Advice on buying between Turbo vs C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jo-hans
It's the Turbo in Calgary and the C2S in Victoria?

What have you decided?
And what have YOU decided on?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
And what have YOU decided on?
Priorities on non material things right now. But a real RUF would be nice one day.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

A slightly different opinion, from a purely driving experience POV.

This past Sunday I took out the 993 4S for a 2 hour early morning drive - cool air, empty and winding country roads, and the unique wail of the Porsche NA 6 (FD 2 mufflers, Dach X pipe). I was pushing the car 80-90%, my personal safety limit. Very memorable drive.

I doubt I could have had more fun had I chosen to drive the 993 TT (GT2) or the 997 GT3. Had I pushed either car to the same level, I might have ended up in a ditch. I think there is a lot to be said about matching a car's capacities with the driver's abilities. Again, from a purely driving experience POV. YMWV.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carlos993
A slightly different opinion, from a purely driving experience POV.

This past Sunday I took out the 993 4S for a 2 hour early morning drive - cool air, empty and winding country roads, and the unique wail of the Porsche NA 6 (FD 2 mufflers, Dach X pipe). I was pushing the car 80-90%, my personal safety limit. Very memorable drive.

I doubt I could have had more fun had I chosen to drive the 993 TT (GT2) or the 997 GT3. Had I pushed either car to the same level, I might have ended up in a ditch. I think there is a lot to be said about matching a car's capacities with the driver's abilities. Again, from a purely driving experience POV. YMWV.
Hmmm - pushing any 993 to 80-90% on a public road?

I have about 10 years of ownership in NA 993's, and now over a year with the Turbo, and my observations are slightly different. The power from the Turbo is very linear and not sudden, so it feels like a C4S with an extra 120+HP available if you need it. You don't have to use that power but it's great to have it there. Do I drive faster with the Turbo than the NA? - perhaps for short squirts but otherwise I keep it down on the streets, driving the same was as my NA car. I have only tracked the car once since I had it, and it was interesting that I had to hold back given there were NA 993's on the track as well (especially on the straights), but I still had major fun. Did not have that issue with the NA car.

I do gain some safety with the Turbo when passing on two lane roads - that I have noticed. Also, if the car is in a bit of trouble, that extra power comes really handy, if you are understeering for instance the front end will pull itself in really nicely.

I like have the extra capabilities built into the car, I can elect to use them, but I find that it does not make it any less enjoyable going for a cruise by having a car with more capabilities.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 I've used the front diff to pull out of understeer its alot of fun too.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

When returning from a drive over the special roads that are near your home you will never say to yourself, "this would have been more fun if this car only had less power". The tt is magic, there is no price to pay (other than acquisition cost) relative to a NA. Plus there is a secret handshake.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeeze man, you had to mention the SECRET handshake ... now the questions wil be fly'n...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
When returning from a drive over the special roads that are near your home you will never say to yourself, "this would have been more fun if this car only had less power". The tt is magic, there is no price to pay (other than acquisition cost) relative to a NA. Plus there is a secret handshake.
I like your signature, especially the point about the motorcycles, been there done that and I still haven't learned probably cause its too much fun.

Oh and I had a 96 C4S for a few years back in 2001 and I liked it but I didn't find it had enough power to have fun with it on the track. I am considering another 993 if I ever let my 993 RS Inspired Track Car go and there is no question it will be a 993tt.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Well Carm, I can tell you this. When I first got my permit to drive in 1963 I got a 125 Lambretta. I rode that little sucker 60 miles to Marlboro Raceway to see Roger Penske among others. Then a CB77 Super Hawk...next a Triumph Bonneville and on it goes for fifty years and over thirty bikes. Old now and still I prowl e bay for cool bikes. What I love about Porsche is that wherever you are in your life, they have a car for you to pine for. Makes me feel young. This is a company that doesn't abandon you. There is no other.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Well Carm, I can tell you this. When I first got my permit to drive in 1963 I got a 125 Lambretta. I rode that little sucker 60 miles to Marlboro Raceway to see Roger Penske among others. Then a CB77 Super Hawk...next a Triumph Bonneville and on it goes for fifty years and over thirty bikes. Old now and still I prowl e bay for cool bikes. What I love about Porsche is that wherever you are in your life, they have a car for you to pine for. Makes me feel young. This is a company that doesn't abandon you. There is no other.
Hear hear on the there is no other and very cool story you have.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying between Turbo vs C2S