Importing into the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Tokyo Joe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Importing into the US

Hi,

Possibility of a move to the US (Virginia) in the new year - anyone have any experience/knowledge of bringing a car like my turbo from Japan into the US?

Thanks!

TJ
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If it isn't a North American spec car originally, you will have to have the car extensively modified to meet that importation criteria .. I understand from others who have brought european RS models of 993 into the U.S. that the base cost of doing that is around $60K u.s. IF you can get approval. It can take over a year just to find out if you can even proceed.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Its easy to import into Canada (we have lots of Japanese origin cars) but not the US - as said above, its too painful.

How are the prices of Turbo's in Japan these days?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is a salvage title a possibility?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 AM
Tokyo Joe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all, that's good to know albeit quite disappointing since I don't want to really part with my P&J.

Turbo prices are steady (for 993's) the excitement here seems to be around RS and GT versions.

Looks like I'll have to consider selling and look out for another one in the US...or take the leap and move to a 356 outlaw project
Old 06-17-2012, 02:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tokyo Joe
Looks like I'll have to consider selling and look out for another one in the US...or take the leap and move to a 356 outlaw project
I think that's the smart decision .. especially if your current car is RHD which I'm assuming it is. An RHD vehicle in North America takes a HUGE value hit so there's that as well. I think you should just look at this as an opportunity for change ..
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi Tokyo Joe,

I wouldn't give up hope yet for a variety of reasons. You should do some HS-7 Form research and other importing research. I can't help but think a car can be imported for less than $60K (LOL). (It's not a TVR Sagaris or a Lotus 340r)

A couple of things. Your car is getting close to the 25 year mark where it CAN be imported without federal restrictions. So this is in part why I bothered to register, as a long term lurker, is if you love your car you might be able to wait and import it relatively easily if you wait and hold on to it.

Also as a foreigner you can import it legally for a 1 year at a time - drive it to Canada and reimport it for another year if you are officially still not a foreigner. Not sure if that loop hole still exists. An import lawyer could help you with this for a lot less then $60k.

Finally, if you research the Federal Register there are firms that have a good report with the NHSTA and EPA to get cars imported if they are very similar to the same versions of cars here. I think what is key to go this route, potentially the $60k route, is finding a firm that specializes in this and they have done it before - if not regularly.

You will not get in with the 'show and display' means. That is not ideal anyway - but I suppose you could wait the 25 year period.

I guess what I'm saying is while I don't know everything and have not checked out the Federal Register's denials and approvals lately - don't give up on a car that is special to you for import. Do your research and try to find the right people to get the job done at a reasonable price.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Vyper
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yours is a RHD turbo, I believe it worth much more in this part of the world then bringing it to US and covert it to a LHD. The market in hong kong (RHD also) is asking us$115k for a 993 tt and we don't see a lot of them for sell. I am sure it is the same situation in Japan. If I were you, I would sell it in Japan for top dollar and then get another one in US (probably only cost half as much!) It will be another story if you are going to another RDH country though!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PiB993
Hi Tokyo Joe,
I wouldn't give up hope yet for a variety of reasons. You should do some HS-7 Form research and other importing research. I can't help but think a car can be imported for less than $60K (LOL). (It's not a TVR Sagaris or a Lotus 340r)
Actually, the cost isn't based on value or complexity, it's based on process and the two owners of cars that have been imported successfully that I've spoken to did that a few years ago, I'm sure it's more now. Bruce Canepa http://www.canepa.com/ is one company that specializes in this process here on the west coast, I know he's brought in a couple of Seinfeld's 993 variants over the years, and a call to his shop might give you a better idea as to cost. Recently I read a post here about a guy from Sweden that was able to bring his 993 RSCS in for 6 months, if you're only staying for a short time, that might be an option:
Originally Posted by Banning
I met Peter Thelin about two years ago. He is from Sweden but lives in China (for business reasons) and is an avid Porschephile. He contacted me because of his interest in Mulholland and he had heard about The Mulholland Experience book.

We have spent some time together when he has been in town. I took him to TRE last year to meet Dave. It seemed to be a good collaberation.
Dave has some great race parts at his shop. Also Peter joined the infamous RGRUPPE recently.

He is planning an article for a European Magazine on Mulholland Drive and is gathering info for it.

Two sundays ago he brought his Porsche up to Mul to let me drive it.
He says it is the only 993RS in the U.S. I think he said it was a 1996. He bought it when it was almost new, sold it briefly, and bought it back.
He has had it back for 12 years now.

The day previous he unloaded it off the docks in the LA Harbor. It had just arrived from Sweden.
He is only allowed to keep it here in the U.S. for 6 months, and then back it goes.

Anyway he hadn't called me that Sunday and I was not sure if he was coming up to Mul or not.
When he arrived I had already started Cocktail hour and so I said no thanks to driving, but that he could give me a demo to Grandstands and back.

The car is pretty quiet even though quite stiff. Power is even thru the powerband. Handles flat and even. Brakes squeeled in the rear.
Overall a nice road car. It is reported to have 300bhp and it is a stripped model with no heavy undercoating.
I did expect it to be faster. Has torque but didn't pin me to the seats like the Space Shuttle taking off.

We did have a nice drive to Deadmans and back with little traffic.
He mentioned having a few Mulholland meetings this summer and that he would bring his RS.
I thought this might be an interesting idea albeit perhaps not a safe one. lol
I can see it now, Radu, Derek, Peter and myself (in Porsches) taking a casual drive to dirt Mul one evening. Oh Boy!
Remember the speed limit is 30mph and it is unlawful to cross over the double yellow line.
Anyone care to join us?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Lovely RS. Also, http://www.jktechnologies.net/ they have done many many imports over the years. Also, http://www.ncdlinc.com/NCDLINC/CERTIFICATION.html These are the people who do the work for Canepa if would appear.

Last edited by PiB993; 06-21-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Quick Reply: Importing into the US