Sponsored by:

Is this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That is quite a bit of damage - sorry to hear about it!

I assume you are going to replace the oil cooler and flush all lines as well? Those metal bits can get everywhere, and last you thing you want is some bit to come back into the engine.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say go with the RS cam setup if you dont plan to convert to mechanical. GT2 Evo cams using the Hydraulic lifters was a nightmare of machine work on my car. The RS cams are similar to what Ruf used on the TurboR conversion cars. In the end we did the conversion to mechanical rockers and from what I understand there is only maintenance at pretty normal times when the engine would be out anyhow. Also... Valve float on the Hyd. setup, Hydraulics can never match the action of a cam in the mechanical state for reaction times. Not only with cars, I see this scenario very often in the machining world. The idea of metal on metal with no spring isn't the best in the world for wear and tear, and a hydraulic cam setup eases these stresses but with that action... is an equal and/or opposite reaction . Kevin (UMW) and I had this conversation a little while back. As well as the guys from Webb Cams have the same views when we were piecing my motor together. Just my .02

When staying 3.6 you will also have to machine the bottom skirts on the pistons to clear the pauter rods. With the carillo rods there is a bit of case machine work. Either way... Machine machine machine.

Last edited by carmstrongls1; 12-12-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
She'll be back on the track in no time Dave. Lots of good upgrades there looks alot like my engine (you have k24/18g's not 16g's btw)
Right and thanks a million to making that an easyt transaction, I think they are yet to be unpacked and still in the box in the shop.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carmstrongls1
I would say go with the RS cam setup if you dont plan to convert to mechanical. GT2 Evo cams using the Hydraulic lifters was a nightmare of machine work on my car. The RS cams are similar to what Ruf used on the TurboR conversion cars. In the end we did the conversion to mechanical rockers and from what I understand there is only maintenance at pretty normal times when the engine would be out anyhow. Also... Valve float on the Hyd. setup, Hydraulics can never match the action of a cam in the mechanical state for reaction times. Not only with cars, I see this scenario very often in the machining world. The idea of metal on metal with no spring isn't the best in the world for wear and tear, and a hydraulic cam setup eases these stresses but with that action... is an equal and/or opposite reaction . Kevin (UMW) and I had this conversation a little while back. As well as the guys from Webb Cams have the same views when we were piecing my motor together. Just my .02

When staying 3.6 you will also have to machine the bottom skirts on the pistons to clear the pauter rods. With the carillo rods there is a bit of case machine work. Either way... Machine machine machine.
THanks for that. I am going to research this a little heavier...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
THanks for that. I am going to research this a little heavier...
Umm no you don't

GT2 evo cams with mechanical valve train and thats it. Hydraulics are for RS cams only and those are very very mild cams. Send your 993tt rockers to CMW and have them convert them to mechanical. They will be lighter and stronger than the 964 parts people use and cheaper in the end.

You are basically building my same engine and trust me you will not be sorry. If you have any questions Dave just let me know
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Which shop is rebuilding your engine?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

See just like Spartan said. That was what I wanted to say in a nutshell. Learn from our headaches LOL.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

please tell more about the rocker conversion... I am interested and I used the 930 components that were very $$$.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carmstrongls1
please tell more about the rocker conversion... I am interested and I used the 930 components that were very $$$.
Rumor was that the GT2 racing parts were really off the shelf turbo parts that were modified (cut off part of the top & polish it, weld up oil hole for the hydraulic lifter, add the adjustment screw, etc). The guys at CMW told me that they do this for PMNA which may be BS but its funny anyway. Most places I called had no idea people did this so the pool of available shops with prior experience was small and CMW's name came up. Was $900 out the door if I recall and my engine builder at Kelly Moss was happy with the quality of the work. Fwiw 993 turbo rockers are stronger and lighter than the 930 stuff (which is the same as the 964 stuff I think).

Now the other other mod which some shops tend to miss are the oiling mods needed on the cam towers. My memory is fuzzy but I beleive you must restrict oil in a spot and then backdate the oil spray tubes to the 964 style and possibly enlarge the holes on the bar. Don't quote me on that I'm trying to remember what was actaully done with the holes but I know the spray bar does get changed.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

oh boy... oil mods... They didn't mention this during the conversion process on my motor.

Do tell more... Or new thread starter since this is bordering on a high jack.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Okay. So Master Todd just told me that he ordered my setup with bolt in mechanical rockers that are fed through the shaft versus the spray type. So I am guessing this is a mod to consider. I was worried a second there about oil starvation.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a GT3 Oil pump, no oil starvation for me!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

thats the coolest emoticon fitment I have seen yet.

Quick Reply: Is this bad?