Battery issues/Intelligent trickle chargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues/Intelligent trickle chargers

Hello guys,

Was wondering if any of you guys use a intelligent trickle charger that works well and is safe for our TT's? My battery slowly started to get weak as the seasons changed, and is completely dead now. I did a 10 hour slow 2A charge about a week ago with a regular automotive charger (charger in good working order), and the battery is completely dead and did not absorb any juice. is this battery dead for good? And if it is and I purchase another, how could I prevent this from happening again and what is the best batteries for our little monsters!?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If your battery is more than 3 or 4 years old, and sees some long periods of disuse, then its probably best to replace it. I don't think it matters what brand... just get the right size as there is very little space in the compartment. Its best if you can plug a 12V source into your cigarette lighter to avoid losing your radio and ECU codes when the battery gets disconnected. I try to drive my car at least once a week to keep everything charged and the juices flowing. What is your usage pattern?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM
trackMonkey
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the ctek 3300 on all my cars, couldn't be happier. Even has a mode for AGM batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FQBWCY
Old 12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I use the Porsche battery tender.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

Hello there,

Thanks for replying boys!

I don't know how old the battery is, for I just purchased the car last Febuary, and did not have any problems until this fall, and like I said earlier, it wont even hold a charge anymore. As far as my usage pattern goes........ It was my first year with this beast, and would take it out almost every day, some times for a quikie and most of the time for a nice long cruse consisting of aggressive and calm driving. So, as far a usage go's, I think I have that covered, BUT! Because of our winter climate here in Toronto, Canada...... The car will be sitting lonely for 5-6 months, hense my interest in a intelligent trickle charger. Mind you........ When I noticed the car struggling to turn over at start up's, the battery would hold some sort of a charge because of my cruse, and would not hesitate to turn over if I were to shut it off and restart. It was like the battery was 100% charged. Thoughts on this?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

I have the same issue with not driving mine much at all given its use as a race car. It has long increments of sitting. I've been using a battery tender for a few years. Works great. Its stays plugged in most of the year. The version I have is this one:

http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 807 Posts

I don't use a battery tender. even sitting for over 3 weeks, the car starts up no problem.

interstate mp something
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Little Tanker,

If it were me, I'd start by replacing the battery. If you'd rather investigate, then pull the battery caps off and inspect with a flashlight. Look for any signs of sulfaization (is this a word?) of the plates. Also check the water level and top up with distilled water. I doubt this will help. Once you have a properly charging battery in the car, then go get one of the charger/maintainers mentioned here.

You have a battery of unknown age and condition that won't hold a charge for even a week. Why screw around with that?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 395 Posts

+1 what Steve said. go get a new battery and tender and your are done. be sure battery vents through venting tube.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine at Sears about 8 years ago. Works great with no issues. I use it all the time.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
+1 what Steve said. go get a new battery and tender and your are done. be sure battery vents through venting tube.
+1

Use a CTEK charger myself. It has kept my batteries in shape the last 10 years. My Ducati from 2002 i still on it´s original battery. I don´t know the age or history of the battery in my turbo but I haven´t needed to change that yet after about five years. The CTEK charger has saved a lot of my closest friends and family´s batteries. It is one of my better investments. Everyone should have one in their household.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I just bought a CTEK 3300 after doing some research on the board

$52.00 shipped off eBay. Brand new in box. Haven't installed it yet.

Based on their propaganda, their chargers can recondition and/or desulphatize (judges, can we have a ruling on this word) a battery in bad shape.

You need to buy the maintainer anyway and your car is gonna sleep for a few months so maybe put the ctek to the test and see if it can bring it back to life before you rush out and buy a new battery.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have six or seven 'battery Tender' brand and have used them many years for dormant cars. However while searching for a tender that would do 6volt systems I found a nice looking item at Pep boys which seems to have more sophisticated electronics and automatically adapts between 6 and 12v systems. Connectors are interchangeable with the Bat Tender brand, and it was cheaper.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Porsche tender. Given to me as a gift. I works good, but I find it is not a snug fit with the cigarette lighter. Not a confident seating and easily knocked out of position of contact.

Maybe I'm missing an adapter??
Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

i have used this one I purchased from Suncoast on 3 different vehicles over the years never an issue after 4 to 5 months of winter no start storage

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=POTE993CM

Quick Reply: Battery issues/Intelligent trickle chargers