Sponsored by:

Bosch battery from PepBoys

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Bosch battery from PepBoys

i have had my car for almost 18 years now and over that time I have replaced the battery several times. In 2013 I bought a new Bosch battery from PepBoys. About 2 years or so it was not holding a charge ell. I took the battery to PepBoys and when they tested it the test showed it had a bad cell and the gave me a new one under warranty. Then for the last 6 months or more my car has been very slow to start, particularly after the first start. I thought it might be the starter. Then a week ago it started in the garage but the battery was dead after my second start. I looked in my computer and saw the purchase in 2013 but had forgotten the warranty replacement so took the battery back to PepBoys to have it tested assuming if it was bad I would have to buy a new one as the warranty was full replacement for 36 months.

The women working at the counter looked at the sticker on the battery saying it was shipped in January 2015 and said if it was shipped in 2015 then it must have been February 2015 when I got it so it was still under warranty. I asked if they wanted to test it and she said she would if I wanted them to but why bother as they would give me a new one under the warranty. So I have a new battery marked shipped January 2018 that hold a charges and turns the car over like new.

So ffor one purchase I am now on my third battery which is covered for another 36 months. Now I would prefer that the batteries lasted a lot longer, sure. But if they have problems every 30-36 months in perpetuity and they keep giving me new batteries under warranty that’s not too bad. I think I will set myself a reminder in 30 months to check the battery and maybe just get it replaced😎
The following users liked this post:
Jay Holloway (10-20-2022)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
i have had my car for almost 18 years now and over that time I have replaced the battery several times. In 2013 I bought a new Bosch battery from PepBoys. About 2 years or so it was not holding a charge ell. I took the battery to PepBoys and when they tested it the test showed it had a bad cell and the gave me a new one under warranty. Then for the last 6 months or more my car has been very slow to start, particularly after the first start. I thought it might be the starter. Then a week ago it started in the garage but the battery was dead after my second start. I looked in my computer and saw the purchase in 2013 but had forgotten the warranty replacement so took the battery back to PepBoys to have it tested assuming if it was bad I would have to buy a new one as the warranty was full replacement for 36 months.

The women working at the counter looked at the sticker on the battery saying it was shipped in January 2015 and said if it was shipped in 2015 then it must have been February 2015 when I got it so it was still under warranty. I asked if they wanted to test it and she said she would if I wanted them to but why bother as they would give me a new one under the warranty. So I have a new battery marked shipped January 2018 that hold a charges and turns the car over like new.

So ffor one purchase I am now on my third battery which is covered for another 36 months. Now I would prefer that the batteries lasted a lot longer, sure. But if they have problems every 30-36 months in perpetuity and they keep giving me new batteries under warranty that’s not too bad. I think I will set myself a reminder in 30 months to check the battery and maybe just get it replaced😎
That's a killer deal. I know at one time Pep Boys had the Bosch H7 on sale for $54, did you get in on that on your first purchase? lol
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Bosch h7 in a couple of other cars - so far no issues - the issue with premature battery fails in my 996 turned out to be bad alternator diodes - allowing the battery to drain when the car was off. I'm using Diehard AGM in the 996. Worth checking what the battery voltage reads on the new battery after a few days parked and/or seeing if the alternator is warm to the touch after leaving the car overnight. Once I fixed the alternator - battery holds charge for 2 weeks + - no issues.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:14 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had great success with the Bosch AGM H7 from Pep Boys - with online coupons you can sometimes get for about $170.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I used a Pep Boys Bosche battery to replace the 7-yr-Old original battery in my wife’s BMW X3. The replacement didn’t last a year.

The problem with some of these battery places is that batteries (particularly low demand items) can sit on the shelf for a long time, which is not good for the health of a battery.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I used a Pep Boys Bosche battery to replace the 7-yr-Old original battery in my wife’s BMW X3. The replacement didn’t last a year.

The problem with some of these battery places is that batteries (particularly low demand items) can sit on the shelf for a long time, which is not good for the health of a battery.
Agree - always check the "born on" date that's on the battery - you want one that is fresh - so for a purchase today, look for one that has a January 2018 date.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Reminds me of the JC Penny "forever" battery that came in my 1st car when I was 17. Guarrantied for life to original purchaser in that car. It was a good battery, so good that I kept it when i sold the car & installed it in my next car & swapped the new car's battery into the previous car before selling it. After the 1st battery failed JC Penny had closed it's auto centers ( I wonder why) & Firestone took care of the battery warranties. I got 2 additional battery exchange just presenting the dead battery & the warranty papers with the original buyers name on it.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

I ought to start buying my batteries at PepBoys! The Autozone guy is always very adamant that I can only use my warranty once per battery.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

The Bosch batteries from PepBoys have stickers showing shipping dates. The one I took out of the car said January 2015 and the new one says January 2018. So I am not worried about them being old stock. And in this case the saleswomen did not even want to check it she just wanted to give me a new battery. OK by me.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Pep Boys warranty on the Bosch AGM batteries is fantastic!
Same scenario happened to me last year... Left the car off of the trickle charger over the winter months and she was dead as a door nail when I went to start her up.
Drove into Pep Boys with the dead battery and drove back with a new one!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I've had a similar experience with Bosch and Pep Boys. I bought a Bosch battery with the highest warranty for my wife's (non-Porsche) car. It lasted a year. Pep Boys replaced it and that one lasted two years. They replaced that one too and the third one lasted many years. I bought a Bosch AGM from them for my 996 a few years ago and knock on wood, it's still going strong with no issues even though my car sometimes sits for two weeks or more during the winter.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Such good deals and warranties in the USA!

I've got a Bosch at the moment I have to keep it topped up by my c-tek so a replacement might be on the horizon.

@porschetech3 I haven't had time to test it but the starter problem hasn't come back so i'll keep an eye on it.

If it dies i'd like to get an Optima because my last one was still working 9+ years later! Too bad they aren't straight forward to fit into a 996...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
If it dies i'd like to get an Optima because my last one was still working 9+ years later! Too bad they aren't straight forward to fit into a 996...
This tray and cable plus a RedTop 34R work great in my 996.

http://www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/details.php?id=104
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
This tray and cable plus a RedTop 34R work great in my 996.

http://www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/details.php?id=104
Have seen those before but thanks for posting, being in Australia makes everything slightly more difficult to obtain though!

When the time comes ill probably invest in one and an optima.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I dont want to thread Jack but whilst we're on batteries has anyone tried the latest Optima 34R? Looks like they havr added sections on the end of it:

Quick Reply: Bosch battery from PepBoys