Sponsored by:

New 996, been sitting for 5 years!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 PM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
I'm debating putting the wheels and car (separately or together) up for sale as is and seeing if I can get what I need for it. Nothing definite yet but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or post up here. If I can get close to my number I might let it go and grab a runner. Something to be said for driving next week instead of 2 months from now.
.... or 2 years
Old 07-21-2017, 04:14 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarenB68
.... or 2 years
LOL good point! Though that isn't usually me, I am of the mindset that I need to strike quickly and get it done. When I did my last rebuild (Mustang 302 V8), the time from hatching the idea to driving the car all buttoned back up was about 7 weeks.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:18 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Ok. Here is what I would do. Again, not my money.

Option 1 - Buy eBay motor with a 60 day warranty. As soon as you get it drop the pan and scope the cylinders looking for any damage. Any damage and you are just out shipping. Then put on new IMS, water pump, AOS, plugs and anything else easy to get to. Put in car and drive

Option 2 - buy $500 Porsche 17 inch wheels, put on car, sell as roller for $6000 and then sell the wheels separately for a few grand.

Option 3 - call me and let me know what you paid for it and I'll give you your money back and take it off your hands
Did you see options 3 on this list? I'd reach out if you are going to bail on the project.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:33 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaetee
Did you see options 3 on this list? I'd reach out if you are going to bail on the project.
Sent you a PM
Old 07-21-2017, 05:27 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

I'm debating putting the wheels and car (separately or together) up for sale as is and seeing if I can get what I need for it. Nothing definite yet but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or post up here. If I can get close to my number I might let it go and grab a runner. Something to be said for driving next week instead of 2 months from now.

I am assuming by your username you are in Jersey (LBI)? Might be able to work something out on wheels if you wanted to go that route.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:45 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by shawn_nj
I am assuming by your username you are in Jersey (LBI)? Might be able to work something out on wheels if you wanted to go that route.
Good eye - yes, sent you a PM
Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 PM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are still considering dropping the engine......this might help....

Old 07-23-2017, 09:49 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I know where you could get a full engine rebuild for 6k from someone that's rebuilt at least 10 of these engines. Rebuild includes new cylinder liners and IMS retrofit. You would have to ship the engine to California.

If you're interested send me a PM. Could be a good option for you to enjoy the car if you're not tracking it.

Either do it as cheap as posible or do it
right and get an FSI build.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

It's what the car is worth to the buyer that counts... Buyers want different things, and the right car will bring much more money than another one. This is why BAT works, because there's a good chance that a couple of guys will want THAT car, and they run the prices up against each other. I've analyzed the way these sales go down, and you can see that in the end 2-3 people go at it hard, and the last 10 minutes of an auction can net 2-3k more money.

BAT told me that they are receiving 40+ 996 submissions per week, and they are being very particular about the cars they select.

I added a rare WWII Kubelwagen to my collection this week, so I'm contemplating selling some of my pieces on BAT to downsize a bit.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:03 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It's what the car is worth to the buyer that counts... Buyers want different things, and the right car will bring much more money than another one. This is why BAT works, because there's a good chance that a couple of guys will want THAT car, and they run the prices up against each other. I've analyzed the way these sales go down, and you can see that in the end 2-3 people go at it hard, and the last 10 minutes of an auction can net 2-3k more money.

BAT told me that they are receiving 40+ 996 submissions per week, and they are being very particular about the cars they select.

I added a rare WWII Kubelwagen to my collection this week, so I'm contemplating selling some of my pieces on BAT to downsize a bit.
I think that's fair to say. I just have to decide what I want to do with it and every article I read or build I look at changes my mind. Again I'm into the car for around $7000 so it's not costing me anything to sit on it. I'm just get anxious to drive!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I think that's fair to say. I just have to decide what I want to do with it and every article I read or build I look at changes my mind. Again I'm into the car for around $7000 so it's not costing me anything to sit on it. I'm just get anxious to drive!
Stop listening to people. Make your own considerations and do what you want.

There's always people who want to tell you what to think, but after you make your own decision you won't be governed by what someone has told you to think.

These days when people tell me "I'm going to do my research", what I hear is "I'm going to read a bunch of garbage by people that know less about the issue than I do; but, I am going to believe them anyway".

Misinformation about these cars is rampant.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

There's always people who want to tell you what to think, but after you make your own decision you won't be governed by what someone has told you to think.

These days when people tell me "I'm going to do my research", what I hear is "I'm going to read a bunch of garbage by people that know less about the issue than I do; but, I am going to believe them anyway".

This. So true. And definitely not only in car world.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by moburki
This. So true. And definitely not only in car world.
No one is a leader anymore, we are a society of followers.

People don't want to take the chance of doing something the way they think is best, and potentially face failure.

If someone else doesn't do it, and write about it, or video it, then they don't want to do it...
Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

No one is a leader anymore, we are a society of followers.

People don't want to take the chance of doing something the way they think is best, and potentially face failure.

If someone else doesn't do it, and write about it, or video it, then they don't want to do it...
so true, everyone likes to think they "think outside the box" but few do, and on top of that if you do you can be sidelined and thought of as odd

too many naysayers these days!
Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

I totally agree. I'm taking everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. For example, I'd bet I'm one of the few people on this forum to have rebuilt and swapped a motor into anything. Besides the pros of course.

At the the same time I'm new here and trying to be respectful of what people have to say when they take the time to comment on my thread.

Ive gained a lot of insight so far. Honestly my instinct was to rebuild this block that just seems to be such a foreign option in 996 land. I'm used to American V8s of which I can remove, rebuild and replace in a weekend.

The idea of a used motor for 7-8k is crazy to me but I guess that's this world for 996s.

Quick Reply: New 996, been sitting for 5 years!