Sponsored by:

394mm/390 CCM Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 394mm/390 CCM Brakes!

So they've announced these brakes in the 993 forum and on a post on the Ruf Turbo R thread but I thought it might be okay to start a thread separately as I've been emailing them and am working on getting these...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

I think it is great that they've included the 993's in their line up. And obviously with then larger ring size, they can fit rears with parking brake too.

These won't fit 18" wheels, looks like minimum 19". We've had discussions about 18 vs 19, suspension geometry etc. but quite a few people use 19" and seem to like them. I think I can get reasonable tires sizes in r-comp (nittos/toyos) that I usually use. I have currently asked local wheel guy to see what he can come up with to fit these callipers. (RB's sent me wheel templates and caliper diagrams).

I figure looking at the weights, I can save 10lbs per corner even with the larger wheels/tires.

Will post more when I have wheel info.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

RB also has a iron option in this size I believe, and are also working iron 322mm (stock size/caliper) front and REAR option. So although not perfect (would have to trim the rear pads), it look like they will be able to make a two piece rear rotor for stock calipers too.

All of a sudden lots of options..
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...ccb-por-04.htm

prior discussions 991 gt3 forum about these..
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

Last edited by Basal Skull; 03-19-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Their description states it'll fit OE wheels. So shouldn't it fit some 18" aftermarket?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I think they've just copied the description from their 991 offering/description. It would be nice if we can find a 18 that would fit, but the dia of the brakes/caliper is 448mm or 17.64". They recommend 3mm clearance between the caliper and wheel (on both sides which is 2x3mm=6mm). So need 454mm = 17.9" inside barrel dia. So wouldn't have much material to build a wheel from with 0.1" unfortunately. Looking though.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think such a big rotor is needed. I have the smaller Brembo setup and it worked great when the car made 570+ HP. The stock brakes faded at PIR and Thunderhill, but these never faded. I'm not suggesting to get Brembos, just suggesting that the bigger BBK isn't needed if you want to stick w 18's
Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The bigger brakes I agree aren't needed and I'm the first to say most of the time bigger brakes increase unspuring weight and hurt performance (same for larger wheels). The new tech is lighter and I think can be a weight savings even with the larger wheels. There is a smaller option with pccbs but they are more expensive, and the smaller rotor sizes ceramic brakes don't last/seems they fail more often. These larger ccm rotors seem more durable. So increased size for rotor durability and still get weight loss... My car is faster with lighter wheels/tires, just looking for the weight savings (and benefits of longer life/less brake dust etc. hopefully 19" tires don't cause loss of performance. At least that's what I'm thinking currently.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Rotational mass comparing weight savings on brakes offset by bigger wheels is interesting.

Wonder what the relationship is between the two?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
The bigger brakes I agree aren't needed and I'm the first to say most of the time bigger brakes increase unspuring weight and hurt performance (same for larger wheels). The new tech is lighter and I think can be a weight savings even with the larger wheels. There is a smaller option with pccbs but they are more expensive, and the smaller rotor sizes ceramic brakes don't last/seems they fail more often. These larger ccm rotors seem more durable. So increased size for rotor durability and still get weight loss... My car is faster with lighter wheels/tires, just looking for the weight savings (and benefits of longer life/less brake dust etc. hopefully 19" tires don't cause loss of performance. At least that's what I'm thinking currently.
The weight saving is only one of the advantages of CCM. If you read my publication comparing between CCM and Iron (link below) you will notice #6,7,8,9 are the most distinguished characteristics that are needed in today's super muscle cars braking that can't be substituted with traditional iron rotors.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...mystified.html

Reading tip; Yellow is in favor of Iron, Green is in favor of CCM

We also offer iron replacement for ZR1 and Camaro Z28 which come with factory CCM brakes, but very few replacing to iron like guys with pccb.

Why? my observation is those pccb in early years not only the material was not well made, but the sizes was simply inadequate: 350x34/350x28 or even 380x34/350x28 was way too small (volume wise*) compare to modern CCB.

* See footnote about CCM will run ~25% higher in temperature than Iron (with same size/volume)

Porsche 991 GT3 pccb: 410x36/390x32
Audi R8 (2016): 420x40/360x32
BMW M3/M4 CCB option (2015+): 400x38/380x28
BMW M5 CCB Option (2015+): 410x38/396x26
Ferrari F458 (default): 394x36/360x32
Mercedes S/GTS:402x39/360x32
Viper ACR-Extreme (default): 390x34
As you can see nothing is smaller than 390x34, and the brake pad is huge (190x85mm vs. 997 GT3's 65mm).

We also noticed those early pccb the rotor hats are made of stainless steel like Ferrari F430/F360, so it adds 3/4 lbs each back to the rotor assembly, so although they are small but actually weighs more than those modern larger CCM rotors with aluminum hats.

We have done extensive research for various OE CCM set up before we started developing those kits for 911, and believe this is the ultimate CCM brake system for all Porsche owners to enjoy the latest braking technology w/o the worry of fragility, and scary rotor replacement cost charged by Prosche dealers.

We will also have iron replacement rotors as back up in case you are still not quit used to run "CCM" only set up like Corvette/Camaro guys.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Well, I appreciate the posts and pm's. But I want to try these so have ordered set of wheels. For reference Fikse Profil series in 19" will fit over these. They make good wheels (I have fm-10's). So have just ordered Profil 5S. in front 52mm and rear 40mm offsets. Should be okay with the camber I run.
The space saver won't fit, and there's really no reasonable tire I can use for smaller spare wheel in 19" anyways. I may find a 19" front wheel that fit to use as a spare when going to tracks further away as one of my friends do.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's good news that there is an aftermarket 19" wheels can fit these kits. Meantime we have added/updated links to complete this presentation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Following links are updated to #3 and #4 post:

Brake kit assembly dwgs
Fitment template link

Item and pricing link
Old 03-25-2016, 01:53 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I appreciate the posts and pm's. But I want to try these so have ordered set of wheels. For reference Fikse Profil series in 19" will fit over these. They make good wheels (I have fm-10's). So have just ordered Profil 5S. in front 52mm and rear 40mm offsets. Should be okay with the camber I run.
The space saver won't fit, and there's really no reasonable tire I can use for smaller spare wheel in 19" anyways. I may find a 19" front wheel that fit to use as a spare when going to tracks further away as one of my friends do.
R, are you using your stock calipers with upgraded Rotors?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Jody, I've ordered the full kit with big RB CCM rotors/hats, and RB Calipers with big pads... We will see if I actually save any weight, don't think I'm going to get 10lbs that I was hoping for on each corner but will weigh everything that comes off and goes on! Fikse's are pretty light and with the tires sizes/available I'm using which end up being slightly narrower than the largest tires I can fit on 18's, I think I will end up ahead weight wise. Then I can see if it ultimately means anything with respect to handing and track times.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 PM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jody, I've ordered the full kit with big RB CCM rotors/hats, and RB Calipers with big pads... We will see if I actually save any weight, don't think I'm going to get 10lbs that I was hoping for on each corner but will weigh everything that comes off and goes on! Fikse's are pretty light and with the tires sizes/available I'm using which end up being slightly narrower than the largest tires I can fit on 18's, I think I will end up ahead weight wise. Then I can see if it ultimately means anything with respect to handing and track times.
Awesome man. I ask because I have a set of F430 rotors I picked up a while back for my CL and did not end up using them. They weigh in at 11 lbs fronts and 7 lbs rear. Incredibly light. I will see if I could source some hats and play around with calipers. It's a project for the summer.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ cool project!

The best I can figure out without actually weighing everything myself:
big red calipers 10.8lbs rear 8.25 lbs
RB aluminum calipers ?4.5lbs - will have to confirm.

giro disc rings 322 rotor 15.8lb, rotor and hat 18.2
stock front rotor and hat >20lbs
rear rotor hat 17.6lb

RB ccm rotor ccm rotors 11lbs, rotors and hat 13.5lbs

So estimate, I'll loose 7 lbs cf stock (and 5 lbs giros) in the front and 4 lbs in the rear for the rotor/hats.
For the calipers loose: 6 lbs front, 4 lbs back.

Will need to weigh the new wheels/tires. Actually might get close to 10 lbs unsprung weight per corner!

Quick Reply: 394mm/390 CCM Brakes!