Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amazing car...RUF Turbo R

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:00 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

Mickfluff Great looking car, keep looking for the turboR they are worth the wait...Bob 5760242500_a5aeec413f_o[1][1].jpg
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A Ruf VIN Turbo R recently sold in Europe for €110K. It was a very late build car (2004) and had the bumpers, steering wheel, gauges and IRC. From memory it took 6-7 months to sell.

There's been a screaming yellow 993 converted to Turbo R spec for sale in Europe for a couple of years for between €150K and €100K, currently at €110K. It has a pretty high spec (IRC, seats, wheels, gauges, bumpers, etc).
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the RUF engine conversion replace the valve guides as part of the upgrade? And did I read here that the engine upgrade is performed without removing the engine from the car? That doesn't seem possible. They are lovely beasts.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Almost certain it's engine out as the cams are replaced.

Ruf will also insist on a refresh depending upon mileage - they want to ensure all advertised horses and present and accounted for and that there's room for a few more in the coral.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, engine comes out. RUF (including the conversions that I witnessed at RUF Dallas) ensures that the engine is healthy before the conversion. Since my car started as a C4S, it got a new crated TT engine, and they converted it to a Turbo R.

I believe that there are videos of Steve's conversion. It was thorough, extensive, and very impressive.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

A word of caution on Ruf VIN cars... I've heard (no direct knowledge) that California and perhaps other states make it difficult/impossible to register a Ruf VIN car. Be sure to check your state's regulations. Does anybody have any facts if this is true or not?

My conversion (done by the previous owner) was done at 86,000 miles. The case was split and new bearings, chains, pumps, and brand new cylinder heads were installed.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Almost certain it's engine out as the cams are replaced.

Ruf will also insist on a refresh depending upon mileage - they want to ensure all advertised horses and present and accounted for and that there's room for a few more in the coral.
Definitely an engine out job.

RUF also does a complete diagnostic on the motor and only provides their warranty if everything is up to spec and running properly. They did a complete refresh on my motor when they did the upgrade. Complete overhaul, pistons, rods, crank, as well as new hoses, clamps, timing chain, etc, etc. They also replaced the flywheel, clutch, MAF. Basically anything that was a wear item was replaced. I went overboard a bit, but wanted all the work done by RUF which they could stand behind. They also put in the oil return lines.

In looking back I'm happy with my decision. Peace of mind knowing that everything is up to spec was worth it.

On market value, the only data I have is folks that have approached me to buy my car. Lots of in bound calls and inquiries that have trickled in over the years, but we usually never get to a number since the car isn't for sale. The last actual "offer" I received was just north of $130K from a guy in Russia?!

I've however promised a first look to a gentlemen who frequents Teamspeed if I ever do decide to sell. It's safe to say that the RUF would be at the very bottom of his list of cars. It might develope an inferiority complex residing in that garage!! One more reason to hold on to her.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I try to not park shabby old Rufus too close to Kevin's factory fresh Turbo R. It is indeed awesome.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I try to not park shabby old Rufus too close to Kevin's factory fresh Turbo R. It is indeed awesome.
Pleeeeeeaz!!!

I seem to remember a day not too long ago when Rufus and Pong's RUF were more than holding their own.

I think it's time for another drive...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Drdoug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just dropped off my bumpers at the painters a couple weeks ago too!
Just got the car out of storage and tuned up this weekend.... I love this car!

Marin, please post pics ASAP
Cheers
Doug
Originally Posted by marin77
Me too ;-)

There are a few on the forum - including some with rear center exhaust which adds a fair amount of drama in my opinion!!

Mine is at the tech as we speak getting its long awaited body work (front / rear bumpers + a-pillar kit). Will post pics when complete.

Cheers.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

I will as soon as I get it back ... Not for a while ... They're taking their time with fitting which is fine by me and I then have a few mechanical bits a pieces to fix.

Did you buy your bumpers a few months ago? Missed out on a set in your area (that went out to a local buyer) before finding mine.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Drdoug
Intermediate

Marin, I'm in the same boat, the shop I use is really busy and the owners are perfectionists so it's gonna be awhile before the bumpers are prepped/painted and fitted as my shop just called for me and heard they were short on painters due to vacation....
They are the local set... They were the last set sold out of Weissach a few years ago to the guy I bought them from...he had them on his C4S, these bumpers seem hard to come by now
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdoug
Marin, I'm in the same boat, the shop I use is really busy and the owners are perfectionists so it's gonna be awhile before the bumpers are prepped/painted and fitted as my shop just called for me and heard they were short on painters due to vacation....
They are the local set... They were the last set sold out of Weissach a few years ago to the guy I bought them from...he had them on his C4S, these bumpers seem hard to come by now
Would really like to see your car once done, I think it would be the only one in Vancouver with such a setup!

I'm guessing Korva is doing the job?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,
My car was converted at Weissach (probably the last convertion they did). I was indeed second in line for your bumpers. PM sent.
Marin
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
ctr2
Instructor

I had my Ruf vin cars registered and titled in New Jersey. The DMV was actually helpful with making sure that the cars were titled as Ruf cars, not Porsches. I believe Ruf converted cars are titled and registered as Porsches.

Quick Reply: amazing car...RUF Turbo R