Sponsored by:

Agency Power Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:31 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dougn
I ordered a set of these headers and ohlins road and track from Vivid. Then they sent me some waivers to sign......then more emails saying they wont ship the headers to california. I replied ok send to Illinois to my Illinois house and they said we wont because your billing address is california. I called them and after waiting 15 minutes, a gal tells me oh so and so is handling this and he's on lunch. I'll have him call you. Of course he never does. Meanwhile the ohlins is a 6 to 8 week wait. So I'm not very impressed with Vivid Racing. In fact I'd say they are inept.

I really want to grab a set of these headers. I would have ordered them already if they weren’t coming from Vivid. I’ve read too many terrible things about their business practices to want to spend my money with them. A quick search of just their BBB rating will tell you a lot.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:27 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 986 Posts

I ordered a set of these headers and ohlins road and track from Vivid. Then they sent me some waivers to sign......then more emails saying they wont ship the headers to california. I replied ok send to Illinois to my Illinois house and they said we wont because your billing address is california. I called them and after waiting 15 minutes, a gal tells me oh so and so is handling this and he's on lunch. I'll have him call you. Of course he never does. Meanwhile the ohlins is a 6 to 8 week wait. So I'm not very impressed with Vivid Racing. In fact I'd say they are inept.

Update: They got it straightened out very well. I am very satisfied
Seems like a state problem, they do drop ship a lot of things from various warehouses and they depend on vendors to backfill orders which is the way most big shops handle things now a day... which I agree sucks. I've ordered parts from them over the years and only had to wait for some parts to be shipped from ABT Germany.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:33 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default That’s the way almost every one is going.

Originally Posted by motoo344
I think its just the direction we are headed. I saw that Audi announced they are moving to all-electric so I think we are going to start to see this sort of stuff phase-out.
Yes you are correct. Volvo is going all electric by 2030. Since I own an F150 and this one is my third, I also own Ford stock. The big turnaround there is electric. Mustang Mach E, watch Ford take market share from Tesla. There are companies that are building street legal e cars developed on racing technology. The problem is price tag and range. Hummer all electric 3 motors 1,000 horsepower. , I have a 36 gallon fuel tank and sometimes when I fill up it reads 800 miles to empty. By the way my F150 supercrew had almost a 45,000 sticker price, I paid $28,500 for it just STX package with electronic looking diff. On top of that i bought it on truck month so I have 100,000 powertrain warranty, so no mods to this. One of my neighbors has the same truck but with all the options he paid $60k . We were talking on sunday about the Porsche and i said that i got both vehicles for less than $50k.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:24 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

the electric thing really irritates me because it's all based on a huge lie. nothing wrong with electric vehicles thoughOn Electric Cars

Electric cars are not green. 63 percent of the nations energy comes from burning fossil fuel and 20 percent from nuclear. It's easy to compute the chem energy and the efficiency of converting fossil fuel to electricity. For natural gas that number is about 40 percent, coal about 33 percent. For any fossil fuel reaction (burning with the proper amount of oxygen), CO2 is emitted proportional to the energy output. There is also a significant amount of energy lost in the transmission from the power plant to the home. ...about 6 percent or an efficiency of 94 percent. So if you combine the weighted average of coal and gas efficiency together you get about 38 percent multiply by .94 gives you .36 (36 percent). A modern gas engine in a automobile is about 35 percent and a diesel is over 40 percent. So, there you go. If you factor in the battery mess.... well you have a huge mess. Its an amazing fraud that you're told electric cars are zero emissions. It's criminal. Now you may say....well we are going to convert to renewable energy.....Doug! OK, let's have a look at that. Currently 7 percent of the nations energy is provided by wind and 1.7 percent by solar. If all cars were electric (cars only) and we eliminated natural gas to the homes (44 percent of residential energy consumption) , we would need well over 2 times the current electric energy total.... as a nation. So right now, NOT including the battery footprint, electric cars pollute about the same as gas and diesel cars. We'll have to decide whether we want to erect roughly 40 times the wind generators and where and what the impact is...environmental, lifespan, disposal etc. Electric cars are great, but they are not green and they damn sure aren't zero emissions.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:55 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default 100 percent agree with you

Great info. Well said. I heard the speech on a YouTube video from the Texas lutenant governor at second baptist church about what happened in our blackouts. In a nutshell they did not winterize the lines and plenty of power plants could not receive natural gas. If a lot of those plants were set up in coal we could have survived. Anyway, I laugh my *** off every time I see someone driving a Prius Tesla. Volt or any other electric cars. AOC said that we should eliminate cows, I say bull**** I love meat, brisket, short ribs, Ribeyes, etc. We need to screw the Chinese and Indians worst polluters in the world.
The following users liked this post:
Mfletch (03-23-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:28 PM
996fried
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

the electric thing really irritates me because it's all based on a huge lie. nothing wrong with electric vehicles thoughOn Electric Cars

Electric cars are not green. 63 percent of the nations energy comes from burning fossil fuel and 20 percent from nuclear. It's easy to compute the chem energy and the efficiency of converting fossil fuel to electricity. For natural gas that number is about 40 percent, coal about 33 percent. For any fossil fuel reaction (burning with the proper amount of oxygen), CO2 is emitted proportional to the energy output. There is also a significant amount of energy lost in the transmission from the power plant to the home. ...about 6 percent or an efficiency of 94 percent. So if you combine the weighted average of coal and gas efficiency together you get about 38 percent multiply by .94 gives you .36 (36 percent). A modern gas engine in a automobile is about 35 percent and a diesel is over 40 percent. So, there you go. If you factor in the battery mess.... well you have a huge mess. Its an amazing fraud that you're told electric cars are zero emissions. It's criminal. Now you may say....well we are going to convert to renewable energy.....Doug! OK, let's have a look at that. Currently 7 percent of the nations energy is provided by wind and 1.7 percent by solar. If all cars were electric (cars only) and we eliminated natural gas to the homes (44 percent of residential energy consumption) , we would need well over 2 times the current electric energy total.... as a nation. So right now, NOT including the battery footprint, electric cars pollute about the same as gas and diesel cars. We'll have to decide whether we want to erect roughly 40 times the wind generators and where and what the impact is...environmental, lifespan, disposal etc. Electric cars are great, but they are not green and they damn sure aren't zero emissions.
While I agree with you, one has to look at the last Texas fiasco....but there is a loophole. The “renewable attribute” can be legally separated from the actual power, which means power can be consumed in one place, but a different place gets credit as if it had actually consumed the renewable power. So.....a Colorado wind farm can sell the abstract credit, known as an RPC or Renewable Power Certificate to California. California needs credits to meet its renewable power quota and is willing to pay for nothing more than a piece of paper. The wind farm can also sell the real electric power separatelyto someone who is willing to buy electricity that comes without the renewable power attributes because the renewable power attribute has been sold to California. This is a clever legal way to convert power from fossil fuels into renewable power and meet a renewable power quota without actual renewable power! When one considers that most wind and solar are intermittent and erratic sources of power, as in Texas, they always have to be backed up with fossil fuel plants that take over when the sun sets or the wind stops. When you look at California and the economics of solar power, why in order to generate solar power if there weren’t various subsidies it would cost about $80 per megawatt-hour. With the federal and state subsidies the cost might be reduced to $25 per megawatt-hour. In contrast, the marginal cost of generating power with natural gas is $15 to $20 a megawatt-hour. But the $25 renewable power runs out when the California grid can’t accept any more solar in the middle of the day. If they pay Nevada $15 to accept the excess solar, they now have a route to get renewable credits for $40 per megawatt-hour, $25 for the solar power, and $15 to get Nevada to accept the unusable power. Essentially by a legal strategy, they are converting natural gas electricity, delivered in the evening, into renewable electricity. Nevada, on the other hand, is getting electricity that is not legally renewable, even though it really does come from solar. The real scam in all of this comes down to the simple fact that utilities have no incentive to stop the waste because they have figured out how to make money or should we really say, scam money by promoting dubious renewable power. Just look at the sideshow of politicians on state public utility commissions where a good deal of state legislatures do not have the knowledge, ability, or guts to really represent the interests of the people, but sure as hell welcome the interests of the manufacturers of wind and solar stations along with those environmental organizations that are profiting from an artificial fear of traditional energy. Yet, people send money to environmental organizations because they have been convinced that catastrophes are looming....and yet just nobody has figured out how much electricity will be needed just in those metro areas alone as they plug in their electric cord at night to charge their vehicle....with an outdated electrical grid.

I'm sorry that this got as long as it did, but seriously, why do I have to subsidize somebody's purchase of an electric car? If it is so wonderful, then open up the cage and let it fly on its own......
Old 03-17-2021, 03:27 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996fried
While I agree with you, one has to look at the last Texas fiasco....but there is a loophole. The “renewable attribute” can be legally separated from the actual power, which means power can be consumed in one place, but a different place gets credit as if it had actually consumed the renewable power. So.....a Colorado wind farm can sell the abstract credit, known as an RPC or Renewable Power Certificate to California. California needs credits to meet its renewable power quota and is willing to pay for nothing more than a piece of paper. The wind farm can also sell the real electric power separatelyto someone who is willing to buy electricity that comes without the renewable power attributes because the renewable power attribute has been sold to California. This is a clever legal way to convert power from fossil fuels into renewable power and meet a renewable power quota without actual renewable power! When one considers that most wind and solar are intermittent and erratic sources of power, as in Texas, they always have to be backed up with fossil fuel plants that take over when the sun sets or the wind stops. When you look at California and the economics of solar power, why in order to generate solar power if there weren’t various subsidies it would cost about $80 per megawatt-hour. With the federal and state subsidies the cost might be reduced to $25 per megawatt-hour. In contrast, the marginal cost of generating power with natural gas is $15 to $20 a megawatt-hour. But the $25 renewable power runs out when the California grid can’t accept any more solar in the middle of the day. If they pay Nevada $15 to accept the excess solar, they now have a route to get renewable credits for $40 per megawatt-hour, $25 for the solar power, and $15 to get Nevada to accept the unusable power. Essentially by a legal strategy, they are converting natural gas electricity, delivered in the evening, into renewable electricity. Nevada, on the other hand, is getting electricity that is not legally renewable, even though it really does come from solar. The real scam in all of this comes down to the simple fact that utilities have no incentive to stop the waste because they have figured out how to make money or should we really say, scam money by promoting dubious renewable power. Just look at the sideshow of politicians on state public utility commissions where a good deal of state legislatures do not have the knowledge, ability, or guts to really represent the interests of the people, but sure as hell welcome the interests of the manufacturers of wind and solar stations along with those environmental organizations that are profiting from an artificial fear of traditional energy. Yet, people send money to environmental organizations because they have been convinced that catastrophes are looming....and yet just nobody has figured out how much electricity will be needed just in those metro areas alone as they plug in their electric cord at night to charge their vehicle....with an outdated electrical grid.

I'm sorry that this got as long as it did, but seriously, why do I have to subsidize somebody's purchase of an electric car? If it is so wonderful, then open up the cage and let it fly on its own......
It all boils down to scams and suckers Like PT Barnum said..... Nuclear power is very attractive although you have to be an expert to eval the real danger of a modern nuclear plant

Porsche is working on CO2 neutral fuel. That would be very cool

Last edited by dougn; 03-17-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:22 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I think the genie is out of the bottle. I don't think the electric car thing is going away. Nor is solar and batteries either. There are always consequences to these things, mining for instance, but the effects on the electrical grid short term. On the other hand, nothing is gained without hands on practical experience, so the more of these that are purchased (cars), the more solar bought, the less expensive it gets, the more efficient it becomes, etc. I love my Fisters, Porsche, etc., but I think the change to electrical is inevitable. This from the point of an electrician.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:42 PM
nrp3
Pro

I have a customer for who invests in Tesla on the multimillion dollar level. Not that this is the be all end all opinion, or vision of the future, but he's bullish on the future of their products.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:50 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I have a customer for who invests in Tesla on the multimillion dollar level. Not that this is the be all end all opinion, or vision of the future, but he's bullish on the future of their products.
That is because it is. I know we are going a little off-topic here but you are seeing many oil-rich nations start to diversify because they see the writing on the wall. Time for companies to start expanding or be left behind.

On a car-related note, I do wonder what it will do for the value of cars like the 911 come 20+ years down the line when more manufacturers move on to electric.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Default Polestar is pretty awesome too.

Yeah a lot of electric cars out there. Polestar from Germany is awesome.!Like i said before Ford will take away from Tesla. I bought last year at $6, it’s over $12. The issue with Tesla is size, Ford sells more F 150 that Tesla does all cars and yes there is an electric F 150 coming. The Hummer that’s coming will crush the Tesla truck. I think our older more driver involvement required cars will be fine. I’m retired, a reason why I am retired is because I saved and invested. I bought apple and Microsoft in 2009. I’m not a trader. Anyway Apple is going to come up with the Apple car and then you will see some kids will never learn how to drive. If you guys are wondering yes I could have bought a new 911,
i test drove it, no I didn’t want to buy it.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:06 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

A move to electric cars will soon over stress the electric supply and all hell will break loose. It will be satisfying to watch. Hopefully we can capture and shoot those responsible
Old 03-17-2021, 07:17 PM
nrp3
Pro

I think all that will happen is jobs will be created to beef up the grid. The utilities will eventually succumb to service that had become that bad or someone else will replace them. Supply and demand. Same thing for the legacy auto manufacturers. The strong will survive as always.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:33 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,468 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Wow u guys get distracted easily.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
NE1N-11 (03-17-2021), TheChunkNorris (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 PM
cun65458
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I struggle a bit with the concept of the eccentric / electric crowd. There’s a reason the ICE is in use; it’s more practical, affordable and maintainable. There also doesn’t seem to be an effective marketing approach to electric cars. I mean can you convince the ‘average’ car owner they need to own something that’s 50% more in costs (with govt subsidies), not to mention the lack of infrastructure to adequately support it? This is not a concept that pulls customers to your product, but instead pushes (shoves) them in that direction, think mandates, virtue signaling and threat of cancel culture if you don’t comply to a certain ideology.

I get it, electric cars are cool, lots of torque, and on the surface, virtually maintenance free, until you have to buy a new battery.

I know costs are coming down, and there’s a network of Tesla charging stations, or other charging stations outside of Whole Foods, etc.

I just think until you can offer a true economic reason to transition, it’s a tough sell to go electric. Or you just convince everyone to pay double (triple) for their Transportatipn costs, like in Europe, then you’re there.

But I can definitely say, those Agency headers are nice. They look well made! 👍

Originally Posted by motoo344
That is because it is. I know we are going a little off-topic here but you are seeing many oil-rich nations start to diversify because they see the writing on the wall. Time for companies to start expanding or be left behind.

On a car-related note, I do wonder what it will do for the value of cars like the 911 come 20+ years down the line when more manufacturers move on to electric.

Quick Reply: Agency Power Headers