Can someone recommend a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 08:27 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone recommend a shop?

I live in Mountain View, Ca and was wondering if any of the local guys around here could recommend a trustworthy shop to perform a PPI and/or leakdown test? I found a 993TT that is very worth checking into.

Thanks all.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

if its a black over cashmere thats Anthonies and he
has every record for his car, but there has to be many
dealers in your area. Of course you may not want to take
it to a dealer for a PPI.
OG
Old 08-31-2003, 01:43 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Stealers:
Rector ( Burlingame )
Carlsen ( Redwood City )
Anderson Biehl ( San Jose )

Independents:
Modderman ( Mountain View )
Heyer ( Mountain View )
CT Automotive ( Campbell )

I'd go with CT automotive first. They are very well respected in this area.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:46 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jeff, I'll give them a call. Do you mind me using your name as a reference? Is there any one there you suggest I speak to?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

You should speak to Don Wise (??) at CT Automotive. You are free to use my name, but it probably won't carry any weight. I've never been there personally, but know of many, many rennlisters who swear by their expertise.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, this is just sinking in. You are thinking of buying Anthony's car? His car is in great shape.

Leakdown / compression tests are generally not done on these cars during a PPI. It the car is in good shape and has been cared for, then generally nothing to really worry about. Also, you have to take half the car apart to get to the spark plugs.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:02 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't believe this is Anthony's car. Its a blk/blk TT not a blk/cashmere.

Ok perhaps, a leakdown test is not really needed. The previous owner had one of the turbo's replaced at Carlsen because he reported smoke coming from the right side exhausts upon start-up. From reading the archive, it looks like it could have been a somewhat leaky turbo? That is what they concluded and replaced under warranty, however it was supposedly mis-diagnosed. The Tech could never reproduce the problem.

Due to the lack of miles on this car, I think it was the puff of smoke everyone gets when they don't drive these cars for awhile. So when the owner took it to the shop, the tech couldn't reproduce it. As a precaution, so I'm told, they replaced the turbo.

The car is a bit lowered - just so the wheel well's meet the tire nicely. There is still consistent space between the wheels and the fenders. It doesn't appear to have seen the track, looks like it was done mostly for cosmetics. I want to have a PPI done to identify the springs and struts as well. The car has 16k miles and the finish of the car looks immaculate.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by mkhn
Ok perhaps, a leakdown test is not really needed. The previous owner had one of the turbo's replaced at Carlsen because he reported smoke coming from the right side exhausts upon start-up. From reading the archive, it looks like it could have been a somewhat leaky turbo? That is what they concluded and replaced under warranty, however it was supposedly mis-diagnosed. The Tech could never reproduce the problem.

Due to the lack of miles on this car, I think it was the puff of smoke everyone gets when they don't drive these cars for awhile. So when the owner took it to the shop, the tech couldn't reproduce it. As a precaution, so I'm told, they replaced the turbo.
Don't worry about the smoking issue. It's a well known problem, and your turbo was probably just fine:

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_engine.html#000310

I went to carlsen and they mis diagnosed my problem and replaced both turbos. I regret that now, but it's already done. Those guys are Carlsen are a bunch of idiots!
Old 09-02-2003, 02:04 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Do you know how the car was lowered? Springs (factory vs. HR for example) or were the modified to coilovers like a PSS9?

Actually, I thought Anthony's car had a black interior. But if the car was lowered, it is not Anthony's. If you are looking for other opinions on the car, there are a number of us close by that would be willing to lend an eye...

Good luck..
Old 09-02-2003, 03:55 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CT Automotive, T&D, et al are well known and longtime high quality shops. The density of very good Porsche shops in the bay area is astounding. Do a search on this site. The same question has been asked several times here.

Quick Reply: Can someone recommend a shop?