Sponsored by:

RIP - Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP - Clutch Pedal

So I just read that a manual transmission will NOT be available on the 2014 Porsche Turbo. This should not be shocking after learning that GT3's are all now automatics as well.

I understand that the PDK's are faster. A computer can actuate the clutch and shift gears way faster than any human.

I would also say that a computer could probably drive a race car around a track faster than a human and could do so consistently lap after lap.

That all said, for me, as a non-competitor, just enthusiast driver, there is something engaging about a manual transmission that I am not certain I would get from a PDK.

My friend is going to let me drive his 997 Turbo S with a PDK and believes it will change my life.

If you COULD choose a manual on a new Turbo or GT3, knowing the PDK is faster, which would you choose?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I choose 993 turbo. Spend a few bucks and its as fast as the new stuff anyway. I stopped caring when they started using water to cool the motors.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I brought up the GT3 non-manual-shifting issue a while ago on the forum - and lots of debate, seems the predominant thought was manual (but what would you expect from a 993 forum).

I also heard that Porsche is reconsidering its position with the GT3, and may offer a manual as an "option", which means $$$. Have not heard if that is finalized yet.

The same might go for the Turbo - perhaps the market will speak, but I suspect there are lots of turbo owners out there who are part of the gold chain crowd, and having a PDK will not be an issue, in fact it makes it easier to drink their latte's while driving.

To me, its the level of engagement with the car, I like to control it, not have it control me. There is just too much electronics/gizmos/'aids' these days. My friend showed my his fancy new car the other day, with many cameras and aids to park - give me a break, you spend more time watching the screens than actually getting skills on where your car is, and how to place it.

Anyways, the chances I will every own a 991 Turbo is zero for many reasons, and I am quite happy with my 993 Turbo, even if it does not have a PDK...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

While driving my son-in-law down to Laguna Seca in Rufus for the ALMS this past weekend, he asked me what car I would choose if I won the lottery. I am so happy to own Rufus that I can't think of a better "weekend toy" that I'd rather have. Its utterly reliable, utterly driveable (now with 133,000+ miles), faster than hell, looks amazing, and still fun to drive. If I didn't have Rufus, I'd probably have a GT3 (with clutch pedal). I like to drive, and I don't want electronics getting in my way. I'm barely comfortable with an electric starter motor, but I'm getting used to that.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

I just traded my Turbo 2010 997.2 - with PDK - for a new Boxster S for my wife (with PDK) and then the following week, bought from a friend of mine his gorgeous 1997 993tt with 22,500 miles on it. My new to me 993tt is such a satisfying ride, it is not hard to explain really as it fills a void I had ever since I took delivery of the 997.2 which although blindingly fast - was simply not for me. That said, I was offered a slot from my dealer for a 991tt or GT3 which I might take WHEN they make it in a stick...AND sport exhaust (on the turbo). My salesman told me "came from the highest level in Germany - no stick" to which I replied, there is one higher level than the executive team at VWMG....and that's The CUSTOMER who I am certain will win this battle of wills. I am very satisfied with my car set up and likely keep the 993tt for a long time in addition to my 991tt if/ when they produce it with a stick and sport exhaust. I have to think, this is what the target market wants? I will not make the same mistake again - PDK and a 'barely' there exhaust note is simply not for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I like rowing gears. Not looking for faster or easier. There is alwyas a faster car out there. The added plus is, "burden of entry". Meaning not everyone can drive my cars.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LexVan
I like rowing gears. Not looking for faster or easier. There is alwyas a faster car out there. The added plus is, "burden of entry". Meaning not everyone can drive my cars.
Interesting point - perhaps in the future having a stick will become an anti-theft device! I know quite a few people who cannot drive stick already ...
Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

I wonder if they took care of the coolant pipes leaking issue that is present on all water cooled turbos and gt3s, unless they have been pinned or reglued?
btw I also prefer manual over pdk, so I guess I won't be ordering a 991 turbo
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, know about that issue, its a bit ugly for sure. Who the hell designed that piece anyways? There seems to be some solutions for that floating around, like the pinning you mentioned, and I am not sure if that was not fixed/redesigned on the later cars (I would hope so).
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

can you run a PDK car against the rev limiter or will it shift in spite of your wishes? not that you want to do this all the time but there are places you'd prefer the control
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Interesting point - perhaps in the future having a stick will become an anti-theft device! I know quite a few people who cannot drive stick already ...
Interesting point back at ya! I was thinking more along the lines of wife, brother in-laws, and kids, but you bring up a good point.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:01 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Interesting that I read an article recently about a carjacking that went afoul because the carjacker attempted to drive away with the stolen car but didn't know how to drive a stick, which the car he stole was equipped with. After stalling a few times, he got out of the car and fled on foot.

A manual transmission is absolutely a theft deterrent in 21st century America, for a moronic thief. And most carjackers are morons.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

+1
There was a car jacker who couldn't start the car (needed to depress the clutch) - couldn't even do it with the owner giving him instructions !
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I really don't care if the new GT3 is PDK or not. It's not a car I would consider. 997.1-2 GT3 RS seems just right but still a large car which is a pity. 996 GT2's are fetching.

I'd like to try a modern PDK but it would seem to force you to go auto with mundane driving and that just makes it a gimmick when you are paddle shifting unless you are on track. I guess when you are on the twisties use it but when back on the freeway/city go auto? Seems fishy, contrived. And the rest of the car doesn't seem particularly 'hardcore' like the previous versions - that may be the bigger problem for me. Not lusting after it like the the previous versions and that could change. 4 wheel steering too? Come'on, that's got to be a sign the car is too big. Does the hood have airbags for pedestrians too? Keep those centerlocks to spec - oh and if you want to change tires - better bring it to the dealer or the warrantee is void. Sorry - it's a slippery slope.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

Just drove the new Cayman with its 6 speed manual, it is so silky smooth I cannot bear the idea of someone getting the PDK. I also cannot understand someone paying $90K for it either. Its a great car, but $90K?

Quick Reply: RIP - Clutch Pedal