Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Love the cup
Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
have not seen that much corrosion on rotors before - wow!
There was ~2-3" of air in each line, I'd guess, and given that car was so lightly driven, I think what was happening is pads were barely squeezed at all when brakes were applied. Car was probably stopping sufficiently on the rears. Hence the rust build up. After bleeding, pads are already cleaning off the rusted section. Needless to say, this is just to make the car driveable long enough to get it to the shop for brake overhaul.
How did all that air get in lines in first place? I won't know for sure until everything is apart but theory is that the pads were so corroded that they weren't retracting, and the drag against the rotor was enough to heat up and boil the fluid. All the other systems seem to be fine, but a trip to Dawe's will confirm.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Funny. I'm not a big fan of much that isn't a plain Jane black interior but I really like the wood.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
O.B.1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wood looks great . Kudos for bringing it back!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
You do not need a Ti alternative, just do not use impact wrenches on the nuts, they are plenty strong for their designed use. I do an initial loosen using a breaker bar, and then roll the nuts off with a small impact driver, the same goes for putting them back on. Very little impact that way, and its still quicker than totally doing it by hand. Torquing properly is important as well, 96 ft-lbs does it.
Pretty much exactly how I do it. I break them free with a breaker bar, then use a 3/8"-drive electric impact to spin them the rest of the way off. When I started working on Porsches, the service manager told me never to use air on the lugs.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Funny. I'm not a big fan of much that isn't a plain Jane black interior but I really like the wood.
I know what you mean. Once upon a time, I was more dogmatic around archetypes:
British cars: get painted colors from nature, have glossy wood trim, and get upholstered in colors with names like "biscuit."
German cars: shades of silver, with black leather and aluminum/stainless trim
Italian cars are... red, with latitude for avante garde interior color/trim
French cars... well its a null set so who cares

I'm mellowing and in any event have now had many years of fun with all-out racecars, vintage cars of all extremes, and if my most recent Porsche has an interior reminiscent of a cabin in a high end yacht, well so be it.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And you'd be surprised what that wood cost. I think it was in the vicinity of $10k extra.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Is that $10K to have wood?

(sorry could not resist).... :-)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Yup, it's been a week since I saw these pics and even though I much prefer plain Jane black to carbon fibre or Al, I really like this wood. Maybe I'll chop down that walnut in the back yard an polish 'er up!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Default 993tt at NJMP

Turns out today was a Schattenbaum PCA track day at NJMP on the lightning circuit. My kid is home on fall break, and I just bought this nifty turbo, so we awakened at O'dark thirty, (42F) packed the tt with all the track gear it can hold (note: not much) and drove to Millville. Extracted the cup car from it's garage, begged the registrar to add two more to the black group, topped up fuel and pressures. (44 lbs rear? really?) and headed out for some cold weather lapping.

Forrest took the cup car, I set out in the new tt. First session was somewhat terrifying. I haven't driven a street car on the track in 7-8 years. I'd forgotten all about the complete absence of feedback, squishy input response, engine is silent but tires are noisy. My brakes as I described are junk so I was cautious in braking zones. Next session I took the cup car out to remind myself how to lap at speed. Next time with the tt was much better, pushing harder a lot of the vagueness goes away. At least under cornering loads. Any kind of straight line and especially the high speed curved back 'straight' were sorta spooky; the car yawing and wandering in a way no racecar would. Still i glimpsed 135 on the front straight which is mighty impressive given the conservative brake points I'd established.

Anyhow, a fun time on a beautiful day. Around 4 we figured we'd had enough fun, and drove the tt back home. We appreciated the compliant ride, powerful stereo, and cozy wood trimmed cabin! Doubt I'll track it again, it's not very satisfying in bone stock trim and I'm certainly not going to mod it. (I'll appreciate all that ground clearance when snow falls!) No fewer than three folks came up to me to wag their finger and admonish me not to track such a special car. These things are really revered by the community!
Attached Images    

Last edited by BrandonH; 11-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Default re-commissioning underway!

Finally got the car up to the Dawes family. Happy to see those cruddy rotors go away, this looks much better! now to rebuild/restore those calipers.
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you have them look over the suspension on the car? And look at your shimmy?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlme36
Did you have them look over the suspension on the car? And look at your shimmy?
Well I think the shimmy was mostly caused by the horrible condition of the rotors; I believe the pads weren't retracting and were dragging on the corroded, uneven wear of the rotors. After two days on the track (which was fairly reckless of me now that I see what was under there) the rotors started to clean up and shimmy went away.

Relative to the rest of the suspension: it will be totally disassembled, bead blasted, plated/powder coated, and re-assembled with new bushings, wheel bearings, sensors, etc etc. Just too many Pennsylvania winters. It will be like new underneath.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:37 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent purchase! Now (koff, koff) if you ever want to sell the cup ...

Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

The tt is the last of the classic Porsches, the ultimate expression of the aircooled 911, even if the body shape evolved a bit. I think it would look great with the Classic Fuchs look. Maybe it's also because one of my prior Porsches was a '78 white coupe with Fuchs. (and wild green plaid seats)
So when I found out Fuchs was back in production with 18" versions for our cars, I ordered a set from a shop in the UK (no US dealers yet I guess)
The car is still at Dawes and I don't have any tires to mount but here they are:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: White/Black/Burlwood 993; intro and questions