Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19" tire/wheel help

[ATTACH][ATTACH]695340

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 05-23-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Trying my hand at attaching photos now. Any insight into tire size for the Ruf 19" wheels? I had posted a prior topic on choosing the right tire and I went with the consensus but I think I chose the wrong brand of tire. Looks pretty bad. Can't believe it.
Too much of the rim shows and the sidewall is so "stretched" it looks, well....bad. The tire size is a 295/30/19 on an 11" Ruf replica rim from Rotec.
The front tire looks fine in fact I'll try to post a pic of it-but the sidewall is vertical and looks very nice. The back looks stretched like it's begging to explode (I know it's safe). Literally i think the side wall is at a 35 degree angle-that just can't be right.

of the two pics i have here one is obvious showing the rim too much of course. But the other may be a lil hard to understand. I was working on my mufflers last evening (yet another post) and I took this picture whilst under the car and behind the rear wheel. YOU CAN READ THE SIDE WALL FROM BEHIND THE TIRE!!!!! THIS IS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE SIDE WALL IS SO STRETCHED. I THINK THAT'S WRONG. 35 DEGREE ANGLE SIDEWALL?
I know others have this tire size with success. I chose the wrong brand. Never thought there would be this much disparity amongst different brands.

Luckily the tire place will exchange but i must stay in the Bridgestone line. And there are no other options. I must go to a 305/30/19. I know it's too big. But how atrocious will it be? Chime in plz.
I did exactly what Rotec recommended and I thought I really did my diligence with an opinion post but despite all that it looks like I've succeeded only in paving this road with good "intentions".

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 01-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

295 width should work on an 11" rim with no problem. I have used both 305 and 315 on 11" and they will work also. The key of course is maintaining the same diameter front and rear. Try to upload a few more pictures from the side that show the entire wheel and tire.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Scott,

Oh thank God.....so you've used a 305/30/19 and it worked/looked okay? whew!!!!

the 315 you mentioned had to have been a 25 series though? you couldn't have done a 315/30 that would have been madness....I think.

And I would mate the 305/30 to a 255/35 on the front. Wider than I would prefer but it matches good with the back. I'm 5% over the oem tires which is a no no. But I could remember Mike saying that is less important than keeping the front and back in close relation to EACH OTHER than variance from OEM specs.

I was and still am worried that the 305/30's are going to either rub or look like vette tires...eeewww.

still at work, will snap a couple more pics and post tomorrow

Joe
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, the difference between the rolling diameter of front and back wheels is the key metric for the AWD. Width, offsets and profile % is key for clearances.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have run into this same issue before with this tire on these cars. The OD is fine but 11" is the outside range of Bridgestone's rim range for it. The listed section width is 11.9", which means once on the wheel (1/2" of lip each side) what you end up with is a tire that is very square on the rim. Some are OK with it, some are not.

The tires have a 30 day buy and try guarantee from Bridgestone so they can be returned to where you bought them from if you choose.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Thanks for chiming in Damon. My wife is gonna kill me I'll never get home. But I just had to say that with the forum's blessing I was going to do the exchange (can't do a return with the 30 ride and try-you can exchange so I must get another Bridgestone).

But what I was going to exchange it for was the 305/30/19 "Potenza RE050A n1 or n0 Porsche"

I would not have brought this up to anyone else but I find this shocking:

the tread width for that tire is listed as 12.5'' whereas the SAME size tire potenza s04 is 10.5"

How is that possible? I could see a lil difference sure among lines and brands BUT 2" difference, that's very odd

That's either a 305 that's a lot wider than it's supposed to be or my s04 is a lot more narrow than it's supposed to be, or a combo of both.

But hey I don't really mind b/c I'm relying on that disparity to fix my dilemma

Strange huh?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes upload some pics so we can see the entire tire.

Front vs back too.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Attachment 695456

Attachment 695457

well here is more, couldn't take from distance b/c it's raining here in the northeast and i don't want to take her outside and get wet

but you can see the front tire is nice vertical sidewall, the back almost looks like a totally different tire. it looks like there is another ring or sidewall fold in the tire but actually its not-that's what the stretching does to it.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Attachment 695462

literally looks like this tire front is a totally different tire. how is that possible? again, the back tire looks like there are decorative rings in the sidewall (not the case).

and these are the recommended tire size for these wheels

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All season tires tend to have a bit skinnier tread width to them than summer-only tires do. In this case the 295 BS is also a bit skinnier than average for its size. As a result the combination is yielding a tire that in the end is skinnier than you want it to be.

The 305 RE050 is a more square tire and should give you what you are looking for.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow the diff between front and rear is substantial. I have RE050 PP on my factory hollow spokes with factory sizes. They don't have any issues but they are strictly summer tires, not all seasons.

It is strange how the fronts look perfectly normal.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

how is the finish on those rims btw? are you pleased with them so far? you should be sure to inspect them regularly for failure if these are the low cost ones made in China.
curious why you are running 19" all seasons?
good luck with the fitment issues.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Donno, Are Rottec wheels made in Canada? I thought Rottec was a small company from Canada owned by a "guy" that posts on this forum at times. That's why I purchased it from them. I would hope they make them.
anyone? Does Rottec make them. I thought they did.

Anyway why all seasons? I intend to drive the car year round. Only on sunny days etc 1-2/wk on average. Just back and forth to work. 5 miles a trip. Thought I'd be helping the gaskets and keeping her sharp all year.
I'll certainly never need the ice and snow aspects of the all season tire b/c i wont drive it in that due to all the rock salt corrosion out there. BUT.....summer tires at near freezing temperatures are dangerous. Very dangerous. They turn to hockey pucks in those temperatures and will break loose....all seasons will not. They will be soft year round. And have safe 4 season driving. Albeit with a small summer grip compromise.
Now all that's moot I guess b/c Bridgestone decided to make tires that are 2" narrower than another same size tire in their line. So no more hard corners in January for me anymore.

How bout it Damon.....is that about right? Those specifications I listed a couple of replies ago are indeed correct aren't they? Bridgestone makes one tire (the Potenza RE050A n1 or n0 Porsche) and it's 12.5" wide at the tred. Then another tire similar to mine (the s04 pole position) in the SAME EXACT size is 10.5" wide. That's 2"!!!! That's your own Tire Rack Data. That is confusing. I don't think a company should manufacture two performance tires that are the EXACT same size yet one is two inches narrower than the other. I could see a fraction of an inch, even a quarter or half an inch....but two inches?
And they say size doesn't matter ha! 2" wider and my tires would more than fit.
Sorry, I'm still angry. i did nothing wrong and now I'm stuck in this Bridgestone line forced to buy tires i don't want and in the size i dont want. GGGGRRRRRR!!!!

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 01-15-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The Rottec wheels are manufactured in China, and Ray ("the guy"), who lives in Canada, purchases, warehouses, sells and support them through his company Rottec. Ray can talk about certifications, but I think they are TUV approved. Personally, I call them CUFs, (Chinese rUFS ... Lol!).

There are some differences, like the 993 RUFS are 10" in the rear and offset for the NB cars, while the CUFs are 11" for the rears, and the new ones are offset for the WB cars, and will not fit on the NB cars. I have not compared the weights, but I suspect the RUFs and CUFs are similar. Not sure about strength though I prefer my RUFs for track use... :-)

I know on my RUFs that the tire design impacts the look of the wheel. Some tires are more rounded, some more square. This really impacts the size of the tire at the inside rim vs the tread profile. With my RUFs, the wheels themselves are proud of the tire. I am running Sumi III's, and the 19" selections suck, so the size is a bit of a compromise. The wheels are off the car right now (winter) and stored, so I cannot get you a shot.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 19" tire/wheel help