Sponsored by:

amazing car...RUF Turbo R

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 AM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

Click on the history report, 98 4S, I think Ruf converted 4S's in Germany, 530HP? a little more than most, if all work done by Ruf, I'd say good deal, bodywork is big $$ alone.

Last edited by AC/911's; 07-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Mick, I have no info on that particular car. There are very few pictures. It may look like 996 sport seats with white painted backs. I would really want to see all of the modifications first, could it could be really "tacky"?

The aerokit 2 tail gap against the driver's fender looks off to me. I would want to know who did all of the new bumpers, tail, etc. Are the bumpers RUF or knock offs? That could impact fitment.

My car was a C4S. But was delivered from the factory with the Aerokit 2 package. Since most C4S didn't have rear wings, they had to be fitted with one at Conversion to accomodate the intercooler. RUF liked the use the Aerokit 2 (Turbo S) wing, from what I hear. The good think about at C4S conversion is that the engine had to be replaced with a turbo engine prior to conversion to a turbo R. Mine got a new engine from the Porsche factory. Make sure that you get all of the paperwork on that.

I have no idea what difference in price a C4s makes. The only difference in my car is that it doesn't have leather everywhere (dash, doors, etc), does not have the boosted clutch (my preference), and doesn't have the turbo boost level in the on board computer. I added a manual boost gauge on my car.

Let me know if I can help. My email is the same as my username @gmail.com. Good luck. But be careful!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
The aerokit 2 tail gap against the driver's fender looks off to me.
So does the gap between the bottom edge of the engine cover to the top of the red lens running across the rear of the car. Rear badge is in a funny place too.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mick,

To Patrick's point, paperwork is everything. You can either (i) get a copy of the full invoice from whoever made the conversion (Ruf in Germany or the Ruf authorized distributor at the time) which will also give you mileage at time of conversion (conversion from 4s is more expensive than conversion from Turbo so invoice should reflect that) and / or (ii) get confirmation from Ruf Germany (Claudia Mueller) that the car is on their registry of cars. IMHO, conversion from C4s or Turbo does not really matter given the substantial modifications to the car - just my 2c as recent buyer of a Turbo R (mine happens to be a converted Turbo).

If the car was modified in North America, Ruf may only be able to confirm that they sent a full kit the shop (RAC, Weissach?) and then you need the corresponding invoice from such shop.

The detail / quality of the work is important: 1) Turbo R package should already include the modified exhaust (not sure if the ad refers to a separate stainless steel sports exhaust); 2) Body work should be OEM (Ruf for the bumpers and Porsche for the S Tail - a lot of cheap knock-offs around); 3) the wheels are not Ruf wheels (if you want to add them later, budget accordingly); 4) shaved rain gutters are a very expensive option (again should have been done at Ruf / Ruf authorized distributor); 5) 530 HP is more than the Turbo R package stated 490 HP (has the car been further modified after the Ruf conversion? if so, who did the work?). All this points back to the need to have the invoice detailing all the Ruf conversion work (and subsequent work as applicable).

Good luck - hope it works out for you - sure looks to be a good match for what you wanted. Happy to chat if needed - marinlgagliardi at yahoo.com - happy to check my conversion invoice details if you have any specific questions though.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I always thought the turbo had a heavier duty ring and pinion in the transmission which is why the case is bigger and the engine in the turbo sits back another inch or so as compared to a C2/C4. I guess Ruf felt the transmission in a C2/C4 was robust enough not to change it?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PM

PM'd my number... thanks would like to chat

Originally Posted by marin77
Mick,

To Patrick's point, paperwork is everything. You can either (i) get a copy of the full invoice from whoever made the conversion (Ruf in Germany or the Ruf authorized distributor at the time) which will also give you mileage at time of conversion (conversion from 4s is more expensive than conversion from Turbo so invoice should reflect that) and / or (ii) get confirmation from Ruf Germany (Claudia Mueller) that the car is on their registry of cars. IMHO, conversion from C4s or Turbo does not really matter given the substantial modifications to the car - just my 2c as recent buyer of a Turbo R (mine happens to be a converted Turbo).

If the car was modified in North America, Ruf may only be able to confirm that they sent a full kit the shop (RAC, Weissach?) and then you need the corresponding invoice from such shop.

The detail / quality of the work is important: 1) Turbo R package should already include the modified exhaust (not sure if the ad refers to a separate stainless steel sports exhaust); 2) Body work should be OEM (Ruf for the bumpers and Porsche for the S Tail - a lot of cheap knock-offs around); 3) the wheels are not Ruf wheels (if you want to add them later, budget accordingly); 4) shaved rain gutters are a very expensive option (again should have been done at Ruf / Ruf authorized distributor); 5) 530 HP is more than the Turbo R package stated 490 HP (has the car been further modified after the Ruf conversion? if so, who did the work?). All this points back to the need to have the invoice detailing all the Ruf conversion work (and subsequent work as applicable).

Good luck - hope it works out for you - sure looks to be a good match for what you wanted. Happy to chat if needed - marinlgagliardi at yahoo.com - happy to check my conversion invoice details if you have any specific questions though.

Last edited by mickfluff; 07-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default RWD car...

The car started its life as a 1998 S (not 4s) so a rear wheel drive 500+hp car now... Curious peoples thoughts on this as I am not sure I have ever seen a rwd Turbo Ruf R. Thoughts?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by mickfluff
The car started its life as a 1998 S (not 4s) so a rear wheel drive 500+hp car now... Curious peoples thoughts on this as I am not sure I have ever seen a rwd Turbo Ruf R. Thoughts?
That would scare the **** out of me. Also want to know if the brakes were upgraded to C4S/Turbo.

This is starting to sound like a lot of $$ for what it is. Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Yes

Yes the car had the Big reds swapped in....good question.
The car had a new RUF engine swap (not the stock engine turbo'd) so that is positive....

Originally Posted by Texas993
That would scare the **** out of me. Also want to know if the brakes were upgraded to C4S/Turbo.

This is starting to sound like a lot of $$ for what it is. Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

Lot of work, done at RUF I assume
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Here is the data

I am verifying now with RUF Germany the following...But all seems to be checking out so far. I have the RUF invoices etc...and engine numbers... The swap/work was done in Puerto Rico, The engine built in Germany RUF and shipped in completely built to Puerto Rico, then RUF sent out two Technicians to do the work, they did a total of 3 cars in the region as there are a few of these cars there and I guess a group of Porsche enthusiasts in the area.

Not as ideal if car was done in Dallas, or Germany etc I agree but if all checks out and I can get it verified I am OK with how the work got done as still done by RUF.

I will know Monday as Germany RUF closed now I believe but I have the questions into the right people through my contact at Ruf/Michigan...

Thanks... any other comments I am all ears guys and thanks again for your input.

Originally Posted by rare911s
Lot of work, done at RUF I assume
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Jae.S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know whos this is, but this... . I hope some day I can get mine converted, if they even still have it. It would be funny owning one remember when I used to play Grand Turismo 2 wondering what a "RUF" was and why it looked like a porsche

Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Mick My previous owner gave me all the invoices on his conversion in Germany I can forward them or meet you perhaps this weekend and give you a ride and look over a conversion from germany..I have been to Ruf in Germany and they have a few clients from Puerto Rico who keep their cars in Germany year round and vacation in Germany for a month at a time, so the Puerto Rico conversion may not be a big deal... also Jet Blue to Fla. would be fun Bob
Old 07-20-2012, 10:15 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickfluff
It will take a very robust, fully functioning LSD to get the car planted and ALL the driver's attention to keep it that way. All GT2's, including various stage Evo's were 2WD. Not for the faint of heart ... on the street, in the rain, with oncoming traffic.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Texas993
Race Car

I wouldn't be concerned about RUF techs doing the conversion in PR. Pretty typical.

BTW, it is not unusual for the RUF conversion to dyno at > 490 hp. My dyno sheet after conversion shows over 500 hp.

I'm glad that the car is passing the hurdles. Keep doing the homework!

Quick Reply: amazing car...RUF Turbo R