Sponsored by:

LN Deep Sump From Parts Geek, Anyone Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default LN Deep Sump From Parts Geek, Anyone Buy

Going to be purchasing the LN 2qt deep sump for my 996. A quick google search shows it is available from Parts Geek for $81 less plus free shipping which is a $137 savings from buying it from LN (shipping to me is $56).

The description does not mention the gasket or the swirl pots, but I checked with them and they say everything in the photo is included.

I have seen some really bad review from parts geek, and some good ones. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this part from them. I normally would just buy from LN, but it is tough to walk from $137 in savings, that's almost enough to fill the car with XP9 when I am done.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

I have on one my 2003. I bought it from LN directly.

Do you mean this one? https://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-s...51-baffle.html

A discount from $849 to $81? Are you sure you didn't miss a zero there?

I would highly recommend you get the 996 Skid plate that LN sells for this....it hangs pretty low especially if your car is lowered. https://lnengineering.com/bilt-racin...ard-plate.html

Last edited by Nickshu; 03-01-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have on on my 2003. I bought it from LN directly.

Do you mean this one? https://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-s...51-baffle.html

A discount from $849 to $81? Are you sure you didn't miss a zero there?

I would highly recommend you get the 996 Skid plate that LN sells for this....it hangs pretty low especially if your car is lowered. https://lnengineering.com/bilt-racin...ard-plate.html
Yes, that is the one. The $81 refers to the discount from parts geek versus LN. This is the link to it on parts geek: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433965052

And yes, I plan on getting the skid plate too.

Do you track your car? Were you having issues with oil pressure in turns? If so, did this help? I have the FVD pan on the car now, but I am still having issues. This is my last effort before I go accusump.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Albeit on a 986 Boxster, I have the LN unit and I tried to buy it from Parts Geek for the same reasons as you, but I was on my phone at Walmart of all places, and my signal dropped and the purchase didn't go through. The next day I found a used one on the Pelican Parts board and picked it up.

I track my car a lot, and I still have dips in oil pressure but they are not as "bad" as before I put the deep sump on. What really seemed to help them the most was going from 5w40 Millers Nano (which in itself was better than before when I was on the non track designed or approved DT40) to 10W50 Millers Nano, and I also added a switch that grounds out the high speed rad fan relays so that I can run them on high by flipping the switch which helps keep things a little cooler. The Millers is $$$ but I am running it on a 5,000 mile oil change interval (that is mostly HPDE and highway driving to/from events) that is supported with UOAs, and that helps mitigate the cost compared with other oils that have to be changed more frequently.

Are you already on the XP-9 or are you going to do that in addition to the deep sump? If not I would suggest trying the XP-9 first before changing to a new deep sump, it holds up better under heat and may give a desirable reduction in the frequency and amplitude of pressure drops?

Are you logging data or just peeking at the oil pressure gauge? I am not logging, but my video camera picks up the VDO aftermarket oil pressure gauge I added, so it is like a "poor man's" data logging

Steve
Old 03-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
Albeit on a 986 Boxster, I have the LN unit and I tried to buy it from Parts Geek for the same reasons as you, but I was on my phone at Walmart of all places, and my signal dropped and the purchase didn't go through. The next day I found a used one on the Pelican Parts board and picked it up.

I track my car a lot, and I still have dips in oil pressure but they are not as "bad" as before I put the deep sump on. What really seemed to help them the most was going from 5w40 Millers Nano (which in itself was better than before when I was on the non track designed or approved DT40) to 10W50 Millers Nano, and I also added a switch that grounds out the high speed rad fan relays so that I can run them on high by flipping the switch which helps keep things a little cooler. The Millers is $$$ but I am running it on a 5,000 mile oil change interval (that is mostly HPDE and highway driving to/from events) that is supported with UOAs, and that helps mitigate the cost compared with other oils that have to be changed more frequently.

Are you already on the XP-9 or are you going to do that in addition to the deep sump? If not I would suggest trying the XP-9 first before changing to a new deep sump, it holds up better under heat and may give a desirable reduction in the frequency and amplitude of pressure drops?

Are you logging data or just peeking at the oil pressure gauge? I am not logging, but my video camera picks up the VDO aftermarket oil pressure gauge I added, so it is like a "poor man's" data logging

Steve
Steve,

Thanks. Yes, already have the FVD deep sump (which does not have the plate that the LN one has) and have been using XP9, and I get dips in pressure mostly on right hand turns, after 10-12 minutes on the track. It is fine for the first 10-12 minutes. What's odd is that my car is a 99 and I recently replaced the motor. The motor I replaced it with was a reman from Porche (lucked out as I purchased a car off of copart for the motor). It has all of the upgraded parts, but has this issue. The original motor never had the issue.

I am not logging it, just looking at the stock gauge.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Yes, that is the one. The $81 refers to the discount from parts geek versus LN. This is the link to it on parts geek: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/SC/83-08026479.html?utm_content=SC&utm_term=1999-2008+Porsche+911+Oil+Deep+Sump+Kit+LN+Engineering+99+0141+020+99-08+Porsche+Oil+Deep+Sump+Kit+2007+2003&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm _medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6zwpNPL 2QIV3oKzCh3xHQOKEAQYASABEgIWdfD_BwE&ad=47433965052

And yes, I plan on getting the skid plate too.

Do you track your car? Were you having issues with oil pressure in turns? If so, did this help? I have the FVD pan on the car now, but I am still having issues. This is my last effort before I go accusump.
I had the EBSR baffle alone (same one provided with the LN deep kit, using the stock sump) and still saw some drop. According to LN Engineering their 2.5qt deep sump worked equally as well as an Accusump in their testing so they stopped selling their Accusump kits. I have yet to test it on the track since I just installed it this winter. I'm hopeful that it will be effective... Installing an Accusump on these cars looks looks like a a huge PITA project as it's hard to find a good place to mount one that isn't a compromise.

Honestly when you look at the design of the LN deep sump I can't see how oil can wash out from the pickup...it's literally in a box almost completely contained. Cool design.

Last edited by Nickshu; 03-01-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: LN Deep Sump From Parts Geek, Anyone Buy