Sponsored by:

Numbers don't match

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 02:10 AM
Davidmichael
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numbers don't match

I recently purchased a 2003 C4S at the local Porsche dealer. The stamped VIN numbers on the car don't match the VIN # in my owner's manual and the sticker attached to my hood. Any suggestions how this could happen?

The owner's manual and the hood sticker match.each other. The list of options don't match the car I bought, nor do the stamped VIN# match the stickers.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds suspicious to me. Could be the car has had a prang and the hood is from another car. Could be the car is stiched together from many bits off many cars. Go back to the dealer asap and ask for "written" explanation.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Something isn't right, you need to get on the phone to PCNA ASAP and have them run the numbers for you to find out why this has happened. They will also be able to provide you with engine and transmission #'s should you want to check those as well. I also concur, get an explanation in writing from the dealer.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 AM
GMS
Pro

The stamped number will be WPOZZZ....... whereas the VIN stcker is WPOAA.........(or similar) this is always the case with Porsche cars. As long as the last numbers match and the VIN plate at the windscreen and door match nothing is wrong. As far as the options, what is different? As the car was bought from an official dealer, simply take the car back or call them and find they will answer any questions. The dealer would have run the car through the used car inspection program before you bought it.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why does everyone jump at conclusions like "suspicious" right away? It could be a simple mistake of switching stickers between two cars. What David should do is go back to his salesman and show him/her the situation. I am certain the mistake will be rectified.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

I talked with Porsche Customer Comitment. The hood Vin is a European # the stamped is American. They have no reason for the options being totally different and said they can't decode or track the car. Totally unhelpful!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Does anyone have a sticker under their hood and in their " Maintenance Sports Cars" handbook that doesn't match the stamped vin # on the car?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:15 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

David,
Before I bought my car I called PCNA and told them the VIN, they gave the full options list that came with the car. There is an 800 number...try 1 800 PORSCHE
Old 12-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Thanks Cab. I called them and they gave me the option list for the car, but said the can't decipher them? Does that make sense? The options according to Porsche USA don't match the options listed on the two stickers with the different VIN number
Old 12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What letters or numbers for the VIN on the 2 white stickers do not match the VIN on your windshield, door sticker, and next to the battery under the plastic window? 5 places to compare.

All 5 match on my 1997 Boxster, but the option codes on the 2 white stickers do not match what is in my car. Many of us change the car, add parts/options, sell parts, or swap parts. Like the trip computer, wheels, colored wheel crests, heated seats, 3 spoke steering wheel, or sell the hard top, and other things. Dealers also swap parts from a car on the lot to put in another car when they have a customer who wants them. What options is your car "missing." This of course would not explain why the VIN does not match.

It would take effort to switch the white sticker under the front hood - that cannot be a mistake. If you look at my picture there are 2 stickers. They are on a roll of waxed paper. The one stuck on the hood is partially stuck on - the waxed paper is peeled away and then the rest of the sticker is pressed on. The second sticker on the waxed paper is put in the maintenance book. It comes from the factory partially stuck on just like in my picture so they cannot be mixed up with another car. Jeff

Old 12-01-2003, 06:04 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Jeff,
Man where do you find this stuff. I'm impressed.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

I was just at the dealership. They said the wrong sticker was stuck to the trunk lid at the factory and cstuck to the manual as well.
Not only do the VINs not match to the three on the body work, the options list on the sticker shows right hand drive etc.
they will try to get a correct one from the factory
Old 12-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See? I told you the dealer would take care of it. No big deal after all.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

that's the first time i've heard of something like this! but the next time it happens i can say i've heard about it before.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

David, didn't you say it was a RHD car?

Is the car an import?

Quick Reply: Numbers don't match