996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

engine options other than ls swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:17 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 132 Posts

Heres a picture of our Nikasil liners installed.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
ttt: hhmmm....you must be referring to these guys. http://www.texas-speed.com/
if eric works there then ya lol it was a couple years ago when I had the plate made up.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I Look forward to this one!
I've been planning this one for a while. I'm finally to the point of doing it. i'll do a build thread when I start showing some progress on the physical boxster. right now its stuff like porting my heads, buiding my motor, etc. nothing worth looking at plus I'm moving so slow on projects right now I don't want to be ANOTHER thread of a back yard mechanic who rarely updates it

real quick numbers off the top of my head
motor: $300
rebuild: with balancing and various work about $900 with me doing the rebuild machine shop doing the machine work
extra go fast parts:$1500
boxster s transmission:$900
boxster s knuckles, axles:$400
adaptor plate:1500 if I remember correctly.

that's honestly about all I've put into it so far. I'm making my own mounts and doing all the work myself. I'm sure the knuckle and dime stuff is going to add up to a couple thousand but I'd be surprised if I spend over $7k
Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
There are two key factors to getting this done within the price range. 1. Our costs are lower thanks to doing the build in our facility in Mexico City. 2. Most of the performance upgrades are bolt on and not machined in. THe Nikasil liner are not LN Nickies. The are NIKASIL cylinder sleeves but are not the prefabricated Nikasil liners LN sells for over 4k with new piston etc. We use the factory pistons.

For the time being we are only doing the rebuild with the mentioned upgrades. Once displacement is increased you have to buy pistons etc. RIght now we are not doing upgrades of that type. Our goal is to offer a rebuild with preventative upgrades to make the engine stronger.

I understand what you are saying but its possible. Weve already done it. The engine I currently have in my 996 has the upgrades mentioned and it was within the budget. Add up the parts I mentioned. Price comes down enough to make it work if you can take care of labor. Your price may be higher since you used the LN Nickies kit which is different from re-sleeving with NIKASIL liners. Two very different things with a huge price difference.
thanks for sharing. I'm sure a lot of the community will be contacting you eventually
Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two key factors to getting this done within the price range. 1. Our costs are lower thanks to doing the build in our facility in Mexico City. 2. Most of the performance upgrades are bolt on and not machined in. THe Nikasil liner are not LN Nickies. The are NIKASIL cylinder sleeves but are not the prefabricated Nikasil liners LN sells for over 4k with new piston etc. We use the factory pistons.

For the time being we are only doing the rebuild with the mentioned upgrades. Once displacement is increased you have to buy pistons etc. RIght now we are not doing upgrades of that type. Our goal is to offer a rebuild with preventative upgrades to make the engine stronger.

I understand what you are saying but its possible. Weve already done it. The engine I currently have in my 996 has the upgrades mentioned and it was within the budget. Add up the parts I mentioned. Price comes down enough to make it work if you can take care of labor. Your price may be higher since you used the LN Nickies kit which is different from re-sleeving with NIKASIL liners. Two very different things with a huge price difference.
Use new factory pistons or reuse the factory pistons from the motor?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Use new factory pistons or reuse the factory pistons from the motor?
If the pistons are not damaged and pass inspection we reuse the pistons from the motor.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:49 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

If the pistons are not damaged and pass inspection we reuse the pistons from the motor.
Have you thought about a short block option?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strathconaman
What he said /\

I would love a short block option as I would enjoy doing the work myself. just putting the motor back together and back in the car I could do in a weekend or two and would get me on board for sure
Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Originally Posted by ttt123
What he said /\

I would love a short block option as I would enjoy doing the work myself. just putting the motor back together and back in the car I could do in a weekend or two and would get me on board for sure
Sounds like a good idea. Definetly will consider doing this. Will have news soon.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Thanks!
Pete, where did you get fender louvers done?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:00 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewck
Pete, where did you get fender louvers done?
They're originally Zimspeed parts for 997 GT3RSR, my body & paint guy in Estonia modified them.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:49 PM
Andrewck
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
They're originally Zimspeed parts for 997 GT3RSR, my body & paint guy in Estonia modified them.
Love them! Great looking car
Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts
Thumbs up

Would you be interested in this service?

3.4l Engine rebuild with preventative upgrades.

Regular price $9,999.00

We offer a complete engine rebuild service with the following upgrades. Upgraded Nikasil Liners, IMS Solution, chromoly oil pump shaft, new oil pump, Spin on Oil Filter adapter, magnetic drain plug, Oil Sump extension, underdrive pulley, Low temp thermostat, ARP rod bolts, X51 oil Baffle. This program takes on average 5 weeks of turnaround time. Engine must be shipped to out facility in Laredo Texas..

In order to achieve this affordable price we do much of the work at our facility in Mexico City. First the engine or complete car must be shipped to our warehouse in Laredo Texas. We rebuild the engines by shipping the them to our facility in Mexico City then ship them back to our warehouse in Laredo Texas. After the engine arrives at our Laredo facility, the car is assembled and is sent to any destination in the consecutive US. Price includes labor and return shipping. The whole process takes aproximately 5 weeks from start to finish.
This is a great deal, THUMBS UP!
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Heres a picture of our Nikasil liners installed.

Whats the R/A on that bore? RPK? RVK? Looks mucho aggressive, and looks like an iron liner, not total removal of the parent material from the photos.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:23 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Whats the R/A on that bore? RPK? RVK? Looks mucho aggressive, and looks like an iron liner, not total removal of the parent material from the photos.
I’ll ask our engineer the specs of the measuments.

I know that these Nikasil liners have been running successfully on many cars for years that do track days consistently.

Our mission will be to offer affordable quality engine rebuilds so people can enjoy these cars every day and on the track like the cars that currently run these liners.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I also contacted Jake to talk about building an engine and he set up a time to call and never called

I call BS on a 500 hp m96 motor. Without forced induction, you would need to spin it to 9000 rpm.

Quick Reply: engine options other than ls swap ??