Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Start here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._Separator.htm
Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Thanks for info - glad it's going to be a long winter - looks like a fun tear down- my hand modeling days will come to an end after this job
Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

lol. wish I could offer you come pointers but I replaced mine while it was out for its rebuild....so it was easy-peasy. All I can recommend is make as much room as you can in that engine bay.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:40 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Took 3 days of work, motor in car. Remove the rear bumper cap and heat shields. Drop the motor to the cross-member to gain enough room. The last intake bolt all the way in the back is a royal PITA! Wrap your left arm with a couple of Ace bandages because most of the work is going to be with your left arm going all the way to the back, and there are many sharp things along the left side. It's a doable job, but painful, so have lots of beer and advil at the ready. Take your time and be patient. A lot of stuff has to come out to get to it.

Edit - if you are removing the transmission to service the clutch/IMSB, then I've heard it is a far easier job than going in from the top. Good luck!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:51 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Or just drop the engine, and make all of those jobs easier. It isn't that much more work, all things considered. Yes a little more time, but SOOOOO much easier to do work.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Kris Murphy
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have the trans removed, you can remove and replace the AOS without removing the intake manifold. Just did it a few weeks ago. Still sucks, though.

If it was not for having to drain the coolant, removing the entire engine/trans as a unit would be much easier (maybe still is).
Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally, I'd take draining the coolant and separating the AC/PS lines over contortions.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:48 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Took 3 days of work, motor in car. Remove the rear bumper cap and heat shields. Drop the motor to the cross-member to gain enough room. The last intake bolt all the way in the back is a royal PITA! Wrap your left arm with a couple of Ace bandages because most of the work is going to be with your left arm going all the way to the back, and there are many sharp things along the left side. It's a doable job, but painful, so have lots of beer and advil at the ready. Take your time and be patient. A lot of stuff has to come out to get to it.

Edit - if you are removing the transmission to service the clutch/IMSB, then I've heard it is a far easier job than going in from the top. Good luck!
Not sure why the bumper would need removal?

I did mine without removing the bumper. I removed the mufflers, dropped the engine a few inches and stuck my arm all the way in there. Not fun and took me about three days too but had to get it done because mine had sprung a coolant leak.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

That was the thing. I did not remove my mufflers. So dropping the engine would have bowed out the bumper cap and outer heat shields. Removing the bumper cap and outer heat shields enabled me to drop the engine to the bottom without hitting anything.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:30 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
That was the thing. I did not remove my mufflers. So dropping the engine would have bowed out the bumper cap and outer heat shields. Removing the bumper cap and outer heat shields enabled me to drop the engine to the bottom without hitting anything.
That would also make the IMS change easier- there's a lot to hmmmm
Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did mine while doing the IMS bearing. For the aft bolt (as viewed looking at the flywheel) I found a regular allen key (4mm I think) got in there better than an allen socket on a ratchet. To get enough leverage to break the torque I had to come in from the drivers side. I already had the muffler removed and I dropped the engine down a little further for this. That bolt was the absolute worst part of the job and probably took the majority of the time. There are some ground wires right next to the AOS, make sure they don't get caught underneath it when you install the new one.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:42 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have my respect! I took out the gearbox to change the flywheel (from LWFW back to dual-mass), and figure I should replace the AOS since
it is visible without the gearbox. Even trying to undo the bellow clamps with a vice-grip made me almost broke the crank sensor nearby, and bruised my
fingers, so I gave up after an hour of trying. May be next clutch replacement time I´ll try again.

I was also planning to replace the RMS and IMSB, both the original RMS is bone dry and the IMSB turns out to be not replaceable without splitting the case.

So just the flywheel is replaced. I´m buttoning it back up this weekend.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM
rymerc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it with much less disassembly than some writeups. You can do it in the dark. You can do it while everything is covered in slimy coolany from a failure. Just be careful not to pinch any wires putting it back together. The crank position sensor is back there and you'll hate yourself if you pinch that lil guy.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

^I think I can do it now....after I replaced the AOS 3 times. 2 times from the top and one time with the transmission removed. Agreed it's still not a walk in the park even with the transmission removed.

Last edited by Ahsai; 01-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil separator install