turns easier than others for whatever reason. I turned it back and forth a few times and removed it, and again the key could not be reinserted. I also noticed that the steering wheel does not lock when in this state. I waited a few minutes, and then I could again put the key in and, and also get the steering wheel to lock after removing the key.

Last edited by ~Porsche; 03-01-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:45 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

It sounds like the steering wheel lock mechanism is the problem. Over time you might consider getting it replaced with the upgraded newer unit. That was the reason Porsche upgraded the steering wheel lock mechanism. The good news is you can transfer your ignition key cylinder to the new unit so you don't have to change out the keys.

Quick Reply: Replaced igniton switch, now key won't go in?