Intake air temperatures and intercooling at track

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Intake air temperatures and intercooling at track

Hey guys,

I thought I'd post this here since I believe many of you turbo folks have fiddled with your engines and have deeper knowledge/experience about them.
As a background I have an extensively modified 993 C2 with an Eaton supercharger. This is the first season with the SC and I am having problems with too high IAT's. I have a water/air intercooler which works fine on the street but at the track it is not up to the task.
I see IAT's rise past 50-degrees and sometimes even in the low 60s (celsius).
Motec is pulling back the ignition (4dgr past 50*C and 6dgr more past 60*C), since the max advance is 17dgr (high CR and SC) it is obvious that I am cutting the torque dramatically when the IAT exceeds 60 degrees.

The question is; What kind of IAT's do you see with your turbos at track?

I just bought a GT2 evo tailbase, hoping to get more cool air into the engine bay and I am also thinking about ditching the water/air intercooler for a larger air to air unit. But even with those, will I be able to keep the IAT's in check? Or should I look into water/alcohol injection etc.?

The car is a bliss to drive with all that torque but after 2-3 laps I am seriously down on power and it is not fun anymore...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers!

Juha
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Here you go...

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi I'm traveling and using my iPhone... If you search under my username and DIY intercoolers you'll find some numbers/graphs on the track.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

this is a tough issue and unfortunately this is an apples to oranges discussion since the cooling setup on each motor is so vastly different. oil capacity, oil cooling, air intake, air cooling, engine cooling, aero, engine boost, engine ignition timing, etc all play significant factors in the heat equation.

Basal has some great data to use as a baseline for the turbo motor, you'll likely need to address each area of the equation and will be making small gains in each area which will hopefully result in a significant gain overall.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Thanks Pete!

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Hi I'm traveling and using my iPhone... If you search under my username and DIY intercoolers you'll find some numbers/graphs on the track.
Thanks, that was a lot of good reading! Thumbs up for the DIY job!!

Originally Posted by wagongotya
this is a tough issue and unfortunately this is an apples to oranges discussion since the cooling setup on each motor is so vastly different. oil capacity, oil cooling, air intake, air cooling, engine cooling, aero, engine boost, engine ignition timing, etc all play significant factors in the heat equation.

Basal has some great data to use as a baseline for the turbo motor, you'll likely need to address each area of the equation and will be making small gains in each area which will hopefully result in a significant gain overall.

I agree with you when we talk about engine cooling but that is not the issue I have. The engine stays cool enough all the time. It is just the intake air that gets too hot. The current system works fine on the street but it is not adequate for track duty. What ends up happening is the coolant gets hot and the small cooler up front is not able to cool it down enough.
There is no room for a bigger cooler and the current location is about ideal (next to the factory oil cooler), with regards to the best flow trough the cooler.

I think the GT2RS cooler setup might be a good approach.
Also, I read somewhere that the 993turbo stock ecu pulls back the timing only 6dgr when the IAT gets over 70.5dgr.
My IAT never goes that high (max. is about 63dgr) so maybe I am being too conservative with my IAT correction.
The Motec is now pulling 4 degrees when the IAT hits 50*C and an additional 6 degreees when it reaches 60*C. Maybe I should make it 4dgr at 60*C and 10dgr more at 70*C instead!?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old gt2 racer used to get to 50 deg c and the power and boost would drop off, this was with a secan intercooler in the rear window with a duct from the roof, that exited under the car. it couldnt be in the standard place as i run multi throttles with high carbon plenums so theres no room. my point being it dropped to 30 deg c when i re routed the ducting in through the rear quarters and out through the rear window. so if you get a good size intercooler make sure theres plenty of air to cool it, as i found crap air flow, crap charge temps even with a quality cooler. id keep the aquamist as well i use mine on the gt2 evo engine. 50/50 water methanol. the more cooling the better in the inlet tract!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry just re read your post, id go air to air on the ic. a standard 993 turbo 1 is good for low boost?

regards mark
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Ok, I just purchased a set of 997 GT2RS intercoolers. I will follow rennlister Basal Skull's footsteps and fab my own intercooler using the GT2RS cores.

Out with the water and in with the air! (the water didn't really even belong to an aircooled car IMHO...)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Ok, I just purchased a set of 997 GT2RS intercoolers. I will follow rennlister Basal Skull's footsteps and fab my own intercooler using the GT2RS cores.

Out with the water and in with the air! (the water didn't really even belong to an aircooled car IMHO...)
Cool!

Quick Reply: Intake air temperatures and intercooling at track