996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking to purchase first porsche 2005 996 C4s

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Recently purchased a 2005 C4S with 56K miles for $32,500. Just as a comparison. Definitely a different experience than the C2 I upgraded from, each has its pluses and minuses. You're going to love this car and the rarity of a 2005 makes it a tad bit more special.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

But here's a beauty on Chicago Craigslist for $29,000 with 47K miles as another comparison.....
Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Chazcamp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update: Seller has offered to replace clutch and IMS For a total sale price of $32,500. I will do I PPI before and if this is the only issue, knowing about the wreck in the first year of the vehicle, what do you guys think about that price? My tentative plan is to keep the car Until another Porsche forces me to sell/upgrade.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazcamp
Update: Seller has offered to replace clutch and IMS For a total sale price of $32,500. I will do I PPI before and if this is the only issue, knowing about the wreck in the first year of the vehicle, what do you guys think about that price? My tentative plan is to keep the car Until another Porsche forces me to sell/upgrade.
Clutch + IMS is worth quite a bit. I'd recommend getting the IMS Solution installed - even if you have the pay the difference. That way you're set and never have to worry about the IMS again. This should also aid in resale when the time comes.

I daily drive mine. My only advice is to have a backup plan for if you're going to be without your car for a week or so - especially if you're going to do the maintenance yourself. I tend to always come across parts I didn't expect to need and the result is waiting 2-3 extra days for the local dealer to get them in stock, or for delivery.

Good luck!

Cheers
Charlie
Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Chaz - HOLD off on this for a few minutes! I may know of a BETTER option for you just right down the street. You may want to PM me if you are serious. It's not my car, I just found out about a local original owner low mileage version that should be on the market very soon.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd walk because of the accident. Not saying that the accident is affecting anything, but you've waited this long. You might as well get one with a clear title.

That being said, clutch + IMS is a good bonus. If you decide on this, make sure oil and filter are inspected for metal particles prior to swap. You might want to work something out where you pay for the while-you're-in-there extras while the engine is out for the IMS - (flywheel if not covered by clutch replacement, RMS, AOS, water pump, coolant expansion tank). As mentioned, I'd also offer to cover the difference for the solution.

If you do move on, and you're planning to spring for the IMS solution on a 4S, you might want to take a look at the Turbo - which will NOT need to have the IMS swapped and allegedly has a very stout motor. It is still incrementally more, but if you were looking at the 993, the turbo is probably in your range.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Chazcamp
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For what its worth and to give the shop all credit deserved, they plan the LN Flat 6 innovation IMS solution and clutch... Not sure about flywheel... I guess the unknown wreck is what is throwing me...

I'm torn, but leaning toward continuing the search...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:14 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

If resale value is of chirf concern, an accident in a car's history is worth considering. Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal. These cars will never be collectors items. Maybe a pristine one owner car with 12k miles, but not a car that's been shifted a few times and has plenty of miles. If a close personal inspection, a lengthy test drive and a PPI come back favorably, I don't see anything holding you back. Seller sounds accommodating and that's worth something.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
"The C4S is not great in snow+ice."
I was corrected by experts here on that issue a long time ago. I thought it would be a great ski-bum car. Nope ! Who new?
I’m surprised to hear this.

I’ve owned now 3 different RWD-only Porsches in the winter and snow, and with the right tires, they can be pretty decent. So the C4 cannot possibly be worse, right?

Maybe it’s that folks expect it to be a 4x4 in the snow, and/or they rationalize that they don’t really need good winter tires because it’s AWD? I realize that the AWD system is designed for performance, not snow traction, but it still powers the rears I hope!

Or maybe folks who aren’t that great of a driver in the snow buy AWD vehicles to help them compensate for their reduced skill, and they realize that AWD Porsche’s with summer tires are sleds in the snow. And then of course you get those “other guys“ who have too much confidence and can drive any RWD in the snow no matter what and say “it’s fine in the snow.”

Regardless, I’m guessing tire choice and skill still are the most important factors.

I stayed away from a C4 because I didn’t want the additional complexity, but if I really was honest with myself, I’d concede that AWD, rear wheel steering, and all the other Porsche engineered goodness that we saw over the years and today really do add up to a slightly better car.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazcamp
For what its worth and to give the shop all credit deserved, they plan the LN Flat 6 innovation IMS solution and clutch... Not sure about flywheel... I guess the unknown wreck is what is throwing me...

I'm torn, but leaning toward continuing the search...
This should be an easy decision IMO--walk away. You said you intend to sell this car down the road when you upgrade to your next Pcar--the accident on the carfax is going to eliminate 80% of the potential buyers. It will not be difficult to find another C4S with 60k miles and IMS done for $32.5k. And that would be a non-wrecked example.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:38 AM
brianbbs67
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbug
This should be an easy decision IMO--walk away. You said you intend to sell this car down the road when you upgrade to your next Pcar--the accident on the carfax is going to eliminate 80% of the potential buyers. It will not be difficult to find another C4S with 60k miles and IMS done for $32.5k. And that would be a non-wrecked example.
This is good advice. Don't be in a hurry. It's not a 959 gruppe B. I don't worry about mine. I drive it. 6 of 7 days a week. 15minutes to the office. 15 minutes home. Not long enough, I know. I have found this car to be dead reliable. could it all fall apart tomorrow? sure. If it fails, i will fix it.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:33 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

**I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread, but...

"I use my truck for work (also work out of town a lot) and the wife and I often take the Wifes car so my DD really only gets like ~7k kms/year (I have a good weather summer car as well)."

^^By definition, that's NOT a DD...
Old 11-14-2017, 11:55 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
That’s my approach with the IMSB as well. Financially speaking, it’s a better approach. If one were to purchase 100 of these cars and proactively replace the IMSB, they’d spend a lot more money than if they just left it alone and replaced failed engines as they came along.

However, the LS3 versus a replacement used engine hasn’t been settled for me. I suspect I could get a replacement engine a lot cheaper than doing the LS swap, but that’s not a fair comparison when we factor in the power gains of the LS motor. The LS-powered 996 behaves more like a 996 Turbo, whereas a 996 with a replacement flat-6 is still a 996. The difference in upfront cost of the LS is probably worth it.
let's not forget the hacking required for LS swap
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 AM
rubenswm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they're offering to replace these items, it makes me wonder how much they really have in this car ... clearly enough cushion where they can afford to cover the cost (though I wonder who will repair, somebody credible?).

Suppose it doesn't really matter from your perspective, but just a thought.

Good luck and hope things work out for you!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

walk away from this car. There is no need in the world to pay a premium price for a car that has a wreck on it. Also, if you can afford 50ishk for a car get the 996 turbo. It will hold its value and has all the benefits and none of the downfalls.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase first porsche 2005 996 C4s