Sponsored by:

Turbo returning home

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013 | 11:25 PM
techsis
Pro

Default Turbo returning home

I am bringing my turbo home next week.

A few items surfaced on the PPIU performed at RAC. I conceded to the basics... installing new Michelin tires, windshield wipers, front brake disks, brake flush, alignment, standard service (oil, filter), air filter, turbo oil line, boost pressure sensor. These items are being performed and should be finished in a few days.

On the surprising side, my service prover RAC, informed me that some of my gaskets (valve, timing) could be weeping oil. Under normal circumstances this would have offered a potential upgrade opportunity, but my current scenario only offers a chance to hold onto my turbo.

I am going to have a check valve installed to prevent the potential back feed of oil for longer periods of storage.

The areas in question are going to cleaned and then it can be determined if this resolves the so called 'weeping' issues or if a more invasive processes is warranted.

I have spoken with my wife (who has always been against each of the Porsche sales) and she fully understands my logic and my path forward.

I disclose this information as I am obligated to share the details with my Rennlist friends.

Funny thing is, I get my Turbo back next week.

Best to you and all of your families!
Old 07-01-2013 | 12:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Best of luck with your wife and the car!
Old 07-01-2013 | 01:03 AM
techsis
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Best of luck with your wife and the car!
My wife is doing great and I am now struggling to keep pace with her I truly feel blessed

I will be installing the MY02 wheel/tires on her return.

Cheers,

John
Old 07-01-2013 | 10:07 AM
Texas993
Race Car

I am not sure what issues are of concern or unusual. Those are all typical age-related maintenance items. And weeping seals are not worth fixing until they become a problem.

But.... if it is enough to make you keep the car ... I like the logic!
Old 07-01-2013 | 01:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oil leaks from valve covers and cam covers is normal now that these cars are 15+ years old, and its just natural that the rubber gets less pliable and does not seal as well. I am not sure what modifications you would do when replacing the valve covers gaskets - certainly nothing internal to the engine, you possibly mean upgrading the turbos?
Old 07-01-2013 | 01:56 PM
techsis
Pro

I was told that if I replaced the gaskets it would involve dropping the engine. Instead of upgrade, I should have stated updates - motor mounts, temp head sensor, plugs & wires, knock sensor, cam shaft sensor, isv, vacuum hoses, diverter valve, clutch slave, & power steering pump belt.

I will bring her home and perhaps rethink my entire approach. Just too many variables Two "done" deals on the turbo fell through for funding issues. The on the market, off the market status flips also caused buyer confusion. I think I will remove the tint (always garaged anyway), reinstall the rear windshield wiper and reinstall the stock stereo head unit (rarely listen to music when driving her). It seems closer to stock is preferred in this market, but I draw the line at removing the PSS10 suspension.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013 | 02:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by techsis
I was told that if I replaced the gaskets it would involve dropping the engine.
Your are kidding that RAC told you that the engine needs dropping if the leak is valve covers or chain covers, right?
Old 07-01-2013 | 02:54 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Your are kidding that RAC told you that the engine needs dropping if the leak is valve covers or chain covers, right?
+1
Old 07-01-2013 | 03:00 PM
techsis
Pro

Camshaft Housing Gasket, Timing Cover Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket and Timing Cover Housing(?).

I was told that this requires the engine to be dropped. Does it not?
Old 07-01-2013 | 03:00 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
+2 Sounds like they are trying to make some money. The majority of those 'updates' should be done on an as needed basis and can be done with the engine in the car. The plug wires are a PITA but can be done with the engine installed.
Old 07-01-2013 | 03:01 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by techsis
Camshaft Housing Gasket, Timing Cover Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket and Timing Cover Housing(?).

I was told that this requires the engine to be dropped. Does it not?
Hell no!
Old 07-01-2013 | 04:43 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
+2 Sounds like they are trying to make some money. The majority of those 'updates' should be done on an as needed basis and can be done with the engine in the car. The plug wires are a PITA but can be done with the engine installed.
+3. My tech encourages me NOT to replace anything unless it needs to be done. He says "they really got these 993tt's right, so spend your money on gas, not parts." Me likey my tech. May be too late for you but we agreed anything the PPI turned up would be covered by the seller. It came with new tires, not 'cause the old ones were worn out but because they were 14 years old! Collectors don't change tires on cars the do 600 miles a year. Have fun with your new purchase.
Old 07-01-2013 | 08:39 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Fix the gasket, keep the car....I'm down with that logic!
Old 07-01-2013 | 11:28 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

As with almost any ppi, things will come up. Those findings should(for the most part) be part of the negotiations with a potential buyer. Deciding to keep it and repairing the findings is great idea but if you do decide to sell it, let the next owner worry about those findings but the sold price should reflect it.

When I purchased my previous 94 turbo the shop that did the ppi said they found several items that needed attention. The repairs would exceed $3.5k. The seller was selling the car for $59k, we agreed on $53.5. In the end the repairs cost me $5.5k. So the total cost to get into the car was $59k but the car ran flawless and did not leak one drop of oil in the 3+ years I owned it.

John(as well as Mike..jk) I wish you and your wife great strength, she sounds like your rock.

Quick Reply: Turbo returning home